Thread for obviously newsworthy stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
    Amazon Fire Hoax. Called it. The fires are mostly burning land that was already cleared for farming before. The fires have spread to some old growth forest.
    So a hoax is when the thing that is happening is claimed to be happening, and it turns out that it really was happening, but only accidentally... as in it happened because of people doing other things that obviously would cause it to happen?

Weve cleared over half the tropicsl forests in the world over the last 60 years. Anyone concerned with the other half is obviously just promoting a hoax!

The real hoax here is the lack of coverage on other fires and other years. This sort of coverage should be on the fires every year, everywhere it’s happening. Even the response this has gotten falls far short of the severity of what is taking place.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aeson View Post

So a hoax is when the thing that is happening is claimed to be happening, and it turns out that it really was happening, but only accidentally... as in it happened because of people doing other things that obviously would cause it to happen?

Weve cleared over half the tropicsl forests in the world over the last 60 years. Anyone concerned with the other half is obviously just promoting a hoax!

The real hoax here is the lack of coverage on other fires and other years. This sort of coverage should be on the fires every year, everywhere it’s happening. Even the response this has gotten falls far short of the severity of what is taking place.
      Distrust is created from these kinds of hoaxes. Is this your best idea? Fake news? Do you know what the media's approval rating is? I think it's in the teens. I don't think that's working.
      I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
      - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Distrust is created from these kinds of hoaxes. Is this your best idea? Fake news? Do you know what the media's approval rating is? I think it's in the teens. I don't think that's working.
        Who cares about the news? I haven't watched it for years, partly because they ignore the really important issues most of the time to focus on trivialities.

Exactly what you're doing ... the important issue here is that we are still losing ground when it comes to protecting what little remains of our important ecosystems around the world. There isn't a problem with TOO MUCH outrage at the fires in the Amazon. There's a problem with NOT ENOUGH outrage and coverage of the fires in the Amazon every year, the fires in Indonesia, and the Philippines, and Africa, and everywhere else. EVERY YEAR.

You just say, "well it's farmers clearing their land ... and a little bit of collateral damager" ... ignoring the facts that we're still losing huge swaths of forests every year, and have decimated over half of them already. And burning to clear farmland is not sustainable either. It's a terrible practice. (I don't blame the farmers. At least not the small scale ones. It's the consumers and the governments that are to blame for making it economically impossible to survive otherwise.)

Comment

Who cares about the news? I haven't watched it for years, partly because they ignore the really important issues most of the time to focus on trivialities.

Exactly what you're doing ... the important issue here is that we are still losing ground when it comes to protecting what little remains of our important ecosystems around the world. There isn't a problem with TOO MUCH outrage at the fires in the Amazon. There's a problem with NOT ENOUGH outrage and coverage of the fires in the Amazon every year, the fires in Indonesia, and the Philippines, and Africa, and everywhere else. EVERY YEAR.

You just say, "well it's farmers clearing their land ... and a little bit of collateral damager" ... ignoring the facts that we're still losing huge swaths of forests every year, and have decimated over half of them already. And burning to clear farmland is not sustainable either. It's a terrible practice. (I don't blame the farmers. At least not the small scale ones. It's the consumers and the governments that are to blame for making it economically impossible to survive otherwise.)
          I'm not complaining about outrage in general. I'm complaining about the fake outrage, because people know it's fake. I'm saying that that's part of the problem. Don't people say, when a women makes a false accusation of rape, that she harmed real victims? Do you think that's true? If so, what's the difference here? They create distrust. That's not good.

Comment

• It's not fake outrage. You're only saying it's a hoax because in the past it hasn't received as much coverage. The reality is it should receive much more coverage and outrage.

Comment

• People don't watch the news to be lied too. That's why NOBODY likes fake news

Comment

• There are real fires burning. It's not fake news.

Comment

• They are misleading everyone and you know it. Old growth is not burning like they are saying

Comment

• Idk why liberals don't get mad about being constantly lied to.

Comment

• -Jrabbit
                      -Jrabbit commented
                      Editing a comment
                      We do. But Trump just won't stop.

• Kidlicious
                      Kidlicious commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I can only assume that you love being lied too then. No one could be that stupid.

• -Jrabbit
                      -Jrabbit commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I said we do get mad at being lied to. So, speaking of being stupid: Learn to read.

• You don't seem to get mad when you're constantly lied to by Trump and Fox?
                    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

The fires have spread to some old growth forest.
                      Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
                      Old growth is not burning like they are saying

Comment

Second clause is not for my health

Comment

• IG report says that Comey broke the law and violated policy harming the FBI and the nation.

Comment

• The same IG that is spending 30K at a trump resort? What else would you expect him to say.
                            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• And now for something, completely different.
                              Originally posted by BBC
                              Man fined after driving car with a car on its roof in Aberystwyth

A man has been fined and given three penalty points on his driving licence after driving a car with another car strapped to its roof.

Glyndwr Wyn Richards, from Llanfarian in Ceredigion, was convicted of using a motor vehicle in a condition likely to cause injury at Aberystwyth Magistrates' Court on Wednesday.

Richards, 51, was seen driving the car through Aberystwyth to a scrap yard on the Glan yr Afon Industrial Estate in March.

He was fined £80 and told to pay a victim surcharge of £30 and costs of £85 after pleading guilty to the offence.

I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!
                              Rules are like Egg's. They're fun when thrown out the window!
                              Difference is irrelevant when dosage is higher than recommended!

Comment

Working...
                              X