Prediction Thread: When Will Ukraine Conquer Russia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by N35t0r View Post
    With Lyman about to fall, will this be the first 'Russian' city captured by Ukraine? This cannot stand, Putin better do something about it.
    They were declared "forever" part of Russia and left the day after
    Blah

Comment

• CIA

Protecting U.S. investment in liquified natural gas tankers.

Capitalism baby! Never waste a crisis.

(I REALLY hope that isn't true, but the CIA was warning of the possibility of pipeline terrorism for a couple of months now. Sigh....)
      "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

• N35t0r
        N35t0r commented
        Editing a comment
        They would rank among the top options if it wasn't so bad timing (which, granted, might be a part of the plan to deflect responsibility) and such a downright destructive act towards the relationship between the US and the rest of the west (I would say not to the same level as lying about Iraqi WMDs, but worse than being caught spying on 'allied' heads of state.

• Click image for larger version

Name:	russian.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	9445324
      There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

• Comment

• Looks like things are going south....literally
          Blah

Comment

• A Russian soldier with the nom de guerre "Cannibal" complains that of his unit of formerly 23 only 7 people are remaining and wishes for reinforcements.

Understandable ... winter is coming and meat may become scarce

Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

• Some resonable thoughts :
              With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

• Originally posted by Proteus_MST View Post
                A Russian soldier with the nom de guerre "Cannibal" complains that of his unit of formerly 23 only 7 people are remaining and wishes for reinforcements.

Recruitment seems to be errrrm challenging:

(...)

According to the Ministry of Defense in Moscow, the first reinforcements have already arrived in Donbass. But sometimes the arrival of new soldiers leads to further problems. According to media reports, there was a massive brawl between old soldiers and recruits at a military base near Moscow.

“The newcomers were not received there with bread and salt – on the contrary: the soldiers who served there demanded their clothes and mobile phones from the newcomers,” the internet portal Baza reported Monday. The conflict at Alabino’s training ground turned into a serious quarrel.

The newly hired got the upper hand. They are said to have beaten their tormentors so hard that about 20 regular soldiers ended up locking themselves in a building and asking the police for help. Only after their arrival was the conflict settled. According to the information, both parties have declined to report the matter.

(...)
                Blah

Comment

• Doesn't bode well for the quality of the Russian Army, if Recruits are able to defeat Regulars in close combat <and said Regulars then have to be rescued by the Police
                  Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                  Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackCat View Post
                    Some resonable thoughts :
                    https://youtu.be/hk-0qJXyido
                    Nice. "The US is behind it cause Biden said so" is not flying since the pipes were already dead when they were blown. Gas supply thru NS 1 had stopped before, NS 2 never went online, and Europe committed to leaving Ru as major supplier, and made quite some progress in that meanwhile. Even *if* there's a US interest re LNG, or whatever -- blowing up pipes is simply absurd in that regard.

If anyone actually seen the press conf were Biden said he'll shut down NS 2 -- it's been obviously a political comment at a time when Scholz (right next to Biden at the same press conf) was still unclear on that publicly. Also, if we now take Biden literally why did they also "shut down" NS 1? He only said NS 2!?!

As for the last stage - what risk Russia is ready to take now since it's on the losing path: pretty much an open question still IMO -- after all, since the pipes were already of no use anymore the risk in this particular case was not sky-high. Which of course is no guarantee for the future.
                    Blah

Comment

• NS 1 & 2... blame the Scots. They've been causing chaos by blowing pipes for centuries.
                      There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

• Blah

Comment

• As recently as a couple short months ago I definitely strongly favored a peace formula similar to what Musk suggested in his recent Poll. I remember being incredulous at reports that Biden and Boris Johnson were "torpedoing" a generous peace agreement between Putin and Zelensky in which Russia keeps the Donbas and Crimea and graciously withdraws forces from the rest of Ukraine. I didn't think any western leader would be so much of a warmonger as to reject any status quo ante-bellum agreement (assuming we accept it started 24Feb2022) and even if they were I didn't think they had the kind of leverage that could stop a peace agreement, only the kind that could stop successful Ukrainian war effort.

I think it's clear that I was wrong. Not really because Ukraine looks to be winning, (in fact I think Russian desperation may still lead to Ukraine losing everything), but mostly because I've come to realize that a peace agreement doesn't actually make or facilitate peace without honest rational actors implementing it on both sides.

Russia Signed the 1994 Budapest Memorandum and the 1997 Russian–Ukrainian Friendship Treaty both of which guaranteed Ukraine's territorial integrity and in 2014 Putin grossly violated both treaties with the only excuse being that he maintained he didn't need to honor treaties with Ukraine in the event that Nazis take it over in an illegal coup (the fact that no provision for nullification in the event of a nazi coup in either country existed in the agreements notwithstanding). Since Putin has declared that Ukraine was being denazified by his special military operation it is obvious that he will define all treaties with them as nullified unless he validates the leadership of Ukraine as denazified and only until such time as he doesn't recognize them as returning to Nazification at any future time.

Of course post "annexation" there is the new total roadblock to any treaty as Russia maintains that nobody can legally negotiate any status other than as part of Russia for any of the 4 oblasts declared as "annexed". If All Russia negotiators are legally forbidden to negotiate (other than perhaps for unconditional Ukrainian Surrender) and Russia reserves the right to nullify all treaties with Ukraine any peace treaty, however Solomonic is obviously going to be DoA.

I just don't understand how Musk and others can feel that at this point there is any point in discussing a peace treaty. What possible strength and utility would the "treaty" even be able to have?
                          The Tesla boss asked followers to vote on his ideas to end Russia's invasion, prompting criticism.

Comment

• Musk is a drug addict and attention whore who is easily manipulated.
                            "

Comment

• Attention whore, sure, but he's being amazingly successful for a drug addict in his particular industries.
                              No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

• Uncle Sparky
                                Uncle Sparky commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Gary Busey, Woody Harrelson, Johnny Depp...
                            Working...
                            X