No announcement yet.

In Other News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There was a GOP candidate ad where he appeared with his kids. They had all StarWars toys. Kids had X-Wings, the GOP man had a TIE fighter.

Dark Side?

I don't remember the guy's name, or if he really was a GOP man. But I saw this short bits of the vid with SW stuff
    Blah

Comment

• Originally posted by Dauphin View Post
      I don't think your average fridge has 200hp, or does 0-60mph in anything less than an eternity.
      True ... 60 mph would be a little too much to expect

Panasonic unveiled the prototype for Ku, a voice-activated fridge which uses LIDAR and depth sensors to navigate a home when called.

Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

• Originally posted by N35t0r View Post

Getting all cars to be electric, and then setting up a gas power plant that burns all the fuel that would have gone to the cars would produce excess electricity, and reduce particulate pollution in cities to boot.

If instead they can avoid to have to burn fossil fuels and deploy enough renewables, then it's even better.

But I guess that destructive levels of climate change in the future are okay, because otherwise people might be slightly inconvenienced.
        THere does seem to be an odd false economy, because electric cars are cheaper to drive per mile (I've seen 4 cents per mile quoted petrol vs electricity cost), and cheaper to service due to electric vehicles having less risk of mechanical failure due to fewer moving parts (I've seen this quoted at about 60% the cost). Upfront cost is what most people see I guess, which can be hefty.

Cars with solar panel rooves may save you a small top up too, a few km per day, a few thousand a year.....
        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

• Nap time? I don't need no stinkin' nap time!
          Winnipeg police say a teenaged babysitter was hospitalized after a toddler discovered a loaded handgun and started running around with it.
          There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

• Is Turkey really threatening to attack Greece? If Turkey does attack Greece, what happens with article 5?
            “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

• No idea. Let's hope it's just sabre-rattling.
              Blah

Comment

• Originally posted by pchang View Post
                Is Turkey really threatening to attack Greece? If Turkey does attack Greece, what happens with article 5?
                As Turkey would be the aggressor, only Greece (as the attacked country) could invoke Article 5.
                In that case, Turkey would be oblieged to give military and logistic assistance to Greece agaimst the attacking country (i.e.Turkey).
                But AFAIK there would be no consequences if Turkey wouldn't do so.
                Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

• Just so we know exactly what Article 5 says:

"The Parties agree that an armed attack against one or more of them in Europe or North America shall be considered an attack against them all and consequently they agree that, if such an armed attack occurs, each of them, in exercise of the right of individual or collective self-defence recognised by Article 51 of the Charter of the United Nations, will assist the Party or Parties so attacked by taking forthwith, individually and in concert with the other Parties, such action as it deems necessary, including the use of armed force, to restore and maintain the security of the North Atlantic area.

Any such armed attack and all measures taken as a result thereof shall immediately be reported to the Security Council. Such measures shall be terminated when the Security Council has taken the measures necessary to restore and maintain international peace and security "

I would imagine that conflict between two NATO members would imply, in this case, that the Alliance would make a full on Diplomatic press for an immediate Cease Fire as "such action as it deems necessary" and not become militarily involved. Turkey could probably also expect, if it is the aggressor, that NATO arms shipments would be delayed until such cease fire is in effect. In addition, Turkey would probably not be able to utilize any NATO intelligence gathering wrt the conflict. Beyond that, I don't see NATO doing to much unless Greece "proper" is attacked. Turkey will almost assuredly limit operations to disputed areas.
                  "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

• Seems like there should be some sort of grounds for getting kicked out of the alliance.
                    “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

• Don't cook chicken in drugs/medicines:

The US Food and Drug Administration is taking a bizarre trend seriously. It may seem like cooking up raw chicken in cough syrup is the stuff of nightmares, but videos purporting to do just that have appeared on platforms including TikTok and Instagram. Last week, the FDA issued a warning over the misuse of medicines as inspired by social media videos. TikTok condemned the Nyquil videos.

Nyquil, an over-the-counter cough and cold medication, is made up of a combination of acetaminophen, dextromethorphan and doxylamine to treat a buffet of symptoms. It isn't to be confused with a marinade.

The FDA called the Nyqil chicken challenge "silly and unappetizing," then laid out exactly why it's a bad idea. "Boiling a medication can make it much more concentrated and change its properties in other ways," the FDA said. "Even if you don't eat the chicken, inhaling the medication's vapors while cooking could cause high levels of the drugs to enter your body. It could also hurt your lungs."

(...)

I 'm toying with the idea to start a "who will send me most of his money" TikTok challenge

Blah

Comment

• Originally posted by BeBMan View Post
                        Don't cook chicken in drugs/medicines:

Boiling chicken in cough Syrup?
                        Who started this strange trend?

Originally posted by BeBMan View Post
                        I 'm toying with the idea to start a "who will send me most of his money" TikTok challenge
                        If you post it with the pic of a beautiful woman and claim that is you, this surely will raise a lot of money

Or, as my favorite Youtube-Channel (Viva La Dirt League) has it:

Comment

• American tourist demands to see pope, smashes two sculptures at Vatican

(...)
                          The man had demanded to see the pope, according Il Messaggero, a newspaper based in Rome, and when he was told he could not, he allegedly hurled one Roman bust to the floor.

As he ran off, with staff in pursuit, he knocked down another, both outlets reported.
                          (...)
                          Take that, pope!

The tourist was handed over to Italian authorities after the sculptures were hurled to the ground in the Museo Chiaramonti, part of the Vatican.

Blah

Comment

• Uncle Sparky
                            Uncle Sparky commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I bet the American wanted the pope to nullify Bden's election... FREEDOM!!!

• Originally posted by CBC
                          Footage shows pod of orcas killing a great white shark and devouring its liver

It's the 1st 'irrefutable evidence' that orcas are feeding off great whites near South Africa, says biologist

Great white sharks can no longer claim the title of top predator — at least not off the coast of South Africa.

New drone and helicopter footage shows a pod of orcas ruthlessly pursuing a great white shark in Mossel Bay before going in for the kill. The grisly video culminates with one of the killer whales gobbling up a large chunk of the shark's liver.

Scientists have long suspected that killer whales have been hunting sharks off South Africa's coast and driving them from their natural habitat. Now they have "irrefutable evidence," says shark biologist Alison Towner.

"When I saw the footage, of course, it just confirmed everything," Towner, a PhD candidate at South Africa's Rhodes University, told As It Happens host Nil Köksal.

"And as haunting it is to see the behaviour, one can't help but be awed by it as well. It's really quite a novel piece of natural history to observe."

Towner is the co-author of a new paper analyzing the footage, which was published this week in the journal Ecology.

Scientists have long suspected that killer whales have been hunting great white sharks off the coast of South Africa and driving them from their natural habitat. Now they have "irrefutable evidence," says shark biologist Alison Towner.
                          I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!
                          Rules are like Egg's. They're fun when thrown out the window!
                          Difference is irrelevant when dosage is higher than recommended!

Comment

• Orca mob hunting down a single shark - unfair!
                            Blah

Comment

• Just read that they use people to produce energy now:

Glasgow arts venue SWG3 has switched on a system that creates renewable energy from the body heat on its dancefloor.

Dancers' heat is piped via a carrier fluid to 200m (650ft) bore holes that can be charged like a thermal battery.

The energy then travels back to the heat pumps, is upgraded to a suitable temperature and emitted back into SWG3.

The owners say this will enable them to completely disconnect the venue's gas boilers, reducing its carbon emissions by about 70 tonnes of CO2 a year.
                              How long until you will be required to dance for your energy at home??? Soon we're all in the Matrix, I tell you

Heat energy is being captured from people dancing to help a Glasgow venue reduce its carbon emissions.
                              Blah

Comment

Working...
                              X