Thread for obviously newsworthy stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by pchang View Post
    So you think there are no structural biases in the US? I'll continue to benefit from you voting for politicians who favor the rich at the expense of everyone else.
    The framers were biased against the poor ignorant masses for sure because they were small government.
    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• Originally posted by Kidicious View Post

The framers were biased against the poor ignorant masses for sure because they were small government.
      They surely were.
      The united states initially had no parties and the initial idea behind the electorate was, that the uneducated people should vote someone educated out of their region, who would represent the regions interests when suggesting a presidential candidate and voting for him (together with all other electors from the electorate)

The electorate system began to make less and less sense, when parties were inriduced into the US governmental system and things like "winner takes all electors of the state" and "electors being bound to vote for the elector of their party".

Nowadays the electorate system is simply an undemocratic relic of times long gone
      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

• Originally posted by Proteus_MST View Post
        Trump has canceled the North Korea summit with Kim:
        President Donald Trump will not meet North Korean leader Kim Jong Un next month, he announced in a letter to Kim released by the White House Thursday morning, scrapping plans for what would have been a historic diplomatic summit.

Guess Trump is afraid that Kim will turn out to be intellectually superior compared to himself
        (which, I guess, will be very likely)
        Trump was spooked when he found out what Kim does to slimey orangish stuff ...

Comment

They surely were.
          The united states initially had no parties and the initial idea behind the electorate was, that the uneducated people should vote someone educated out of their region, who would represent the regions interests when suggesting a presidential candidate and voting for him (together with all other electors from the electorate)

The electorate system began to make less and less sense, when parties were inriduced into the US governmental system and things like "winner takes all electors of the state" and "electors being bound to vote for the elector of their party".

Nowadays the electorate system is simply an undemocratic relic of times long gone
          Do you also have a problem with our Senate, because each state gets 2 senators.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	capote.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	9346827
            There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

Do you also have a problem with our Senate, because each state gets 2 senators.
              In a way, yes.
              On the other hand the 2 senators are voted for separately, in contrast to the "winner takes all" rule that most states have regarding their electorate.
              So there is a chance that, in a closely split voting population of a state you may get one senator who belongs to the democrats and one senator who belongs to the republicans.

Whereas in presidential election in most states it is all or nothing ... even a highly split outcome with just 50.5% for Republicans and 49.5 % for the Democrats will result in the Republicans getting 100% of the electors of the state.

Abandoning the "Winner takes all"-rule in all states would already be a good first step, to make the presidential election more democratic
              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

In a way, yes.
                On the other hand the 2 senators are voted for separately, in contrast to the "winner takes all" rule that most states have regarding their electorate.
                So there is a chance that, in a closely split voting population of a state you may get one senator who belongs to the democrats and one senator who belongs to the republicans.

Whereas in presidential election in most states it is all or nothing ... even a highly split outcome with just 50.5% for Republicans and 49.5 % for the Democrats will result in the Republicans getting 100% of the electors of the state.

Abandoning the "Winner takes all"-rule in all states would already be a good first step, to make the presidential election more democratic
                More democratic is not necessarily better. And the Senate will always be more likely to be Republican majority than the President. The framers did not like democracy as much as you, and they would not like the Democrats for sure.

Comment

More democratic is not necessarily better. And the Senate will always be more likely to be Republican majority than the President. The framers did not like democracy as much as you, and they would not like the Democrats for sure.
                  The question is whether it makes sense to preserve the mechanisms of the framers for eternity.
                  The world has changed in ways that the framers could not forrsee.

We now have womens suffrage, blacks and indians being full members of society (including voting rights).
                  All of the european countries, who were monarchies at the foundation of the republic, now are full fledged democracies.
                  Messages which, during the time of the founders, would take days or even weeks to transfer from one edge of the USA to the other, can now transmitted via seconds.

Likewise religiosity has changed a lot and we have more religious pluralism than before.

I am sure that the founders couldn't, in their wildest dreams, imagine a world like this.

Therefore we cannot be sure which specifics the framers would choose if they would have to draft the important mechanisms of their state with the knowledge of today.

The same, btw. can be said for the 2nd amendment.
                  No matter whether the framers thought, that only militia members should be allowed to possess firearms, or whether they intended every single citizen to possess firearms, one fact remains:
                  The founders grew up in a time where you had single shot, or at the most, double shot pistols and rifles, which would take several minutes to reload.

There were no indications of half automatic weapons in the near or far future of the founders and likely no indications of equipment (i.e. bump stocks) that could turn said half-automatic weapons in full automatic weapons. So, a criminal in legal possession of firearms during the time of the founders was able to kill, at most 1-2 people ... maybe 4 if he had 2 double barrel pistols. Nowadays a single individual in possession of legal firearms is able to wound or kill 100s of people.

Likewise, unlike during the time of the founders, á well regulated militia with legal firearms is improbable to defeat a regular army armed with tanks, jets, drones, artillery and maybe even atomic weapons.

So, I think the 2nd amendment is antiquated as well and it is doubtful to me that the founders, with the knowledge of today, would put the 2nd amendment into the constitution ... especially not in the ambiguous form that is known today

Comment

The question is whether it makes sense to preserve the mechanisms of the framers for eternity.
                    The world has changed in ways that the framers could not forrsee.

We now have womens suffrage, blacks and indians being full members of society (including voting rights).
                    All of the european countries, who were monarchies at the foundation of the republic, now are full fledged democracies.
                    Messages which, during the time of the founders, would take days or even weeks to transfer from one edge of the USA to the other, can now transmitted via seconds.

Likewise religiosity has changed a lot and we have more religious pluralism than before.

I am sure that the founders couldn't, in their wildest dreams, imagine a world like this.

Therefore we cannot be sure which specifics the framers would choose if they would have to draft the important mechanisms of their state with the knowledge of today.

The same, btw. can be said for the 2nd amendment.
                    No matter whether the framers thought, that only militia members should be allowed to possess firearms, or whether they intended every single citizen to possess firearms, one fact remains:
                    The founders grew up in a time where you had single shot, or at the most, double shot pistols and rifles, which would take several minutes to reload.

There were no indications of half automatic weapons in the near or far future of the founders and likely no indications of equipment (i.e. bump stocks) that could turn said half-automatic weapons in full automatic weapons. So, a criminal in legal possession of firearms during the time of the founders was able to kill, at most 1-2 people ... maybe 4 if he had 2 double barrel pistols. Nowadays a single individual in possession of legal firearms is able to wound or kill 100s of people.

Likewise, unlike during the time of the founders, á well regulated militia with legal firearms is improbable to defeat a regular army armed with tanks, jets, drones, artillery and maybe even atomic weapons.

So, I think the 2nd amendment is antiquated as well and it is doubtful to me that the founders, with the knowledge of today, would put the 2nd amendment into the constitution ... especially not in the ambiguous form that is known today
                    Not much to say in response. The framers believed in much lower taxes, even less power in the executive branch. They would be absolutely horified by the lack of judicial restraint. They would be outraged by the anti-intellectualism on our university campuses and the lack of proper moral education. Don't even get me started on the deep state and the fake news.

Comment

• Mueller has been trying to interview Trump on the record for almost half a year now but Trump keeps stalling and delaying. While in public Trump falsely claims this very short, almost record speed special investigation is some how going on too long (it has been just one year so far). Gee, maybe if Trump would stop stalling and start cooperating with law enforcement then things would move more quickly? :rolleyes

President Donald Trump’s lawyers and special counsel Robert Mueller discussed a potential January 27, 2018, interview of the President before talks between the two sides stalled, sources briefed on the discussions told CNN.
                      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dinner View Post
                        Mueller has been trying to interview Trump on the record for almost half a year now but Trump keeps stalling and delaying. While in public Trump falsely claims this very short, almost record speed special investigation is some how going on too long (it has been just one year so far). Gee, maybe if Trump would stop stalling and start cooperating with law enforcement then things would move more quickly? :rolleyes

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/24/polit...ler/index.html
                        Mueller was appointed because Trump fired Comey. We are all horrified that he was ever the Director of the FBI, and Rosenstein and Mueller know Comey better than the rest of us. Comey misled the President. We know that for sure. Firing him was justified just for that. But we both know that there is more to it than that. Maybe that's why you tell people to commit suicide.

Comment

• You're an idiot who doesn't know a single thing.
                          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dinner View Post
                            You're an idiot who doesn't know a single thing.
                            No dip****. I know that it wasn't constitutional to hire a special prosecutor and not give him a defined scope of investigation because the President fired a piece of **** corrupt sleazeball.

Comment

• You forgetting about the time
                              Trump asks Russia to hack Hillary's emails
                              I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!
                              Rules are like Egg's. They're fun when thrown out the window!
                              Difference is irrelevant when dosage is higher than recommended!

Comment

No dip****. I know that it wasn't constitutional to hire a special prosecutor and not give him a defined scope of investigation because the President fired a piece of **** corrupt sleazeball.
                                There is a defined scope of investigation ... it is just that Rosenstein & Co don't want to give the suspects/targets of their investigation more, than a redacted version of the document outlining it, so they cannot prepare and maybe destroy evidences that may be interesting for the investigation

Comment

Working...
                                X