No announcement yet.

MLB: Hot Stove Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

/me runs screaming from the thought of Jose Reyes playing 20 games a year against the White Sox ...
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by Ming
      That was also discussed at the same time this morning... but, the "experts" were claiming that with the Yankees in the hunt, the Mets might drop that untouchable tag just to keep the Yankees from getting Santana.
      The Mets aren't the Red Sox. They aren't going to be all scared that the Yanks are getting another star. It isn't like they don't have star power to begin with.

Though I'm sure you already knew that and were making a point about the "experts"
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

The Mets aren't the Red Sox.
        Indeed, they haven't won a world series this decade

Just as long as they keep Reyes safely away from the Twins...

Comment

The New York Mets have dealt outfielder Lastings Milledge to the Washington Nationals for catcher Brian Schneider and outfielder Ryan Church
          Ok, gut reaction: WTF?

Imran, your thoughts?

-Arrian
          grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Hmm, Ryan Church ain't half bad, though. He did put up an OPS north of 800 in a pitcher's park.

I guess Omar decided Milledge wasn't all they once thought he was (or he was a huge PITA, or both), huh?

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Schneider sucks. I'm bummed about this deal. Unless they are changing up Church for a SP, this is a bad deal, IMO. Church did have a better season offensively than Milledge, but Church is 28 and Milledge is 22.
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Church is what he is, while Milledge can still improve. Yeah, I really don't get this deal.

-Arrian

Comment

It's really dumb.

Comment

Does Minaya just not like LoDuca? If he's trying to replace him with a warm body i'm happy to take the major league minimum to catch for them ...

Comment

You may be better than Schneider .

Comment

I have a feeling he and I would have the same chance of hitting a Carlos Zambrano fastball...

Comment

Whew, I'm glad the Nats are rid of Church. I really like the song Crazy Train, but if I saw one more Ryan Church at-bat and listened to the intro from Crazy Train one more time I was gonna shoot someone.

I don't have a clue who Lastings Milledge is.
                          Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

FWIW, I checked the HardBall Times to see what the Win Shares were on these guys:

Schneider:

It seems he has the 7th highest win shares of any catcher in the NL due to his defensive play. That's better than I expected, but it's not all that great.

As for Church (who I like):

A pretty decent corner outfielder there.

Though, like Atocep, I have to think the Minaya could have gotten a LOT more. It isn't a total Kazmir like deal, but it isn't that good either, considering how ole Milledge had been talked up.

Also, it seems that Milledge was rubbing his teammates the wrong way, which is what may have forced Minaya's hand. Apparently he wasn't getting along at all, forcing his teammates to anonymously put a sign up in his locker during an away game saying (basically), "Know your place, Rook. From Your Teammates" (its on the ESPN.com article on the trade).

I still don't like it though. They probably could have gotten Joe Blanton+ from the A's for Milledge. And the Mets desperately need pitching... especially fairly young (27 on opening day 2008), promising pitching.

Comment

SI.com (specifically Jon Heyman) is saying that the Yankees have taken the lead in the Santana derby by putting Phil Hughes (rather than Ian Kennedy) on the table along with Melky Cabrera and a third player TBD. The Red Sox have dropped back due to their refusal to part with Ellsbury or Buchholz.

Personally, from what I saw last year, the drop-off from Hughes to Kennedy isn't that big, so I don't mind his inclusion. The key for me is whether or not there's someone down in the minors who can replace Melky. Lord knows Santana would do us a load of good, especially if Pettitte opts to retire.
                              CGN | a bunch of incoherent nonsense
                              Chris Jericho: First-Ever Undisputed Champion of Professional Wrestling & God Incarnate
                              Mystique & Aura: Appearing Nightly @ Yankee Stadium! | Red & Pewter Pride
                              Head Coach/General Manager, Kyrandia Dragonhawks (2004 Apolyton Fantasy Football League Champions)

Comment

The key for me is whether or not there's someone down in the minors who can replace Melky.

What about Austin Jackson? He's a Top 50 prospect, last I heard.

And I'm sure he can be an 89 OPS+ hitter (though, of course, to be fair, Melky Cabrera is only 22).

Comment

Working...
                                X