• Show
Clear All

• AHL- Apolyton Hockey League 08/09 (III): The Home Stretch

Previous Threads
    AHL- Apolyton Hockey League 08/09: Preseason
    AHL- Apolyton Hockey League 08/09 (II): Game On

(\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

This was a really werid season for me.

My auction team was about as stack as one can get (Alex, Iggy and Luongo on the same team!?) , I'd say far better than my traditional draft team (2 Red Wings and "not so good" goalies, but a stacked defense).

Yet the auction team is 2nd last, and the draft team is in my all time high of 6th place, 1st time in the playoffs!

I have no clue why. Anyone else want to take a guess?
    Former President, Vice-president and Foreign Minister of the Apolyton Civ2-Democracy Games as 123john321

Comment

You were top heavy. The key I think is a balanced team, not a few AWESOME players then a bunch of lesser players.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Actually, it depends (speaking from an auction point of view). If you can correctly identify a few 'sleepers' that you can buy for $1 or $2, then going top heavy can be a very solid strategy; or if you can gauge the market well and buy top players when they're undervalued (this happened in the baseball auction, where the values weren't set at first so a couple of people got players cheaper than they ultimately would have been worth if they'd been picked later on - things like the top hitter going for around the same amount as several other much lesser valued players). Certainly much more useful of a strategy in Auction than in Draft, anyhow. I won an NBA league in college with that strategy - had Kevin Garnett, Tim Duncan, and Ray Allen (scary how close that is to last year's Celtics) plus one of the better PGs (I don't recall which anymore) and a couple of players that turned out to be good sleepers (I think this was the Theo Ratliff breakout year, if I am not mixing it up with something else) and won by a country mile.

However, it doesn't look like that was the case for mrboo in this league
        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by mrboo123 View Post
          This was a really werid season for me.

My auction team was about as stack as one can get (Alex, Iggy and Luongo on the same team!?) , I'd say far better than my traditional draft team (2 Red Wings and "not so good" goalies, but a stacked defense).

Yet the auction team is 2nd last, and the draft team is in my all time high of 6th place, 1st time in the playoffs!

I have no clue why. Anyone else want to take a guess?
          Probably because your auction team was stacked on paper before the season started. Ovechkin was clearly a great choice (I'm loving him as my first overall pick in the regular league), but Iggy's having a down year and Luongo was injured for a long time and is only now starting to round back into form. Plus, in these head-to-head leagues, consistency is key. Players that score in bunches and then go dry can hurt, since some weeks it's overkill and other weeks they're worth as much as a fourth line grinder. I don't know how much that's playing a role for you, but it's always something to keep in mind.
          "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
          "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
          "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

It's a funny game. That's why I drafted partially for sentiment rather than entirely for anticipated profit. Although, I did think Horcoff would be more profitable.
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)
            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

The Euro-hating Sutter acquires Jokinen from Phoenix.
              "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
              "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
              "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Still no move by the hawks... interesting.

Comment

Still some info flowing in post-deadline, but it looks like the Rangers picked up Nic Antropov from the Leafs, Buffalo picked up Dominic Moore from same (in a 3 way deal, but no word on #3), and Nobody picked up Bouwmeester (stayed on Fla.)

No news on the Hawks picking up anyone, which is unfortunate.

Comment

Hmm, perhaps. I wouldn't have minded dropping a 2nd rounder and a 4th rounder or something on Nic Antropov, though.

Comment

Hmmmm, okay. Not sure I love it - I liked Wiz - but it certainly helps.

Comment

Sutter had a very good day. Another good grade off the top of my head for Howson in Columbus

I have big questions about Burke and the Leafs, as well as the brain-sucked trust in Tampa.

Something obviously blew up in Snow's face. Guerin should have fetched more than he did for the Islanders. I'd bet that earlier possible deals fell through and he scrambled to salvage something in the 3rd, 4th, or 5th conditional pick from the Pens.

Murray in Ottawa looks sized up for an epic fail label.
                        (\__/)
                        (='.'=)

Comment

Call me when you go on a real roll. 11 of 13 now.
                          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                          2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Calgary with Jokinen worries me deeply.
                            "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                            "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Excuse me, have you not been paying attention at all?

Calgary's been on a roll. That's why the Canucks haven't gained any ground and are still 8 points back. It wasn't too long ago Vancouver was ahead of Calgary and #1 in the division. Remember that, Ben?
                              I remember getting pasted for 8 by Tampa where Kippersoft let in 5 and got pulled, on something like 15 shots.

Edit: Calgary has 1 regulation loss in the last 12 games, Vancouver has 2. Your comment only confirms my beliefs that you don't know **** all about hockey outside of the Canucks.
                              Whether a loss is regulation or not, means nothing for the playoffs. Way I see it losses are losses, regardless if you get a pity point.

Let's not forget that Calgary is now a much better team post-trade deadline, while Vancouver has remained the same.
                              Calgary still has serious defensive problems.

Despite not having any serious injuries, they are the weakest of the division leaders by far. I really don't see why you are crowing about them. The Canucks have a winning record against you, and if not for Luongo missing 6 weeks, they'd still be first.
                              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                              2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Working...
                              X