In Other News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dinner View Post
    It is a carp species from Asia. Some of the Asian carp species have devastating impact on native wildlife in North America.

https://youtu.be/rPeg1tbBt0A
    The human species originate in africa and have had a devastating impact on nature and wildlife whereever it has entered.
    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

• seems to be life's design, filling niches comes natural until the good times are followed by a collapse from too much success or a chunk of rock hitting the Earth or a massive eruption or both

just saw a documentary on Kimchi, studies show eating fermented foods diversifies the gut's bacterial population causing all sorts of benefits. Never tried it but I will, I have been eating yogurt lately.

Comment

• Goldfish has only fake-gold
        Blah

Comment

• Originally posted by Berzerker View Post
          seems to be life's design, filling niches comes natural until the good times are followed by a collapse from too much success or a chunk of rock hitting the Earth or a massive eruption or both

just saw a documentary on Kimchi, studies show eating fermented foods diversifies the gut's bacterial population causing all sorts of benefits. Never tried it but I will, I have been eating yogurt lately.
          I love the various types of kimchis and eat it regularly (mostly the common cabbage kimchi but also reddish and other vegetable kimchis). My wife likes to cook basmati rice so kimchi goes well with it. I usually have it once or twice per week. Various Indian pickle mixes work well too like Punjabi mango pickle.
          Last edited by Dinner; November 23, 2022, 21:30.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• so kimchi is a member of the cabbage family

Comment

• Uncle Sparky
              Uncle Sparky commented
              Editing a comment
              Kimchi is fermented cabbage. Think of sauerkraut. I have some in my fridge. It is a side, and can be used where you use slaw or kraut. Generally it has a very sharp smell and peppery taste. Refrigerate in a well sealed jar

• Dinner
              Dinner commented
              Editing a comment
              Kimchi is salted, herbed, and pickled vegetables. Cabbage kimchi is the most common but raddish kimchi is the second. In Korea there are dozens and dozens of types of kimchi. While in Youngsan (an American base since closed in Soeul) I had half a dozen kimchis served with one meal. Yes, I know the difference between kimchi and bonchon.

• pchang
              pchang commented
              Editing a comment
              Kimchi and Bonchon do overlap.

• Kimchi tastes well.
            I was once able to eat original korean Kimchi,
            when we had the Korean National Archery team as guests at or Archery Range and they prepared food from their home.
            (that was around 3 decades ago, however)
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

• I just tried some, cabbage is cheaper but they throw in a bunch of stuff to give it zest. Aint bad in small amounts for now until I develop a taste for it.

Comment

• Uncle Sparky
                Uncle Sparky commented
                Editing a comment
                Match kimchi with a strong cheese and dark rye bread.
                Dark beer also helps.

• I remember having dandelion leaf kimchi. It was good. If it is a vegetable and can be salted, spiced, and pickled to last through the cold Korean winter (remember Korea is next to Siberia and Manchuria) then a Korean will make it.

Comment

• maybe cabbage alone doesn't create the same benefits as kimchi since its fermented and that seems to be an additional step to creating gut diversity

Comment

• pchang
                  pchang commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes. Fermentation appears to be key.

• in Covid news a recent study found vaccinated people were more likely to get infected than unvaccinated people

well, sorta... the study found people who got vaccinated were indeed getting infected more than the unvaccinated but the reason was they let up on their personal 'social distancing'. The data showed for about 2-3 weeks after the shots antibodies spiked enough to ward off serious infection but as they declined and the people loosened up on social distancing they were actually getting infected at higher rates than unvaccinated people.

So Fauci and his backing chorus in the media told people they wouldn't get or spread Covid if they got vaccinated resulting in more vaccinated and unvaccinated people getting infected as the 'safe' people roamed freely.

in related news, some French institution has recovered living viruses from permafrost that can infect organisms. They say we need to study them in case they're released by global warming.

Comment

• I am not so worried about permafrost viruses or bacteria as they already were evolutionarially out competited once and are unlikely to be better adapted now. I suppose there is the odd danger that they have been out of circulation for so long that they might become novel again. I am not sure that is really so though as evolutionary adaption seems to be extremely long lasting.
                  Last edited by Dinner; November 29, 2022, 03:01.

Comment

• look at what chicken pox did to the new world, it was about 20-30ky ago when that population split from the old world and these bugs are even older

did the Vikings bring a plague to N America?

otoh as you say we've probably already seen the bugs that were around back then but I'm worried about what these people will do with the viruses they find ala Wuhan bat virus manipulations

Comment

• Coca-Cola Christmas truck in flames in Romania

Coca-Cola Christmas truck in flames in Romania

A Coca-Cola truck caught fire while driving down a busy road in Romania’s capital Bucharest.
                      It is unclear how the fire started. The driver managed to leave the vehicle before it was engulfed in flames.
                      Firefighters later arrived to put out the blaze, and there were no reports of injuries.
                      The soft drink company told local media it was taking measures to prevent further incidents.
                      The famous red vehicle caught fire while driving down a busy road in the capital Bucharest.
                      I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!
                      Rules are like Egg's. They're fun when thrown out the window!
                      Difference is irrelevant when dosage is higher than recommended!

Comment

• Uncle Sparky
                        Uncle Sparky commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Coke is produced by heating coal at high temperatures, for long periods of time...
                        Coincidence?

• mRNA COVID-19 vaccines are less effective against omicron infections than other variants. A study published December 1 in the open access journal PLOS Medicine by Margaret L. Lind at the Yale School of Public Health and colleagues suggests that the additional protection offered by the initial booster shot may be reduced among people with a previous COVID-19 infection.

More evidence natural immunity acquired from covid infection is better... still better... than a vaccination

boosters dont help people who already got infected but do help people who got the original 2 shots

Comment

• Broken_Erika
                        Broken_Erika commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I have both, i've probably been infected and i have the Vaccinations. Of course covid has evolved to be less deadly in order to spread better..........

• Berzerker
                        Berzerker commented
                        Editing a comment
                        thank god for that, but did you get the shots first and then caught covid?

• Broken_Erika
                        Broken_Erika commented
                        Editing a comment
                        yep, barely even noticed it 'cause of the vaccine, had very mild cold symptoms.

• I did get the first two due to doctors recommendations. That's going to be it.
                      I don't do flu shots either.
                      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Berzerker
                        Berzerker commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I got the 2 shots about 15 months ago and considered a booster, I'm waiting to see if they come up with a better nasal vaccine because I'm not getting a shot every year. I've done so much damage to my airways maybe the virus cant get started.
                    Working...
                    X