Predict the US midterm results.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love bets.

OK so Spambot and Ben Kenobi in an avatar bet. Let's make it happen!
    Order of the Fly
    Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post

If I were to quote the predictit odds on ND alone it would be around 5 percent, and that's just for one state. All that has to happen is that one of those states flips the other way and you lose. 20 percent? My ass. Again, he's taking advantage of people not understanding how probabilities work.
      Silver claims that the Democrats have a roughly 1 in 4 chance of holding North Dakota. I don't know much about his methodology, but I'm guessing it doesn't consist of quoting betting markets.

Comment

Heck, if you trust Predictit, just look at the prices for the Republicans holding 49 or fewer seats, 50 seats, 51 seats, etc.:
        https://www.predictit.org/markets/de...-2018-midterms

Evidently betters think there is a roughly one in eight chance of the Democrats holding the Senate, and their median expectation is around 52 seats for the Republicans.

Comment

Here's the market for "Which party will control the Senate after the 2018 midterm elections"

14c for the Dems, 86c for the Republicans. Since you evidently know that the Dems have a 1% chance of taking the Senate, this looks like easy money for you.

Comment

Voted, first time in a midterm.

JM
            Jon Miller-
            I AM.CANADIAN
            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I don't think that many Ds are going to vote.
              I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
              - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Silver claims that the Democrats have a roughly 1 in 4 chance of holding North Dakota. I don't know much about his methodology, but I'm guessing it doesn't consist of quoting betting markets
                So how do we price this? Avatar bet over time? 4 months for me, one for you if the Democrats take the Senate..
                Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Now we are having a real conversation. Lets sign a..

CONTRACT.
                  Order of the Fly
                  Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

14c for the Dems, 86c for the Republicans. Since you evidently know that the Dems have a 1% chance of taking the Senate, this looks like easy money for you.
                    Yeah. Problem is that with, say, 100 dollars I'd net about 114. There's an opportunity cost of tying up 100 dollars. If I could do more I'd pay off a few bills that way, but I'm pretty sure it's capped.
                    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

So how do we price this? Avatar bet over time? 4 months for me, one for you if the Democrats take the Senate..
                      The time duration isn't as important as the fact that you won the bet. I'm not going to bet on the Dems taking the Senate.

Comment

Voted.

I always vote a little after 10am, when there's rarely much of a wait.
                        Today, that polling place was significantly more crowded than usual.
                        Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Yeah... I went in at the same time as I did last mid terms, and it was much more crowded this time as well
                          But then again, we vote at the same place
                          Keep on Civin'
                          RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I voted just after lunch, and there was no line, as expected
                            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I have noticed several pundits predicting Dems pick up 32 in tye house and one in the Senate. My prediction is less rosie but I am sticking with it.
                              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Christ. 20 percent Democrat chances to win the Senate? It's more like 1 percent. Anyone here want to take that bet up with me? Seriously, 538 is taking advantage of people's lack of numeracy.
                                So to be clear, you’re offering a payout of 99 for every 1 bet?

Comment

Working...
                                X