No announcement yet.

MLB: Hot Stove Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking about it some more... I think the Angels got the better end of the deal.

-Arrian
    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Garland ultimately was a bit too feast/famine also, I think; he has hot streaks and then gets hit really hard. He's taken no hitters into the 6th or 7th several times, and I think has a losing record in those games (1-2, counting the 3 that I saw on tv or in person).

He's a lot like Javy Vasquez was two years ago and the start of last year; Javy was even worse though, he'd have a great game until about the 5th or so, and then lose it entirely giving up a huge inning, in almost every game; it was Ozzie's job to pull him when the big inning started, but the problem was that it would hurt his confidence, and then the big inning started getting earlier... in 2007 he finally stopped pulling him until after the big inning a few games, and it actually mostly stopped (he ended up being the Sox' best pitcher last year, I think, or possibly second to Buehrle). He learned how to pitch out of the big inning, which is key especially for a K pitcher.

The Sox have plenty of pitching, they have a lot of decent prospects; Gavin Floyd proved decent last year, and Denks did quite nicely. A rotation of Buehrle, Vasquez, Denks, Floyd, and (Contreras?) will be fine if we have a better lineup... and hopefully Jerry Owens can lead off all year next year, he's a very nifty leadoff batter in the old style (the Ricky-be-ricky style, without the annoying personality)
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Well, remember, Garland is going to be a 4th Starter for the Angels (after Lackey, Escobar, and Weaver). That's going to be one heck of rotation. Sure Garland will be feast/famine, but from your 4th Starter, that's not as big a deal as if he was your 2nd starter.
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

AL MVP - ARod, duh. Nearly unanimous, with (shocker!) the 2 guys who didn't vote for him as #1 being from Michigan papers.

More interesting to me are the down-ballot results (because really there isn't anything to debate about the top 2).

Posada finished 6th, which I find surprising because I think it's close to being right (I'd have him 3rd). Victor Martinez got some love too, coming in right behind Jorge. Maybe people are figuring out that catchers who can hit don't grow on trees.

Granderson and Sizemore should be higher and Lowell should be lower... as should Vlad, though he belongs in the top 10.

The way I see it:

1. ARod
          2. Magglio
          3. Jorge
          4. Papi
          5. Granderson
          6. Carlos Pena
          7. V. Martinez
          8. Ichiro
          9. Vlad
          10. Sizemore

That's w/o really digging into the defensive stats all that much. I know that ARod was basically average at 3B, I dunno about Ordonez in RF, Jorge had a below-average year at C, Papi doesn't play defense, Granderson is plus, Pena... is supposed to be good, I think, Martinez had a good year, Ichiro is at least a solid CFer, Vlad is average, maybe a tick below now, and Sizemore is good.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Jimmy Rollins gets the MVP! Truly deserving with the numbers he put up, but I'm sure Imran will make some argument that Holliday deserved it. Boohoo.

Next year: Chase Utley.
            "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
            "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
            "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

Holy crap, what a horrible NL MVP award.
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Comment

They just gave the NL MVP to a guy who wasn't even in the Top 10 in the NL in OBP or SLG. Are you kidding me?

Usually if its someone I consider somewhat deserving, whatever. But Rollins isn't even close. If they wanted to pick a Philly, pick Utley!!! At least Utley was 8th in the NL in adjusted OPS+. Rollins.. not in the Top 10. Hell, not close to it.

At least Utley would be a mediocre choice. Rollins is just a BAD choice.

Comment

Heh, they always manage to **** something up each year.

It gives us something to talk about (the AL was pretty boring), at least...

Snippet of reaching from Baseball Prospectus:'

This vote reflects the storyline, not the performance. All of the measures of performance that we have, from Value Over Replacement Player to Wins Above Replacement Player to…well, pick your favorite stat…yield roughly the same conclusion: that Jimmy Rollins was somewhere between the fifth- and eighth-best player in the NL this year, with overall value comparable to his double-play partner, Utley, who would himself have run away with this award if not for taking a John Lannan fastball off of his hand July 26. Even missing 28 games with the injury, Utley was as productive as Rollins was in a full season, a testament to the power of 66 points of on-base percentage...

...The three best players in the league finished fourth (Wright), seventh (Peavy) and ninth (Pujols) in the MVP balloting, not because their performance was lacking, but because their teammates were.
                    Much like Morneau over Jeter/Mauer last year in the AL.

-Arrian

Comment

Reaching, LOL. Reacting, I meant. If one is a Philly fan, you can take that as some sort of Freudian slip.

I, meanwhile, will take the opportunity to ***** about all the buttons on 'poly vanishing today. WTF? I can't edit posts, I can't hit reply (thank goodness for quick post), etc. Irritating.

-Arrian

Comment

Torii Hunter for 5 years/$90M? O M G.

Guess I watched too much baseball back in the 70's. These contracts for mediocre players nowadays are just stupid.

Comment

It's too much money, but Torii Hunter isn't really mediocre.
                          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                            It's too much money, but Torii Hunter isn't really mediocre.
                            Well, he's above average and 32. But then again, teams are making a TON of revenue, so why shouldn't salaries go up. After all, without the players, the owners aren't going to be making that money.

Comment

Torii Hunter's defensive contributions are the key. In classic "strong up the middle" baseball, a great CF is important. Hunter makes the corner OFs better, tracks down everything with his range and instincts, and can play shallow to reduce base advances. And managers love having a guy out there everyday who you never have to worry about.

He's one guy I am glad to see getting a big payday.

And I think I have to make the Angels the early favorite to win it all next year. Some nice early moves this offseason.
                              Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

I dunno, I think the Red Sox are still looking good
                                Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Working...
                                X