Illinois overtaking California!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post

The reasoning behind discouraging children from smoking has to do with the health consequences.

The same applies to homosexuality. If I can justify discouraging unhealthy behaviors as a parent wrt smoking the same applies to homosexuality.

Yet you believe it's ok to discourage a child from smoking. Curious that.

Have you ever heard of practicing Safe sex? Teach them that. Teach them monogamy.
    But more importantly, if you didn't go to your child's wedding because they were a smoker, you'd still be considered the worlds worst parent/

And for the record, as a 40 year smoker myself, I did point out to my daughter that smoking wasn't a good idea, and eventually quit partially at her insistence.
    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Well, then. Now you're arguing something different. Now you're going to have to argue that my position has nothing to do with my faith.
      BS... The Catholic church doesn't preach hate... it doesn't tell you to hate sinners. Maybe you should listen to the head of the church.

I have declined to attend other family weddings in the past, Ming. As for the former, no the Catholic church does not teach that a wedding between non-Christian Catholics is necessarily bad. There are circumstances that would also be problematic, but in general that is not the case.
      Gee Ben... getting pretty selective on what's a sin. A sin is a sin. Having sex and not being married in the Church is a sin pure and simple. Look it up.

This is not the same for homosexual marriages, where we are instructed not to attend.
      And instructed by whom... are you saying that EVERY priest and above instructs people to not attend?
      Gee, I guess I know different priests than you do. Yeah, they say it's a sin, just like having sex outside of a Catholic marriage, but I've never been "instructed" to not attend a marriage that is not Catholic.

Indeed. But there is a difference between the sin and the sinner.
      Yes there is... so why do you hate gays so much?
      Keep on Civin'
      RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I believe sex is reserved for marriage. That applies to everyone.
        Since sex is a natural activity on line with eating, drinking and breathing, I suppose that such activities also should be reserved for marriage.
        With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Yes, Ben gets to make the rules for all of us, because his religion is right and everyone else's doesn't matter.
          Thank goodness that everyone is guaranteed religious freedom.
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Have you ever heard of practicing Safe sex? Teach them that. Teach them monogamy.
            I'm not sure what your perceptions are of my views on sex education.. I don't have a problem with teaching people things. I've been taught everything myself, and expect to do the same for my family. I believe in people making *informed* choices in having all the information in front of them and then making decisions rather than making them out of ignorance.

But more importantly, if you didn't go to your child's wedding because they were a smoker, you'd still be considered the worlds worst parent/
            Smoking doesn't usually concern intimate relationships in the same way.

And for the record, as a 40 year smoker myself, I did point out to my daughter that smoking wasn't a good idea, and eventually quit partially at her insistence.
            It's a reasonable thing to do. There are health consequences associated with homosexuality. Again, part of what I was taught in sex education. Like I said I learned pretty much *everything*.
            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Since sex is a natural activity on line with eating, drinking and breathing, I suppose that such activities also should be reserved for marriage.
              This is a good question. If sex were just like eating and drinking and breathing, why don't we all do it in the cafeteria? The answer is that there are important differences between sex and the other three.

Also, you don't die if you don't have sex, whereas you will without the other three.
              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

Gee Ben... getting pretty selective on what's a sin. A sin is a sin. Having sex and not being married in the Church is a sin pure and simple. Look it up.
                Pretty sure I said that there were some weddings that I've not attended...

And instructed by whom... are you saying that EVERY priest and above instructs people to not attend?
                I'm saying that the bishops have instructed faithful Catholics not to attend homosexual weddings. That - plus for church employees it is somewhat different from laypersons. You do realize that, right?

I've never been "instructed" to not attend a marriage that is not Catholic.
                I have spoken about it with my priest prior, had some long talks about it. Usual answer I've got is "it depends", meaning use your judgment. I have gone to some and not gone to some.

Yes there is... so why do you hate gays so much?
                If I believed sodomy to be a sin would I be helping or hurting by reminding people of that fact?

Comment

Pretty sure I said that there were some weddings that I've not attended...
                  So, you have NEVER attended a non Catholic wedding?

I'm saying that the bishops have instructed faithful Catholics not to attend homosexual weddings. That - plus for church employees it is somewhat different from laypersons. You do realize that, right?
                  Tying to move the bar again... I've never had a priest, bishop, or cardinal "instruct" me to not attend a homosexual wedding. I've asked around to my friends, some of who do work for the Church, and NONE of them have ever been so "instructed"

I have spoken about it with my priest prior, had some long talks about it. Usual answer I've got is "it depends", meaning use your judgment. I have gone to some and not gone to some.
                  So you are picking what sins to support or not support. A sin is a sin. Avoiding gay marriages while attending ANY non catholic wedding proves it's not about religion. It's about your hatred of gays.

If I believed sodomy to be a sin would I be helping or hurting by reminding people of that fact?
                  Gee, you have no problem not telling other people about their sins... Everybody is a sinner. You should call out every persons sins.
                  Do you tell all your non catholic friends that they are going to burn in Hell? Or do you just tell the gays?
                  Keep on Civin'

Comment

So, you have NEVER attended a non Catholic wedding?
                    I have attended some weddings, and some I have not attended.
                    Tying to move the bar again... I've never had a priest, bishop, or cardinal "instruct" me to not attend a homosexual wedding.
                    You're also with Cupich, which pretty much explains THAT.

So you are picking what sins to support or not support. A sin is a sin. Avoiding gay marriages while attending ANY non catholic wedding proves it's not about religion. It's about your hatred of gays.
                    Hrm? Mennonites teach the same as Baptists do and Catholics do about pre-marital sex. Why would it be a sin to go to a wedding between a man and a woman that I know have waited?

Gee, you have no problem not telling other people about their sins... Everybody is a sinner. You should call out every persons sins.
                    I don't see 'murderer's pride day' being celebrated. I don't see people trying to hammer me down for calling out other sins. Why is that?

The reason I spend so much time on this sin here, is because there are many who do not believe it is a sin. Plain and simple.

Do you tell all your non catholic friends that they are going to burn in Hell? Or do you just tell the gays?
                    Hrm? Lumen Gentium does not say that. Better read up on your canon law.

Comment

I have attended some weddings, and some I have not attended.
                      Hrm? Mennonites teach the same as Baptists do and Catholics do about pre-marital sex. Why would it be a sin to go to a wedding between a man and a woman that I know have waited?
                      You know have waited... So you ask them if they have had sex before agreeing to go to their weddings And you believe what they tell you Or do you just guess

You're also with Cupich, which pretty much explains THAT.
                      Well you are the one that's going to have to explain that. Isn't the Chicago Cardinal good enough for BK Catholicism. But then again, this is the one that thinks he knows more than the Pope.

I don't see 'murderer's pride day' being celebrated. I don't see people trying to hammer me down for calling out other sins. Why is that?
                      What a bigot, now you are comparing gays to murderers...

The reason I spend so much time on this sin here, is because there are many who do not believe it is a sin. Plain and simple.
                      And probably many here don't believe premarital sex is a "sin" either, or many other things that you think are sins... so why is this your crusade... oh that's right, you get the to choose which sins are worse than others.

Hrm? Lumen Gentium does not say that. Better read up on your canon law.
                      Maybe you better brush up on it as well. It only says that there is some hope that they won't be burning in hell... it all depends. So are you a confessor for all of your Non Catholic friends so that you know whether the qualify or not?
                      Keep on Civin'

Comment

You know have waited... So you ask them if they have had sex before agreeing to go to their weddings And you believe what they tell you Or do you just guess
                        Friends and family that have regularly gone to church. I don't think that's a particularly high bar either. It also tends to be a conversation we have had over the years.
                        Well you are the one that's going to have to explain that. Isn't the Chicago Cardinal good enough for BK Catholicism. But then again, this is the one that thinks he knows more than the Pope.
                        Cupich is well known for his heterodoxy. But then what do I know?

What a bigot, now you are comparing gays to murderers...
                        You didn't answer my question. Why don't we see 'murderers pride' days?

And probably many here don't believe premarital sex is a "sin" either, or many other things that you think are sins... so why is this your crusade... oh that's right, you get the to choose which sins are worse than others.
                        It's come up fairly often, even in this thread.

Maybe you better brush up on it as well. It only says that there is some hope that they won't be burning in hell... it all depends. So are you a confessor for all of your Non Catholic friends so that you know whether the qualify or not?
                        Go read Lumen Gentium. I bet you don't even know what that is.

Comment

Friends and family that have regularly gone to church. I don't think that's a particularly high bar either. It also tends to be a conversation we have had over the years.
                          Gee... that's still not proof that they aren't sinning. It's nice to know that you think you are all knowing about your friends.

Cupich is well known for his heterodoxy. But then what do I know?
                          Obviously less than the Pope who appointed him. It's nice to know that you think you are a better judge of who should be a Cardinal than the Pope.

You didn't answer my question. Why don't we see 'murderers pride' days?
                          Again, the bigot is comparing being gay to being a murderer.

It's come up fairly often, even in this thread.
                          Yeah, that you use religion as an excuse for your hate. It's nice to know that you think you understand your religion better than the Pope once again.

Go read Lumen Gentium. I bet you don't even know what that is.
                          And surprising since you seem to think you know about everything, you would lose that bet.
                          Maybe you should go back and read it again.

Keep on Civin'

Comment

This is a good question. If sex were just like eating and drinking and breathing, why don't we all do it in the cafeteria? The answer is that there are important differences between sex and the other three.
                            If society considered it inside the norms of acceptable behavior, sex in cafeterias could be a possibility, though, pure practical things like "please pass the salt" in the middle of the act would probably make people want more private circumstances to do the act.

Also, you don't die if you don't have sex, whereas you will without the other three.
                            Not immediately, but if you don't have sex your genes die and then all your eating, drinking and breathing has been a waste.
                            With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Working...
                            X