X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just voted
    Dems in the House 215
    Dems in the Senate 48

I think the Dems will be the first party ever to gain seats in the house but lose in the Senate at a mid term when not in power
    Keep on Civin'
    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Ming View Post
      I think the Dems will be the first party ever to gain seats in the house but lose in the Senate at a mid term when not in power
      Nope!
      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I'll have to go back and look at the story I read this morning to see how the "phrased it"
        But, I will admit I'm wrong on that claim
        Good Source
        Keep on Civin'
        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by ZEE View Post
          The Republicans baby. The republicans.

The future supreme overlords of this country. Armed troops on every streetcorner. Mandatory curfews. No lawyers, life in prison for petty theft.
          *sigh*

I can't wait.

Sent from my HTC Desire 626 using Tapatalk
          Chris Tucker 2020
          Make America Super-Green Again!
          I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!
          Rules are like Egg's. They're fun when thrown out the window!
          Difference is irrelevant when dosage is higher than recommended!

Comment

Crazy for putting money down on Heitcamp if you expect her to win.
            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

As for the Trump election, funny I seem to recall Nate Silver also predicting Hillary would win. Nobody had Trump winning, and yet everyone is backpeddling now and say, "yeah it was a real possibility" LOL. Easy to CYA, but his call was Hillary and so were almost everyone's picks here.
              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

For this one. I have Rs at 58, Ds at 42 in the Senate. Gain of 4 in the House for Republicans.

538 was 5 points off last election. This flips WI and the MN special. I have WV for Manchin, but that could flip too. All three are really close. OH with Brown could also flip, alongside MI with Jones, but I think Brown and Stabenow hold on, as Democrat incumbants in purple states.

Rs win ND, TX, TN, MO, IN, MT, FL, AZ, WI and the MN special. Lose in WV, OH, and MI, but close. NJ won't be close.

R 56 D 44 is pretty much just as likely as R 58, WI and MN are quite close.

Comment

Christ. 20 percent Democrat chances to win the Senate? It's more like 1 percent. Anyone here want to take that bet up with me? Seriously, 538 is taking advantage of people's lack of numeracy.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                    As for the Trump election, funny I seem to recall Nate Silver also predicting Hillary would win. Nobody had Trump winning, and yet everyone is backpeddling now and say, "yeah it was a real possibility" LOL. Easy to CYA, but his call was Hillary and so were almost everyone's picks here.
                    Do you understand how probability works?

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                      Christ. 20 percent Democrat chances to win the Senate? It's more like 1 percent. Anyone here want to take that bet up with me? Seriously, 538 is taking advantage of people's lack of numeracy.
                      Why would someone bet on the democrats taking the Senate if they believe it's somewhere in the ballpark of 1 in 5. I'd be happy to bet against your claim that the Republicans will gain seats in the House.

Comment

Do you understand how probability works?
                        Yep, sure do.

ND is an R Lock, at around R+10 so maybe 2,3 percent by itself chance of a Democrat hold. Let's be generous and say 5.

TX is an R Likely at around R+8, so maybe 20 percent chance of flipping democrat

TN is the same, around R+8 maybe 25 to account for it being less polar than TX.

That's already 0.25 * 0.2 * 0.05 to flip all three.

We have WV, IN, AZ, MO, MT, FL, which is six tossups. Ds would need to win all six. Assuming they are true tossups that's 0.5^6 = 0.015 or 1.5%.

0.015 * 0.2 * 0.25 * 0.05 = 0.000039 or 0.0039 percent odds of a Democrat win in the Senate.

at 5:1 your odds should be 25600:1.

Your odds are about 5k:1 of making back your money. I feel confident betting my house against 5:1 odds on the Democrats winning the Senate.

Comment

If OH is at 35 percent, MI at about 30, WI at about 40 and MN special at about 40, that's

0.65 * 0.7 * 0.6 * 0.6 = 0.16 or a 16 percent chance of holding all 4.

My averages work out to around 50 percent odds of R+5 based on these numbers. R+2 is around 20 percent.

Comment

I'd be happy to bet against your claim that the Republicans will gain seats in the House.
                            Just looking at the tossups it's about 40 percent chance of retention for the Republicans, assuming that RCP is right about which races are tossup. R+4 is probably around 10 percent or so, assuming that RCP is correct about the races that it is calling. If there's systematic bias of about 5 percent in their numbers (as there was in 2016), then we'd be looking at a congressional ballot of about +1 Democrat which means that Rs would be odds on to gain a few.

Comment

You're assuming all of those probabilities are completely independent? Now that's just silly.

Comment

You're assuming all of those probabilities are completely independent? Now that's just silly.
                                If I were to quote the predictit odds on ND alone it would be around 5 percent, and that's just for one state. All that has to happen is that one of those states flips the other way and you lose. 20 percent? My ass. Again, he's taking advantage of people not understanding how probabilities work.

Comment

Working...
                                X