AHL- Apolyton Hockey League 08/09: Preseason

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by snoopy369

You don't have a very long memory, do you?? We discussed having hits as a category a few pages ago... and most of the folks in the discussion liked the idea.
    Because it is a nice idea in theory and in theory alone. It's too unreliable a statistic.

I'm sorry -- have you played in leagues where hits was a stat? You know I love hits...my blog is called Open Ice Hits for christ sake. I just know from experience it's a bad statistical category for fantasy purposes.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Why didn't you chime in on this when we were discussing it on page 1 then??

And yes, I played in a league once with hits (my only non-apolyton hockey league ever)... I was basing using it on the fact that others who know about hockey wanted it, not anything of my knowledge, though.
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

• I'd like a straight-ahead draft as well. The auction might be interesting, but given all of our time constraints this year, I'd like to keep it as simple as possible.
        "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
        "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
        "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Why didn't you chime in on this when we were discussing it on page 1 then??
          Because it's pointless to discuss a stat not available in the system we are using...
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

You don't have a very long memory, do you?? We discussed having hits as a category a few pages ago... and most of the folks in the discussion liked the idea.
            In fairness - Asher never really chimed in on that

My bottom line is I would like to see some player stat where defencemen can do well. As it stands once you get past the elite d-men, you are mainly drafting them because you have to-- I would like a stat somewhere that does that

An Asher I admit that hits can be inconsistent but even that can play into draft knowledge--It is predictable that D-men will be in the leaders etc-- Its just that as we did the draft last year it was unidimensional for players-- With the partial exception of plus/minus everything was about scoring-- There was little of the real balancing

I would be happy with any stat that would be routinely led by someone other than the big pointsgetters-- But if we are at yahoo, with last eyars stats I didn't see much to change
            You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher

Because it is a nice idea in theory and in theory alone. It's too unreliable a statistic.

I'm sorry -- have you played in leagues where hits was a stat? You know I love hits...my blog is called Open Ice Hits for christ sake. I just know from experience it's a bad statistical category for fantasy purposes.
              Is it that bad really though Asher? -- Take a look at the hits for Flames last year-- Is there anyone that shocks you ? Well I was surprised to see Huselius somewhere made NINE of them on the season LOL-- But seriously the ranking to the players on hist is EXACTLY as I would have expected

So a hit gets counted here and there that shouldn't or the standard is a bit variable-- Stoll over the season I think it is predictable enough that people COULD make decisions on it
              You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• The problem is it is mostly consistent in the context of a team. It is less consistent when comparing team to team, due to different arena statisticians.

Comment

• If Asher's right and hits are excessively arbitrary, then hits are a bad idea (they should be predictable). Other options (out of ESPN's settings, as we don't know Yahoo's yet) are:

DEF Defensemen Points
                  (A)TOI (Average) Time on Ice

Both have some value for defensemen. I'd assume Yahoo! Has TOI/ATOI, but not sure about the latter.

Comment

• Why not do something like ERA+

Take the baseline for each position, and rank each player based on how they compare with everyone else in their position.

When you tally it up, match each position player with the opposing players week by week, and whomever comes out on top is the best player.
                    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• Because we do not run Yahoo Sports, Ben...

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher
                        The problem is it is mostly consistent in the context of a team. It is less consistent when comparing team to team, due to different arena statisticians.
                        While I can agree that there could be some variation, I don't think you can say something like LA guy gives hits easily

Yes Brown is prolific on the stat but the next LA King is ranked in 52nd place and there are exactly two LA Kings in the top 60 on hits so exactly average for a 30 team league and only 3 total players in the top 120 players.

If the stats guy was so easy in giving hits in LA wouldn't you think the LA players might have a few more??

THis is all moot because hits wasn't available at Yahoo anyway-- and there may be good reasons to reject it but Asher's anlalysis seems a bit flawed

Comment

• [Asher]But the Kings are a wussy team, so 3 in the top 120 is far more than they should have. [/Asher]

You seem busy today so I figure i'll make your responses for you

Also, documenting project requirements is annoying. Necessary, but annoying.

Comment

• Maybe the guy just had a man-crush on Brown. Don't know, don't care, it's an unreliable stat. You can't tell me you've never seen a game where they break down the "hits" per team per period and they strike you as completely nonsense?

Comment

[Asher]But the Kings are a wussy team, so 3 in the top 120 is far more than they should have. [/Asher]

You seem busy today so I figure i'll make your responses for you

Also, documenting project requirements is annoying. Necessary, but annoying.
                              The project requirements are already documented. I spent most of the day trying to explain the UI to the artistic team which is cutting XAML for our UI, and the kind of movement we need from it.

Comment

• Regarding the auction topic...

I participated in the Poly auction baseball draft this year, and it was really a blast. I had never done an auction draft before. I'd love to do an auction hockey draft; if we can't get enough folks for one this year, maybe next time.
                                "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                                "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Working...
                                X