Favorite Sports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's an acquired taste.

JRabbit, despite what they've told you, don't follow the puck. Asher's right on that one, follow the players and see the plays developing.
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Playoff hockey is really good. Regular season is ok, but I've always felt there was a pretty noticeable gap in the level of play. Hmm... always watched the puck. I'll have to try it your guys' way.

Aussie rules... ah, man. I used to watch it occasionally when I was a kid. I haven't seen it in years. Fun stuff.

-Arrian
      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
        I went to a Raptors game...
        See, there's your problem.

Originally posted by Lord Avalon View Post
        Damn, I miss Aussie Rules Football! Way back when I was in college, former network PASS would show it. I didn't know what it was, but all the strange things caught my eye - a really large field, running around with the ball - like a rugby ball but larger - and occasionally dribbling it , passing the ball with an underhanded punch, free kicks (didn't know how they got called), and those judges in long white coats making one- or two-handed pointing gestures. Eventually, they went to just showing highlights, and then I didn't see it anywhere. (I never had any sports channels that I'd have to pay extra for.)
        I used to catch it on MHz. Otherwise, http://www.afana.com/drupal5/tvsched

Originally posted by Asher View Post
        Following the location of the puck directly is both challenging and boring, and it gets rid of some of the more interesting aspects of the game (the positioning). It's a very elegant game when you start to be able to keep track of all of the players on the screen without concentrating on any one element.

The replays are when you follow the puck.
        I'll have to try that next season.
        Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

I used to hate watching Hockey on TV. But after watching on a BIG HD TV, I have changed my tune. In HD, you see a larger slice of the ice so it's easier to watch plays develop, and I don't have any problems following the puck anymore. (thanks god they don't need those special puck effects anymore since I saw enough trails back in school)

So a better Chicago team combined with large screen HD has really perked my interest as a hockey fan. But I have to admit that a lot of my lack of interest was due to BW (may he rot in hell) They didn't broadcast home games and being in the western conference a good percentage of they road games didn't start till just before bed time. Hard to sustain a large fan base with TV coverage like that. And Im sorry, hockey is one of the worst sports when it comes to radio coverage. It just doesn't translate well.

But in all honesty, HD has also improved my enjoyment of the NFL, Golf, and MLB.
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Yeah, having a 42" HDTV makes watching hockey a whole lot easier. And it's hard to argue with how awesome sports look in general. SD looks AWFUL now that I'm used to HD.

-Arrian
            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post

Asher's right on that one,

Anyone seen any orbiting swine or a cooling in Hades? Maybe it happens often despite your many differences but I don't know that I can recall witnessing one of you saying that the other was right about anything -- -

Seriously though-- All the people that like golf or MLB -- do you really follow the ball all the way in or off the bat or off the club? Or do you infer were it went from what the camera shows you and then pick it up again.

Hockey is the same-- I am pretty good at following the puck because I generally follow the patterns of play but you have to accept that lots of times the positions of other players flying around at high speed will obscure it from view

Its on the replay that you can truly apreciate how amazing that deflection or save was. When it happens initially it is just so freaking fast
              Last edited by Flubber; May 19, 2009, 16:23.
              You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Originally posted by Flubber View Post

Anyone seen any orbiting swine or a cooling in Hades? Maybe it happens often despite your many differences but I don't know that I can recall witnessing one of you saying that the other was right about anything -- -

Seriously though-- All the people that like golf or MLB -- do you really follow the ball all the way in or off the bat or off the club? Or do you infer were it went from what the camera shows you and then pick it up again.

Hockey is the same-- I am pretty good at following the puck because I generally follow the patterns of play but you have to accept that lots of times the positions of other players flying around at high speed will obscure it from view

Its on the replay that you can truly apreciate how amazing that deflection or save was. When it happens initially it is just so freaking fast
                The same holds for the first seconds of a football play. Once you train yourself to watch the center, guards and fullback (loosely interpreted, given the offensive sets today) at the snap, you know where the ball is going a lot more reliably than if you watch the quarterback, whose job it is to obscure that knowledge.
                Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Working...
                X