Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NHL Offseason Thread -- Vancouver Edition (NHL Offseason / NHL Golf Tourney)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you referring to the EA curse? That originated in hockey, but it didn't really go much further than Lindros... Ovechkin was the cover athlete last year. How did that work out?

<Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Ben doesn't actually follow hockey, snoopy.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
        Are you referring to the EA curse? That originated in hockey, but it didn't really go much further than Lindros... Ovechkin was the cover athlete last year. How did that work out?

Heatley?

Staal stalled, on top of being arrested.

It did no good for Owen Nolan either.
        (\__/)
        (='.'=)
        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Nolan was great last year.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

What the hell is this I'm hearing about the CBC dropping the HNIC theme song?
            "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
            "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Originally posted by Guynemer
              What the hell is this I'm hearing about the CBC dropping the HNIC theme song?

The composer of the song's copyright group want $2.5M. CBC offered $1M. They couldn't meet.

In swoops CTV (which owns TSN, Canada's version of ESPN really) which pays the fee and now owns the tune forever. TSN will use it next season for the games it airs with a Canadian team (they'll air 70 NHL games total next year), as well as when TSN covers the Olympic Hockey in 2010 (it's the first time CBC hasn't done the Olympics either, IIRC...CTV/TSN won that bidding war also)

Comment

Cliff Fletcher remains GM through 2009

Comment

I was sure there would be some mention or discussion of the two most interesting (edit: recent) off season issues, Trevor Linden's retirement, and the awards tonight.

/me
                  "Clearly I'm missing the thread some of where the NFL actually is." - Ben Kenobi on his NFL knowledge

Comment

Why would there be discussion for either?

Everyone knew about both pieces of news before they happened.

Comment

• Patrick Kane wins the Calder! Woot!
                      Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                      RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Yeah, that's what I suspected but was about the only award up in the air.

Comment

• Now if we can just make the playoffs next year, maybe Chicago can return to being a hockey town... It would surely be good for the league.
                          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• From last night's NHL Awards: Good God -- even being gazed upon by Elisha Cuthbert looks like it requires a dose of amoxicillin immediately ...

Cuthbert has her eye set on Iginla in this picture.

Hands off, you cold-hearted *****!

TBH, I think his wife (and high school sweetheart) is prettier.

Comment

• Langkow's staying with the Flames. Contract to be signed after July 1st, when the cap goes up.

Comment

• Rule changes for next year:

NHL
                                Decrease Text SizeIncrease Text Size
                                Text Size

The National Hockey League's Board of Governors endorsed three key rule changes in its annual meeting on Wednesday that will be implemented at the start of the 2008-09 season.

The first change will be for Rule 76.2 on faceoffs, placing the first faceoff of a power play in the defending zone of the team that committed the foul.

Second, a change to Rule 81.1 on icing will state that, "Any contact between opposing players while pursuing the puck on an icing must be for the sole purpose of playing the puck and not for eliminating the opponent from playing the puck. Unnecessary or dangerous contact could result in penalties being assessed to the offending player."

The last change will be to Rule 85.5 on faceoff location, saying that if a puck is shot off the goal frame, goal post or crossbar, the subsequent faceoff will remain in the end zone where the puck went out of play.

Also, the league announced Wednesday that the board endorsed immediate and long-term recommendations provided by the Goaltender Equipment Working Group and the league's competition committee and will work with goalies and equipment manufacturers on standards for the maximum size of all equipment that a player can wear.

Comment

Working...
                                X