Prediction Thread: When Will Ukraine Conquer Russia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Geronimo View Post

I think some ghastly Dr Stranglovian nuclear WMDs would go a long way to explain why Putin was so confident in attacking despite his conventional forces being so underwhelming vs NATO. If all he had was bluff I don't think he would have kept doubling down. I also don't think anyone should back down in the face of those ghastly Dr. Strangelovian WMDs.
    I think Putin's ego and Putin's friend's corruption caused him to vastly over rate his conventional military. You think he would have learned a thing or two from Saddam's "mother of all battles" thinking. Clearly, western weapons and tactics are beyond a third rate spy's military evaluation capabilities.

WRT nuclear delivery systems...why would they be subject to less corruption than any other part of the military supply chain? Is Putin smart enough to ask himself that question?
    "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

• It seems pretty well everybody over rated Russian conventional capability. I can not recall anybody predicting a Russian defeat, until the Ukraine actually started pushing the Russians back.

Comment

• Originally posted by Egbert View Post
        It seems pretty well everybody over rated Russian conventional capability. I can not recall anybody predicting a Russian defeat, until the Ukraine actually started pushing the Russians back.
        Starting with the Russians themselves, clearly.
        Indifference is Bliss

Comment

• Originally posted by Geronimo View Post

I think some ghastly Dr Stranglovian nuclear WMDs would go a long way to explain why Putin was so confident in attacking despite his conventional forces being so underwhelming vs NATO. If all he had was bluff I don't think he would have kept doubling down. I also don't think anyone should back down in the face of those ghastly Dr. Strangelovian WMDs.
          You don't need any ghastly Dr. Strangelovian WMDs for that, just regular WMDs and the belief that Russian forces are as good as your advisors say they are, Ukrainian forces are as useless as they were in 2014, and the west will just appease away under the threat of expensive energy once the deed is done.
          Indifference is Bliss

Comment

• Fun to read old stuff again:

MOSCOW, July 17 (Reuters) - The refusal of Ukraine and Western powers to recognise Moscow's control of Crimea poses a "systemic threat" for Russia and any outside attack on the region will prompt a "Judgment Day" response, former president Dmitry Medvedev said on Sunday.

(snipsnap)

His comments were aired a day after a Ukrainian official suggested that Crimea, which most of the world still recognises as part of Ukraine, could be a target for U.S.-made HIMARS missiles, recently deployed by Kyiv as it battles Russian forces.
            Bolding by me.

That was a red line in July. After strikes vs air base earlier, bridge now it's more orange-yellow.
            Blah

Comment

• Originally posted by Egbert View Post
              It seems pretty well everybody over rated Russian conventional capability. I can not recall anybody predicting a Russian defeat, until the Ukraine actually started pushing the Russians back.
              Totally agree. On paper, Russia's military looked extremely formidable. It is a glaring failure of intelligence not to have detected the impact of widespread systemic corruption in the procurement system and the effects of inadequate training of personnel. One can only hope that the West actually knew this, but was not publicizing it. Things like offering Zelenskyy a ride out of town at the start of all this leads me to believe it was an intelligence failure.
              "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

• Originally posted by BeBMan View Post
                Fun to read old stuff again:

Bolding by me.

That was a red line in July. After strikes vs air base earlier, bridge now it's more orange-yellow.
                Medvedev is quickly becoming the "Baghdad Bob" of this conflict.

Comment

• The Ukrainian army also showed an amazing improvement from 2014 to now, and not all of it was that evident (for many reasons I guess) in the ongoing conflict with the Donbass separatists.
                  Indifference is Bliss

Comment

• It's coming, Serb. They're just letting Crimea marinate for a bit longer...

No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

• Did you know that 2 out of 5 Putin supporters are just as dumb as the other 3?
                      There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
                        It's coming, Serb. They're just letting Crimea marinate for a bit longer...
                        What do you call a surrendering russian soldier?

"A smart Russian"

and/or alternatively:

"A Russian who will stay alive"
                        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

• Another "Emergency" meeting from Russia's military council coming up. This should be interesting. Does Putin dare full mobilization?

Comment

• Dunno about that new one. But they seem to have a lot of emergencies these days...

Meanwhile, he (edit. Putin) declared martial law in annexed regions of Ukraine:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...herson-ukraine

People there must feel totally liberated now.
                            Last edited by BeBMan; October 19, 2022, 11:02.
                            Blah

Comment

• Originally posted by PLATO View Post
                              Another "Emergency" meeting from Russia's military council coming up. This should be interesting. Does Putin dare full mobilization?
                              What would change? Putin already has defacto full mobilization but with some trappings of "partial" mobilization for cheap political cover. Likely the current system will be used to mobilize 2+ million. The constraints will be equipment, logistics, and whatever passes their low training bar.

Comment

• pchang
                                pchang commented
                                Editing a comment
                                It appears that new troops are being deployed and are immediately killed because they have no idea what they are doing.

• Interesting chat (but long) between Anders and some Jake Broe - he could be interesting. Think Serb will inhale some 3-4 liters of vodka and start ranting - especially in the nuke sections.

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Working...
                              X