No announcement yet.

In Other News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.8% doesn't seem to large. The guy does seem to be very into food and food processing right now. He only owns a small less than 1% share of US farm land but he is still the largest private owner of farmland in the US, he keeps buying and supporting vegan meat alternatives companies, and now he is in beer too.

I guess with the projected food shortages (Ukraine, Russia, the fertilizer shortage, and retarded "environmental" laws designed to kill off independent farms) big profits will be made.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• I can't seem to find any Dilbert cartoons in Ukrainian.
      How odd.
      There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

• Yes, that's odd.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Uncle Sparky
          Uncle Sparky commented
          Editing a comment
          Tried a Dogbert whistle. Failed.

• A Jack Daniels building project is to be halted after a neighbour argued she was facing a plague of whiskey fungus caused by escaping alcohol vapours.

Christi Long, of Lincoln County, Tennessee, claimed her property was coated in the fungus, which appears as a black crust on surfaces.

It is a growing issue for people in the area, her lawyer told BBC News.

The fungus, which consumes ethanol fumes, grows on surfaces near bakeries and distilleries around the world.

(...)
        A Tennessee woman says that whiskey fungus from a warehouse is wreaking havoc on her property.

Whiskey fungus has adapted perfectly and found a way to get free whiskey. Whiskey fungus could be smarter than we are...
        Blah

Comment

• Originally posted by BeBMan View Post

A Tennessee woman says that whiskey fungus from a warehouse is wreaking havoc on her property.

Whiskey fungus has adapted perfectly and found a way to get free whiskey. Whiskey fungus could be smarter than we are...
          Interestingly, the county Jack Daniels is in is a "dry" county...so no free samples on the tour. You can however take time to fully inhale the vapors coming off of the vats. That is certainly an interesting experience if loiter for a few minutes.

It has been years since I was there, but I didn't see any fungus. The distillery has been there for a long time. I wonder what is just now causing a fungus issue?
          "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

• Originally posted by PLATO View Post

Interestingly, the county Jack Daniels is in is a "dry" county...so no free samples on the tour. You can however take time to fully inhale the vapors coming off of the vats. That is certainly an interesting experience if loiter for a few minutes.

It has been years since I was there, but I didn't see any fungus. The distillery has been there for a long time. I wonder what is just now causing a fungus issue?
            Apparently, Whiskey fungus has been observed since the 1870's. I guess it just needs the right conditions.
            I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!
            Rules are like Egg's. They're fun when thrown out the window!
            Difference is irrelevant when dosage is higher than recommended!

Comment

• See what happens when a deer smashes its way through a New Brunswick household

Deer breaks into Hampton home through window, makes giant mess, bounds back to the woods

The forestry department asked Ray O'Donnell if he was sure.

Was he sure, that is, that a deer had broken into his house through a window, knocked over all of his wife's quilting supplies and was running around in the basement?

O'Donnell — keeping his distance from sharp hooves — was quite sure.

On Wednesday, he and his wife, Katie O'Donnell, had just minutes earlier returned to their home in Hampton, N.B., from a grocery shopping trip.

When they saw the broken window, they thought someone had broken in.

But when O'Donnell saw a deer in the basement, though, he quickly told Katie to cancel the call to the police.

They called the forestry department instead.

"This normally doesn't happen," O'Donnell said he was told over the phone.

O'Donnell's son and friend came over to help contain the situation — and to record the mayhem on a a phone video.

When someone from the Department of Natural Resources arrived, O'Donnell said he had a big stick and seemed to know what to do with the deer, which O'Donnell described as a large doe.

Eventually, the deer ran up the stairs and out the door, running back to the woods.

"It took off — you wouldn't think anything was wrong with it," O'Donnell said.The O'Donnells see deer all the time near their home, though he pointed out they don't usually break into their house. Still, the deer are common enough that they're careful while driving, and even sometimes see them come close to their windows.

"I don't know what they're looking for," said O'Donnell, who's lived in the area for more than 30 years.

He'll be looking at deer a bit differently now, he said. Surveying the damage, O'Donnell was able to retrace the animal's path of destruction.

It broke into Katie's sewing room, knocking over fabric and quilting fabric — though, thankfully, leaving the sewing machine intact.

O'Donnell was surprised the animal didn't break its neck coming through the double-paned, vinyl glass window.

'Uncommon but not unheard of'

The deer did cut itself, though. A pool of blood sent a rug to the garbage can, and O'Donnell's daughter-in-law arrived later to bleach the floor.

The deer ran out of the sewing room, somehow ripping up trimming on the door and leaving a dent in the wood.

In a statement, the Department of Natural Resources said Hampton has a fairly large suburban deer population, so deer are common around homes in the neighbourhood.

"These incidents are uncommon but not unheard of in New Brunswick," it said.

The statement said there was minimal injury to the deer.

Despite the damage, O'Donnell is finding humour in the situation. Since the deer's tracks came from across the road, he jokingly accused his neighbour of chasing the animal into his house.

Still, he's not hoping for any more intense wildlife encounters.

"You have to be very careful around here," he said.
              Ray O’Donnell sees deer all the time near his home in Hampton, N.B., and has sometimes seen the woodland animals right next to his window. On Wednesday, though, a deer bounded to the other side.
              I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!

Comment

• They should have killed it and ate it. Venison is good. Plus the food savings could help to replace the broken window. See? I am a problem solver.

Comment

• Maybe not really news, but this vid made me smile: The crane which refuses to leave its human saviour

Blah

Comment

• Eagle-versus-cat standoff in Vancouver park captured in photos, video
                    An East Vancouver man captured an unlikely animal encounter when an everyday house cat and a majestic bald eagle had a tense faceoff in a park.

Comment

• "Wasn't exactly the smartest cat on the block," Hope said after viewing Davidson's photos and video.
                      Blah

Comment

• Giving the middle finger is a 'God-given right,' says Quebec judge

Montreal-area man acquitted of criminal harassment after flipping off neighbours

Giving someone the middle finger is a "God-given" right that belongs to all Canadians, a Quebec judge said, as he recently acquitted a Montreal-area man of criminal harassment and uttering threats.

In his ruling, Quebec court Judge Dennis Galiatsatos wrote that not only was Neall Epstein not guilty, the fact that he was arrested and prosecuted at all was a bewildering injustice.

"To be abundantly clear, it is not a crime to give someone the finger," the judge wrote in his Feb. 24 ruling. "Flipping the proverbial bird is a God-given, Charter-enshrined right that belongs to every red-blooded Canadian. It may not be civil, it may not be polite, it may not be gentlemanly. Nevertheless, it does not trigger criminal liability."

Police arrested Epstein, a 45-year-old teacher, on May 18, 2021, as he returned home from a walk. Earlier in the day, he had run into a neighbour — Michael Naccache — who lived on the same Beaconsfield, Que., street and with whom he had previous conflicts.

Naccache, 34, swore at Epstein and threatened him while holding a power tool "in a menacing way," the judge found. Epstein replied with two middle fingers and continued walking.

Naccache alleged that Epstein also made a throat-slashing gesture and said he feared Epstein would come back and try to kill him — claims that the judge did not accept.

"On what basis did he fear that Mr. Epstein was a potential murderer? The fact that he went for quiet walks with his kids? The fact that he socialized with the other young parents on the street? If that is the standard, we should all fear that our neighbours are killers-in-waiting," Galiatsatos wrote.
                        Neighbourhood quarrelling

The incident was the culmination of a series of interactions between the two men and members of their families. Naccache claimed those interactions amounted to months of harassment, but the judge found them to be innocent behaviour.

"To the complainants, the presence of young families outside is a source of scorn and vivid resentment that ultimately spilled over into a criminal complaint against their neighbour," the judge wrote, describing Epstein as a "caring father of two young daughters who committed no crime whatsoever."

He called it "deplorable" that the complainants "weaponized the criminal justice system in an attempt to exert revenge on an innocent man."

Naccache said he thought Epstein regularly and surreptitiously filmed him and his family. In reality, the judge concluded, it was Naccache who had been filming Epstein and other neighbours from cameras mounted outside the home in which he lived with his parents and brother.

He also had cameras on his motorcycle and in his parents' cars.

In one incident, video submitted as evidence shows Naccache's mother, Martine Naccache, driving dangerously near neighbourhood children, the judge wrote.

About an hour later, Naccache's father, Frank Naccache, "deliberately and spitefully" did the same, the ruling says, leading to a confrontation with several neighbourhood fathers, including Epstein.

Epstein testified that during that episode, Frank Naccache threatened to intentionally hit the children with his car.

Michael Naccache claimed in court that Epstein assaulted his parents during that confrontation, but the video evidence instead showed Naccache's brother, Ari Naccache, pushing Epstein, who then walked away in what the judge called a "remarkable exercise of restraint."
                        Judge wanted to throw the file 'out the window'

Galiatsatos wrote that Martine and Frank Naccache should consider themselves lucky they weren't ticketed for reckless driving. He added that the two Naccache brothers were fortunate they weren't charged with assault or uttering threats.

Galiatsatos wrote in acquitting Epstein that he wished he could literally — not just figuratively — throw the case out of court."In the specific circumstances of this case, the Court is inclined to actually take the file and throw it out the window, which is the only way to adequately express my bewilderment with the fact that Mr. Epstein was subjected to an arrest and a fulsome criminal prosecution."

The Montreal police service said it is analyzing the decision and declined to comment further.

The provincial prosecutors office did not immediately respond to a request for comment. A message left for Epstein through his lawyer was not immediately returned, and a phone message left at the Naccache home was also not returned.
                        A Quebec court judge says Canadians have a "God-given," constitutionally protected right to flip off obnoxious neighbours.

Comment

• It nice to hear a little common sense out of Canada compared to the unending idiotic crap show crap having Tru-dump in power has been to date.

Comment

• https://yle-fi.translate.goog/a/74-2..._x_tr_pto=wapp (greetings to Hellas?)

Comment

• Jupiter and Venus ****ed on the 2nd this month

Comment

Working...
                              X