Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lacking personal experience with a given subject does not bar you from discussing that subject.
    Which is why everyone here is going off on abstinence. I see your point arrian, but I hope you see mine. I have just as much right to criticise those who use contraception as these folks have of criticising abstinence.
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• Ben, the reason we commented about our experience is because you refused to accept statistical evidence. Want to discuss the statistical evidence concerning abstinence programs?

-Arrian
      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

• Don't think too hard about it Ben.
        So you used contraceptives during pregnancy? I think you might want to fix that rah.
        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
          Which is why everyone here is going off on abstinence. I see your point arrian, but I hope you see mine. I have just as much right to criticise those who use contraception as these folks have of criticising abstinence.
          Everyone's got experience with abstinence.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• I have just as much right to criticise those who use contraception as these folks have of criticising abstinence.
            I don't criticise abstinence. I criticise abstinence-only sex ed. There is a difference. Do you see it?

edit: to me, a good sex ed program would OBVIOUSLY include the idea that the safest thing to do is to abstain, followed by protected sex, with unprotected sex, um, bringing up the rear.

A good sex ed program would include a discussion the risks involved in having sex, even protected sex, and explore what you - personally - would face if you ended up with pregnancy or STD as the result of your actions.

The thing is, my sex ed class here in CT *did all that* In my case, at least, it worked rather well. I suspect that some people in that class still went out and messed up. I strongly suspect that number was lower than it would have been had the message been watered down to "don't have sex."

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

• Want to discuss the statistical evidence concerning abstinence programs?
              As provided by condom manufacturers? Sure.

Comment

• Surely there have been independant studies.

-Arrian

Comment

• Everyone's got experience with abstinence
                  And I'd say pretty much everyone here hasn't lasted until marriage. I may be wrong on that, but I don't think so. This is like discussing perfume at an allergy clinic.

Comment

And I'd say pretty much everyone here hasn't lasted until marriage. I may be wrong on that, but I don't think so. This is like discussing perfume at an allergy clinic.
                    Marriage has absolutely nothing to do with sex. If you were married, you'd know this.

Seriously though, you can have monogamous relationships outside of marriage.

Did I just blow your mind?
                    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• It was a joke, Ben. Not too many people have experience with abstinence BY CHOICE, which is what you're really addressing. I certainly don't.

This is like discussing perfume at an allergy clinic.
                      As has been pointed out before, that cuts both ways. You don't really know much about sex, and we don't really know much about intentional abstinence. We can talk stats, but you don't like those.

So why are we even having a discussion? Oh, right, work avoidance. I gotta cut that out.

-Arrian

Comment

• WRT to abstinence education, it's important that it's taught by people who believe in it, and it helps if the kids are in a family that attends church regularly. You just can't take it into a public school classroom, have it taught by a health nurse who doesn't agree with it, and doesn't want it to be taught, and expect it to work.

If we are using the standard of having people wait until marriage, then the programs are a failure. In terms in having people delay their onset of sexual activity it is effective regardless of where it is taught.

Comment

WRT to abstinence education, it's important that it's taught by people who believe in it, and it helps if the kids are in a family that attends church regularly. You just can't take it into a public school classroom
                          I'm glad you agree that it should not be taught in public schools.

Comment

• You don't really know much about sex, and we don't really know much about intentional abstinence.
                            Well then maybe we can learn things about each other. You see the difference is that I am interested in learning more about sex but I don't think you are interested in learning more about intentional abstinence.

Comment

• WRT to abstinence education, it's important that it's taught by people who believe in it, and it helps if the kids are in a family that attends church regularly.
                              Well, you've just admitted that it isn't going to work for a huge chunk of the US population. Thanks for playing.

If we are using the standard of having people wait until marriage, then the programs are a failure. In terms in having people delay their onset of sexual activity it is effective regardless of where it is taught.
                              Wow, amazing.

-Arrian

Comment

Well then maybe we can learn things about each other.
                                I used that line in high school. It worked, too.

Comment

Working...
                                X