AHL- Apolyton Hockey League 08/09: Preseason

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Guynemer
    Put me down for same roster size, but it's not a deal breaker for me. I'd also be interested in a live draft if possible, but I will be gone to the Stratford Festival mid-September for a few days.
    What dates exactly are you unavailable? If we do live we can have it later but it has to be before Sept 15 if I remember correctly (else Kontiki is away)
    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

No, for the full draft with 16 teams.

Most people know who they want when their turn comes up. It's the women that never know.
      90 minutes for a full draft with 16 teams?? So you are saying they did 160 to 240 picks in 90 minutes?? (roster size ?)

I would not have thought that was possible. I was thinking it would take more like 5 minutes for someone to see and respond to the last pick

But if that is typical , I absolutely would find the hour or two needed for our draft. MY ony concern is how I link in-- From workI find that poly can take over a minute just to post a one-liner-- If it takes a minute for me to refresh and see the last pick and a minute to post, I might be unacceptably slow even if I can type my choice in 10 seconds
      You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

FWIW, I just did a fantasy football draft online at Yahoo.

10 teams.
        25 rounds.
        64 minutes.
        Painless.

The only issue is, it's gotta be scheduled, and everyone's gotta show up or they get auto-picks. (Yahoo does let you set a priority list, so even if you can't make it, you can re-order their list, take guys you hate off your list, etc.)

The other plus is, you can draft much closer to the actual start of the season, get more people interested, and know more about rookies, injuries, etc.

It's worth considering.
        Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Originally posted by Flubber

90 minutes for a full draft with 16 teams?? So you are saying they did 160 to 240 picks in 90 minutes?? (roster size ?)

I would not have thought that was possible. I was thinking it would take more like 5 minutes for someone to see and respond to the last pick

But if that is typical , I absolutely would find the hour or two needed for our draft. MY ony concern is how I link in-- From workI find that poly can take over a minute just to post a one-liner-- If it takes a minute for me to refresh and see the last pick and a minute to post, I might be unacceptably slow even if I can type my choice in 10 seconds
          Yahoo's live draft is powered by a realtime Java applet. It streamlines things pretty quickly.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

You just highlight the name on a list and click the "draft" button. Everything refreshes in real time. You can even queue up your preferences for the next pick while others are making their choices. Quite slick, and extremely easy. My only complaint is that there was no "view by position" option. But there was a chat window for mocking other people's choices.

Mind you, this was the football interface, but I expect they're all about the same.
            RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

BTW, the 'bapay' time on a live draft is 30 seconds, I think.
              <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
              I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

The football draft I was in was standard settings: 1:30.
                I never really felt any time pressure.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
                  BTW, the 'bapay' time on a live draft is 30 seconds, I think.
                  It's tweakable
                  "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                  Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Ok I understand now-- the draft itself is done on yahoo-- If its as quick as that we may be able to do it almost on the verge of the season (I don't recall when Kontiki gets back but I think it was before season start

In any event, there are any number of times where I could find the hour or so to dedicate to a live draft

Comment

• If it's not :30 it should be... no pick should take more than :30.

Comment

• Originally posted by snoopy369
                        If it's not :30 it should be... no pick should take more than :30.
                        What if I am in trade negotiations?

Comment

• Make them quick

Comment

• Hi folks,

If you need someone to even out the teams and if you do a live draft, I'd be interested, but will be on vacation starting Sept. 28

And NYE and Flubber, thanks for the pm.
                            Golfing since 67

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher

The one in Canada? You creep, stay away from me.
                              Don't deny your attraction to me any longer, Asher.

Besides, I'd love to see Galnemer break you in half.
                              "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                              "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• Originally posted by Flubber

What dates exactly are you unavailable? If we do live we can have it later but it has to be before Sept 15 if I remember correctly (else Kontiki is away)
                                IIRC, we're leaving the 10th and returning that next weekend.
                                "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                                "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Working...
                                X