In Other News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Berzerker View Post

If you think Jan 6 was worse, lets ask the black lives who lost jobs because Walgreens and Walmart just to name a couple are gone. Lets ask the old timers who needed those stores to get their food and medication. Jan 6 was a blip on the radar, last years riots ruined innumerable lives, black lives... BLM ghettos. If we want businesses to go back in the local taxpayers will have to underwrite the risk because I cant imagine banks and insurance companies doing it.
    https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/15/mark...iden-book.html

“They may try, but they’re not going to f------ succeed,” Milley said of a possible government takeover in conversation with his closest deputies, according to the book.

“You can’t do this without the military. You can’t do this without the CIA and the FBI. We’re the guys with the guns,” he said.

The general, having listened to Trump spread an array of baseless conspiracy theories and false claims of fraud throughout the final weeks of his term, had drawn parallels with the rise of nazism in 20th century Germany, the book said.

“This is a Reichstag moment,” Milley told aides in early January, according to the book. “The gospel of the Fuhrer.”

(...)

Leonnig and Rucker describe Milley as being shaken after a Nov. 10 phone call with an old friend, who warned him, “What they’re trying to do here is overturn the government.”

“This is all real, man. You are one of the few guys who are standing between us and some really bad stuff,” the friend told Milley, who later shared the exchange with his aides, the book says.

Milley then reached out to former Gen. H.R. McMaster, Trump’s national security advisor from 2017 to 2018. “What the f--- am I dealing with?” Milley asked, according to the book.

“You’re dealing with some of the weirdest s--- ever,” McMaster reportedly replied.
    Seems the guy in the Pentagon found it serious enough to evoke comparisons to 1930ies Germany. But hey, he' just a general, what would he know 'bout violence and stuff, as opposed to a stable genius like Trump.
    Blah

Comment

• Whataboutism is what Jesus did to the Pharisees when he asked if they were sinless. What about you, was his point. So if BLM and Antifa make riots fashionable they cant complain about a MAGA riot, especially one that targeted the government. That applies to all the people who defended, condoned, or enabled last year's riots and there were plenty of Democrats who did that, apparently even our VP bailed rioters out of jail. Pelosi said people will do what people do in response to riots but now she's outraged. I think Jesus would be asking her about double standards. Maybe she should have committed the resources at her disposal to preventing a riot, it looks almost like she was inviting them in.

If this is about justice, treat both groups of rioters by the same standard. So far the courts have handed out sentences I'd expect for rioters vandalizing govt property, not insurrectionists storming the capital in a coup. So if Milley wants to compare this to Nazi Germany, how did he feel about months of pre-election riots designed to win the WH last year? Now the Democrats who were caught conspiring with BLM to coordinate protests across the country if Trump won want to talk about insurrection?

Comment

• -Jrabbit
        -Jrabbit commented
        Editing a comment
        The George Floyd protests were a heartfelt, emotional reaction against systemic racism and police brutality - both things that are against the principles set forth in our founding documents (as amended).

The Jan6 insurrection (with many participants being similarly heartfelt and emotional) was about the outgoing administration denying the legal, legitimate transfer of power to the winning party in the 2020 Presidential election - something that is in direct opposition to the principles on which our democracy is based.

One was a natural, outraged reaction to the public murder, for no reason, of a black suspect by a white cop, demanding justice and equality.
        The other was a coordinated attempt by those in power to illegally deny the rightful outcome of the election.

They are in no way comparable on any level.

• Berzerker
        Berzerker commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh I dont think most Democrats or the BLM cofounder who got rich care about George Floyd. Black men killed by cops peaked under Obama, the rate had been declining under Trump. This systemic racism charge is hypocritical BS, Biden wrote the damn crime bills that led us down this path. Thats where the systemic racism is, not with the cops enforcing Biden's laws. Guess how many unarmed and innocent black people were killed by cops in 2019, a dozen or less maybe. Given how many violent crimes are committed in black communities we should expect more mistakes.

These are guestimates but about 30% of homicides are committed primarily by black men and they make up about 30% of death by cops. But the people accusing the cops of systemic racism look only at the 2nd stat. This was the Democrat's strategy, terrorize people into voting against Trump. It worked... and MAGA made the mistake of thinking they could riot too and be treated the same. Silly white boys.

• Great effort to avoid the point. "Both groups" didn't try to overturn a free and fair election because the sitting pres didn't like the outcome. "Both groups" also didn't want to hang Mike Pence, for that matter.
      Blah

Comment

• Berzerker
        Berzerker commented
        Editing a comment
        I remember plenty of protesters calling for the deaths of cops... and cops have been getting assassinated, so a 'hang Mike Pence' chant is par for the course with rioters. Trump's inauguration was attacked and the Democrats were calling for his impeachment from the start even using a fraudulently obtained warrant to spy on him before and after the election.

And then a few months before the election BLM started hosting riots to help Biden win. The Democrats spent 4 years trying to overturn an election and their allies went around destroying neighborhoods to get their way.

BLM 500 MAGA 1

I know which is worse

• George Floyd was habitually an ass. If someone wants to make him their cause, they're past ignorant and have ventured into the land of stupid.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Uncle Sparky
        Uncle Sparky commented
        Editing a comment
        Half the posters here are asses. None of them should be killed by a bad cop. Anyone to defend his murderer is "past ignorant and have ventured into the land of stupid.".

• So, he deserved it?

Comment

• You be in the cops position and tell me.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

• Uncle Sparky
          Uncle Sparky commented
          Editing a comment
          The quickest way to deescalate a situation is to kill the person being an ass.

• The cop's position is in prison.
        AC2- the most active SMAC(X) community on the web.
        JKStudio - Masks and other Art

No pasarán

Comment

• There seems no doubt that Floyd was a criminal and he was known to local police and very unfavourably known. There seems nothing exemplary about him. He was just another criminal and should be regarded as such. That said his criminal career does not justify his death and I believe the officer was convicted meaning killing the criminal was not justified in the circumstances. It boggles my mind that Floyd gets any favourable publicity. His death seems that tiny spark that lit a conflagration and I imagine there was a conflagration waiting to happen for reasons entirely unrelated to Floyd and his career as a criminal.

Perhaps US police do not get much training in dealing with difficult situations and also so many people are carrying guns it may make officers nervous? I say this because US police seem to kill an awful lot of people.

Comment

• Another violent criminal on drugs that couldn't be subdued.

Comment

• Uncle Sparky
              Uncle Sparky commented
              Editing a comment
              I didn't know Chauvin was on drugs at the time.... and the other cops at the murder didn't allow any of the witnesses to try to subdue the violent criminal. And technically, Chauvin had never been convicted prior to Floyd's murder, so while he had a long record of violence, wasn't a criminal at the time.
              Last edited by Uncle Sparky; August 11, 2021, 09:41.

• I thought Floyd had been subdued as I do not see how one could put a knee on the neck of somebody who had not been subdued. I also imagine that the procedure would be to take him to the station, toss him in the cells to cool down and charge him with resisting arrest and failure to comply with lawful directions from police. I accept that the courts presumably found good reason to convict Chauvin of murder and that excessive force was used.

My view is that although Floyd was a bad person he ought not to have been killed. Surely if the police had handcuffed him they could get him to the station and into the cells alive.

Comment

• -Jrabbit
              -Jrabbit commented
              Editing a comment
              Exactly so.
              Pretty sure the cops were called because of a suspected counterfeit $20 bill passed by Floyd.
              Pretty sure that's not a capital offense.

And even if it were, Chauvin does not get to play judge, jury, and executioner.

• Dinner
              Dinner commented
              Editing a comment
              Flyodd died of a drug over dose. It is shocking how many ignorant people still don't know that.

• In other other news the question is, if - after the resignation of Andrew Cuomo from his gov post - Prince Andrew will also resign from being prince
            Blah

Comment

• (spectrum of ACCURACY):: resignation forces a discussion on the budget of any impeachment in ratio to LIKELIHOOD the THOUSAND YEAR meich make it

(sic)
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
                Another violent criminal on drugs that couldn't be subdued.
                in my dreams as SEAN CONNERY's regional accent consult career

ahem

I'd use DYHYDRAGEN MONOXIDE against AL CAPONE

(hic)(sic)i spell bad a lot

dab dab dab(poorly)
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• so mings idea is yet another garbage thread. more work for you i guess...

Comment

• Floyd said he couldn't breathe long before Chauvin pinned him to the ground so he may have been suffering a heart attack or handcuffing his arms behind him followed by Chauvin pinning him to the ground caused positional asphyxiation. The cops had a helluva struggle with Floyd trying to get him in the car, when that failed Chauvin pinned him to the ground until he settled down... and died. Negligent homicide, not murder and not racism. If a white dude was behaving like that he would have gotten the same treatment.

Comment

• Berzerker
                      Berzerker commented
                      Editing a comment
                      murder relies on intent and if I was justifying Chauvin's actions I wouldn't call it negligent homicide

if it was so obviously public doesn't that suggest the intent was not murder but submitting an unruly suspect?

someone under the influence of dangerous drugs violently engaging with cops while handcuffed who says he cant breathe - all of that before Chauvin pinned him down.

Chauvin's crime was not repositioning Floyd once he settled down, thats negligence.

• Dinner
                      Dinner commented
                      Editing a comment
                      There jrabbit goes lying again. Funny how he thinks he knows more than the actual doctor who did the autopsy. Flyodd died of a drug over dose because he swallowed his stash. He had done that twice before.

• -Jrabbit
                      -Jrabbit commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Facts not in evidence during a crime do not excuse it.

At least Derek Chauvin got his day in court. There were over 40 eyewitnesses. Expert witnesses testified that Mr Floyd died from a lack of oxygen due to the manner of restraint employed by Chauvin and his colleagues. Chauvin himself chose not to testify, invoking his right to not incriminate himself.

A jury of his peers found Chauvin guilty of 2nd degree murder, 3rd degree murder, and manslaughter. That means, by definition, it was murder.
                      About a month ago, he was sentenced to 22.5 years in prison.
                  Working...
                  X