No announcement yet.

MLB: Hot Stove Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• who would ever imagine that a ball player's wife would get better drugs than he?

Comment

• Sordid. Defenitely a good use of Congress' time, too.

I've no stomach for it. I just hope they can get the testing to a point where the game is relatively clean going forward.

Pitchers and catchers... TOMORROW. Huzzah!

-Arrian
      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

• Truly one of my favorite phrases in American English:
        Pitchers and catchers report!
        Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Celizic: Clemens' charm won't work with Congress

Since when did Clemens have charm? Does no one remember that Zest commercial?

And what's with the "sick" smilie? It looks like crap - my eight-year-old could make a better smilie.
          "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
          "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
          "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

• Get me one and i'll try to make it happen.

(Sick smilie, not a bar of zest.)
            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

• Analysis of Clemens-McNamee testimony:
              Slate.com

Basically it echoes posts here, saying Clemens looked pretty bad...
              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Clemens' home town newspaper's online poll has McNamee more believable at a rate of 67-33. ouch

Did I mention here that my wife has met his attorney Hardin on a few occasions over the past few months at functions here? I haven't, too busy, but am looking forward to in the near future. Not as arrogant in a more private setting than he is on tv.

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                  Reading all this stuff about his testimony, Clemens is lying through his teeth and getting hammered for it again and again and again. He's looking far worse than any other ball player in front of Congress has looked.

It hurts him badly that Pettite came out against him.
                  IF it wasn't for Petitte it would just be his word against an admittted liar and drug dealer. Petitte is what really killed him.

Comment

• Sooo, HOF or no?
                    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• But the admitted liar and drug dealer says he's got syringes with Clemens' DNA and HGH on them.
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Doesn't matter. The HOF is full of liars, rascists, druggies and felons. Clemens was a HOFer long before '99, IMHO.

And yes, I feel the same way about Barry Bonds.

Comment

• It will be one epic epic day with shrub pardons clemens and doesn't pardon bonds. yes I know bonds has a little tax issue, but that will be ignored by the ****storm.

Comment

• Crystal Strikes Out in New Career

By BEN WALKER – 1 hour ago

TAMPA, Fla. (AP) — Billy Crystal whacked himself in the helmet with his backswing, found his shoelaces and socks sabotaged and watched his team lose.

Oh, and the New York Yankees rookie struck out in his one and only at-bat as a big leaguer.

"It was the strangest, greatest moment of my life," he said Thursday.

A day before his 60th birthday, the comedian, actor and Oscar host enjoyed every moment of the day he'd hoped for his entire life.

Talking ball with Yogi Berra and Reggie Jackson at the batting cage. Taking infield with Derek Jeter. Jogging in the outfield with Alex Rodriguez. Becoming a victim of clubhouse pranks. Getting a chance for the kind of hit he can't find in Hollywood or on Broadway.

"I felt like a baseball player," Crystal said. "I really hate to leave."

Wearing No. 60 and cheered on by fellow funnyman Robin Williams, the lifelong Yankees fan was no joke at the plate against Pittsburgh.

Players on both teams perched on the top step of the dugout when Crystal came up. They almost saw something special as he took Jeter's advice: "Swing early in the count."

Batting leadoff as the Yankees' designated hitter in the first inning, he took a late-but-solid cut at a fastball from Pirates lefty Paul Maholm. Crystal hit a chopper that got past first baseman Adam LaRoche, but came down 3 feet foul.

Crystal showed a patient, good eye and got ahead in the count 3-1. Maholm came back with a pair of cutters, and the right-handed Crystal swung over both 88 mph pitches.

"I was mad at myself for swinging at 'em," he said.

Especially the last one.

"It was ball four," said plate umpire Mark Carlson, who shook hands with Crystal before the at-bat.

Said Maholm: "I tried to lay it in there for him. I definitely didn't try to blow it by him."

"It was definitely a little nerve-racking," he said. "I'm glad I didn't have to watch it every day, him getting a hit off me."

The fans at Legends Field gave Crystal a standing ovation, and he raised his hand to acknowledge them. Rodriguez signaled Maholm, who tossed the ball toward the dugout for a souvenir.

Then it was time for a quick trip up to the suite level to talk to Yankees owner George Steinbrenner.

"I was worried he was going to trade me for Jerry Seinfeld," Crystal said.

Hank Steinbrenner was pleased.

"As long as the fans enjoy it, it's great. He has a real love for the Yankees. He's going to help us in the opening of the new stadium and all that," the general partner said.

Crystal's debut — and finale — followed the likes of Garth Brooks and Tom Selleck, other celebrities who played in exhibition games.

Johnny Damon took over at DH after the first inning — he was poised to pinch run had Crystal gotten on base. When the game ended, a 5-3 Pirates win, Crystal said his career as a major leaguer was over.

"I can always say I led off for the New York Yankees. That's an amazing feeling," he said. "I don't even know how to describe it. It was so intensely good."

Surely better than getting a World Series ring as part-owner of the Arizona Diamondbacks when they beat his beloved Yankees in 2001.

Technically, Crystal still is under contract to the Yankees. He signed a standard minor league deal Wednesday that commissioner Bud Selig approved; as long as the Yankees officially release him before opening day, they don't owe him any money.

No chance of comeback, Crystal said.

"Not the way my hamstring feels," he said.

Crystal walked away with a lifetime of "mahvelous" memories.

Manager Joe Girardi gave him a signed lineup card, a clubhouse attendant presented a DVD of his at-bat and Crystal kept his pinstriped uniform. He also exited with his socks and shoelaces cut, the culprits being his teammates-for-a-day.

Crystal brought his own black maple bat and a glove that had his name stitched on the side. While the former high school infielder did not need his mitt in the game, his family and friends did: a foul popup by Rodriguez landed a few feet from Crystal's wife and Williams.

Asked whether he'd like a turn as a ballplayer, Williams shook his head.

"No. It'll be a telethon," he said.

Crystal got this opportunity after a chance meeting with Jeter in Costa Rica over the holidays. Crystal said he wasn't too happy about turning 60, and the Yankees captain wondered what would make him happy.

Just like that, Crystal was headed to the majors.

Crystal did his best to fit in. He kept his comedy routines to a minimum in the clubhouse, signed his share of autographs — including one for Maholm — and honored the ballplayers' code by compensating infielder Cody Ransom for taking the minor leaguer's No. 60.

"He upheld his end of the bargain," Ransom said.

Neither said what was exchanged, but there was a fancy wrapped Sony bag in Ransom's locker.

Crystal said he was more nervous than he could remember walking to the plate. Before the game, he tried to act calm. The way he chomped nonstop on his bubblegum gave him away.

"I'm really relaxed, I really am," Crystal said an hour before it started. "That's until I see the 6-foot-2, 230-pound guy who's going to throw who's never been to a Seder."
                            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Sillyness.

Not as silly as the Yankees-Rays crap that's been going on, but silly nonetheless.

-Arrian
                              grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

• I'm good with silly things like that - good silly, not bad silly like rays/yanks - but the comparison to garth brooks are quite silly. Garth Brooks actually could have made the minor league team and played for a whole spring training IIRC (maybe two?), while he only played for a single at-bat.
                                <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                                I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Working...
                                X