In Other News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I surely wouldn't be against it
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

• I found this interesting info about the conquest of Australia:

(CNN)What seemed like an innocent Christmas gift of 24 English rabbits in 1859 would go on to become Australia's "most devastating biological invasion," according to a new study by the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

Wild rabbits are not native to Australia and are considered an invasive species. Farmers say the animals multiply quickly and destroy their crops and land, which can lead to massive soil erosion and other environmental issues.

"Biological invasions are a major cause of environmental and economic disruption," researchers wrote.
      "(And) the colonization of Australia by the European rabbit is one of the most iconic and devastating biological invasions in recorded history."

Using historical accounts, researchers were able to piece together genetic evidence linking this invasion to English rabbits imported in 1859 by a settler named Thomas Austin, tracing the population back to Austin's birthplace in England.

According to historical records, Austin had started off with just 24 rabbits on his sprawling Melbourne estate. But within three years, the animals had multiplied into the thousands -- and kept on breeding, researchers noted.

"Our findings show that despite the numerous introductions across Australia, it was a single batch of English rabbits that triggered this devastating biological invasion -- the effects of which are still being felt today," said lead author Joel Alves, also a researcher at the University of Oxford.

"That single event triggered this enormous catastrophe in Australia; the fastest colonization rate for an introduced mammal ever recorded."

(...)
      full: https://edition.cnn.com/2022/08/24/w...hnk/index.html

Rabbits of Doom!

Blah

Comment

• ricketyclik
        ricketyclik commented
        Editing a comment
        I think European humans have been more devastating.

• PLATO
        PLATO commented
        Editing a comment
        Thou lobest the Holy Han grenade....

• Federal judge strikes down Texas ban on 18- to 20-year-olds carrying handguns in public https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/26/us/te...nal/index.html

Blame the Feds. We tried.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
        Federal judge strikes down Texas ban on 18- to 20-year-olds carrying handguns in public https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/26/us/te...nal/index.html

Blame the Feds. We tried.
        Many people aged 18-20 are morons who cannot be trusted with guns, hell, many people regardless of age are morons who cannot be trusted with guns. US needs a standardized testing to determine who can have guns.
        Last edited by Broken_Erika; August 26, 2022, 23:50.
        I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!
        Rules are like Egg's. They're fun when thrown out the window!
        Difference is irrelevant when dosage is higher than recommended!

Comment

• Exactly
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Two Air-France pilots have been suspended after a physical altercation in the cockpit, reports say.

The pilot and co-pilot exchanged blows as they flew an Airbus A320 from Geneva to Paris in June, Swiss news outlet La Tribune said.

Members of the cabin crew intervened after hearing the noise. One crew member stayed in the cockpit until the flight landed safely.

The cabin crew intervened after hearing noise from the cockpit as two pilots started fighting.
            Blah

Comment

• At least those 2 were awake and didn't miss their landing because they were asleep
              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

• Hey, it looks like there's going to be a new, electric DeLorean...

If you’ve seen the new DeLorean Alpha5 electric car, you might be disappointed that it doesn’t look much at all like the famous DeLorean DMC-12 from the “Back to the Future” movies. Really, other than the gullwing doors, there’s not much that clearly ties the cars together.

Click image for larger version

Name:	new-delorean-2022.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	186.6 KB
ID:	9443960
                Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Uncle Sparky
                  Uncle Sparky commented
                  Editing a comment
                  But will there be a new electric Michael J Fox?

• PLATO
                  PLATO commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Does it come with a flux capacitor option? What about a Mr. Fusion?

• Does it have an integrated time machine as standard?

Comment

• They claim to have supply chain issues with the flux capacitor...
                Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Truck spills 150,000 tomatoes causing California crash

A truck has spilled more than 150,000 tomatoes across a busy motorway in the US state of California, bringing traffic to a standstill.

The splattered tomatoes caused seven cars to crash and closed much of the Interstate 80 highway on Monday.

Three people had minor injuries and a fourth is in hospital with a broken leg, California Highway Patrol said.

During tomato season, lorry drivers use the major motorway to transport the fruit across the state.

An initial collision caused the tomato truck to swerve into the central divide of the motorway, spilling fist-sized tomatoes across a 200ft section of the motorway, according to reports.

This left a sea of red sauce about "two feet deep", said Highway Patrol Officer Jason Tyhurst.

Cars drove over the squelching tomatoes, creating a dangerous slurry of tomato juice, oil and dirt.

"These tomato skins, man, once they hit the asphalt it's like walking on ice," said Mr Tyhurst, speaking to the New York Times.

Clean-up crews allowed the road to reopen several hours later.

The Golden State produces more than 90% of the country's processed tomatoes and almost half of global processed tomatoes, according to the California Tomato Growers Association.

Four people are injured after a truck overturns across a major motorway causing seven cars to crash.
                  I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!
                  Rules are like Egg's. They're fun when thrown out the window!
                  Difference is irrelevant when dosage is higher than recommended!

Comment

• Sarah Palin lost. Democrat Mary Peltola wins.
                    Are there still any safe GOP seats, or has Trumpydump killed the party?
                    Democrat Mary Peltola will become the first Alaskan Native to represent the state in Congress.
                    Last edited by Uncle Sparky; September 1, 2022, 17:52.
                    There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

• PLATO
                      PLATO commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Interesting result due to it being a ranked choice election. Any idea if the result would have been different in a traditional election?

• Uncle Sparky
                      Uncle Sparky commented
                      Editing a comment
                      First round Peltola was leading with 39.66% of votes cast. The next 2 candidates were GOP. In a regular first-past-the-post vote, the Dems would have won.

• California wants electric cars by 2035

California is asking people to stop charging their electric vehicles due to the load on the system

Thomas Massie R-Ky said charging a car requires 25x the energy to run a frig

Comment

• I don't think your average fridge has 200hp, or does 0-60mph in anything less than an eternity.
                      One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

• Originally posted by Berzerker View Post
                        California wants electric cars by 2035

California is asking people to stop charging their electric vehicles due to the load on the system

Thomas Massie R-Ky said charging a car requires 25x the energy to run a frig
                        Getting all cars to be electric, and then setting up a gas power plant that burns all the fuel that would have gone to the cars would produce excess electricity, and reduce particulate pollution in cities to boot.

If instead they can avoid to have to burn fossil fuels and deploy enough renewables, then it's even better.

But I guess that destructive levels of climate change in the future are okay, because otherwise people might be slightly inconvenienced.
                        Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Working...
                        X