No announcement yet.

Fake News Reporting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The fact that the positions of the federal judges are appointed by the ruling president and senate (and not by some independent institution), and that their appointment is for a lifetime (and not for a couple of years) also don't help to increase my confidence in the america justice system.
    While on the surface this does seem just plain silly, and recently been a source of irritation for me, it's not as bad as it appears. Obama had two terms (minus the final year when the REPs stiffed him) to pack a lot of those positions. Political parties don't hold power for a lifetime, it goes back and forth every decade or so, with the result that it does even out.

But yeah, I would prefer it being done by a non-partisan committee based on merit. Of course voting for local judges is even more stupid, because almost every voter has no clue on any of the judges. I always carry a list in from the local paper since I don't have the time to research them myself.
    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Originally posted by rah View Post

While on the surface this does seem just plain silly, and recently been a source of irritation for me, it's not as bad as it appears. Obama had two terms (minus the final year when the REPs stiffed him) to pack a lot of those positions. Political parties don't hold power for a lifetime, it goes back and forth every decade or so, with the result that it does even out.

But yeah, I would prefer it being done by a non-partisan committee based on merit. Of course voting for local judges is even more stupid, because almost every voter has no clue on any of the judges. I always carry a list in from the local paper since I don't have the time to research them myself.
      I think the "good thing" is, that the usual picks for federal juge are already rather old (so it usually may be just 1-2 decades till their position becomes vacant for one reason or the other)
      The attempt of Trump to appoint Brett Talley as federal judge could, if it gets through the senate, be something rather dangerous ... no only that he is deemed inappropriate as federal juge in all regards, but (thanks to being just 35/36 yo) he might, if appointed also hold the position for 30-40 years or more.
      (Might give Trump the idea to repeat it if other positions as federal juge become free (i.e. to, once again, nominate rather young people who share his views))
      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

• And the next president can do the same. And I think we can bet the next one will be a bit more sane. So yeah, it's not good but there are many open positions and usually good turnover (as you mentioned) And who knows what women are out there that he might have harassed. (we can only hope)
        The supreme court is more bothersome due to the age of a few current judges.

But could any committee deciding merit ever be truly non-partisan? Most non-partisan committees are just made up of an equal number from each side.
        I would settle for that though.
        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Originally posted by rah View Post

But could any committee deciding merit ever be truly non-partisan? Most non-partisan committees are just made up of an equal number from each side.
          I would settle for that though.
          I think it would not be such a problem (even with the current apointment by president+Senate) if the maximum duration for the appointment were limited by law (to maybe 1-2 decades).
          I mean, even the number of years that the PotUS may rule is limited (unfortunately ... else maybe Obama would still be President ... and not Trump), so why is the position of federal (or supreme) judge, in contrast to this, a lifetime appointment?
          Also perhps it would be a good idea to hvae something like a formal requirement with regards to practical experience ... this would, for example, prevent Brett Tally, due to him never having tried a case in court.
          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

• Originally posted by Proteus_MST View Post

Unless the local sheriff or an armed rightwing "hero" decides otherwise
            Also, if you are a rich white guy, you usually get away with more things than if you are a poor black person ... I am sure that, for example, Brock Turner, had he been black and son of a middle or lower class family, would still sit in prison for his rape of an intoxicated girl.
            I am also sure that Trump, without his rich parents, would have been able to evade the military draft so easily (but instead had been forced to serve in Vietnam, just like Trumps favorite bullying victim Mc Caine

The fact that the positions of the federal judges are appointed by the ruling president and senate (and not by some independent institution), and that their appointment is for a lifetime (and not for a couple of years) also don't help to increase my confidence in the american justice system.
            (just look at the current candidate picked by Trump ... Brett Talley ... he is not independent (married to a WH lawyer (something he didn't disclose by himself, so he also is dishonest)), has never tried a case and is deemed unqualified by the American Bar Federation for the position of a judge ... nevertheless, if the GOP Senators decide as Trump wants, he will be appointed federal judge ... and then he will be in this position for the next 30-40 years (maybe even longer))
            Local sheriffs can not violate the Constitution. No one can.
            I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
            - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• Originally posted by Kidicious View Post

Local sheriffs can not violate the Constitution. No one can.
              Local Sheriffs can get away with a lot of things, ask Joe Arpaio

Comment

I think it would not be such a problem (even with the current apointment by president+Senate) if the maximum duration for the appointment were limited by law (to maybe 1-2 decades).
                I mean, even the number of years that the PotUS may rule is limited (unfortunately ... else maybe Obama would still be President ... and not Trump), so why is the position of federal (or supreme) judge, in contrast to this, a lifetime appointment?
                Also perhps it would be a good idea to hvae something like a formal requirement with regards to practical experience ... this would, for example, prevent Brett Tally, due to him never having tried a case in court.
                The 20 year limit would be fine as far as I'm concerned. The life long appointment has always been an issue for me.
                The practical experience requirement, I'm not as sure of. Yeah it would keep Tally out, but I'm sure there have been many judges that laced practical experience so I don't know if I would go that far as a knee jerk because of one man. ( I know there are others) When I was younger I caddied for a judge that orginally had no practical exp and he was a real good man that earned a fine reputation on the bench. There were a few other Judges that I caddied for that did have experience and one used to brag how he let a girl off for a BJ.
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Local Sheriffs can get away with a lot of things, ask Joe Arpaio
                  What a truly disgusting attempt to justify your government's violation of the rights of political opponents. Every single local sheriff in America is better than your country.

Comment

What a truly disgusting attempt to justify your government's violation of the rights of political opponents. Every single local sheriff in America is better than your country.
                    The last time we used prisonerrs for forced heavy labour was 70-80 years ago ... during one of our darkest chapters in ur history.
                    Similarly the last time when we imprisoned prsoners in tents with little protection from the elementsand under bad sanitary conditions.
                    And I also think that this was the lst time that we sent armed policemen into districts in order to violate their personal quarters of its inhabitants without having a court order
                    (and deport anyone lacking proper papers without any permissions from court)

Thanks to Joe Arpaio such things still happened on US soil less than 20 years ago.

I also heard that he was rather reluctant to solve rape crimes (several of them involving he rape of minors), just clearing them as soon s possible without them getting solved, but instead preferred to use the powers of his office in order to harass political opponents.
                    That his officers refused to get a doctor for a man who was in an obvious lifethreatening medical condition (resulting in his death)
                    And not to forget the millions of dollars that Arpaio didn't use for their purpose (feeding the prisoners) but instead for other things.

Well, I can understand why you like Arpaio, after all your master, Trump, endorses him.

I for my part however prefer to live in a country where law enforcement officers like this one will serve jailtime themselves, instead of getting away with a black eye, being praised and pardoned by the president
                    Last edited by Proteus_MST; November 29, 2017, 18:49.

Comment

• You are a very disturbing authoritarian twit.

Comment

• “The Marines made us yell ‘Geronimo’ when we jumped out of planes and that didn’t offend me either.”
                        Thomas Begay (Navajo Code Talker)

Comment

• The irony of an ABC reporter (whose parent company Disney has profited nearly half a billion dollars on the movie “Pocahontas”) inferring that the name is “offensive” is truly staggering to me.
                          Eric Trump

Comment

• Donald J. Trump
                            Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump
                            .@Theresa_May, don’t focus on me, focus on the destructive Radical Islamic Terrorism that is taking place within the United Kingdom. We are doing just fine!
                            7:02 PM · Nov 29, 2017

Retweets

Comment

The irony of an ABC reporter (whose parent company Disney has profited nearly half a billion dollars on the movie “Pocahontas”) inferring that the name is “offensive” is truly staggering to me.
                              Eric Trump
                              Replies to Eric Trumps posting:
                              nyc_oz:
                              Antwort an @EricTrump
                              the movie is about the real Pocahontas u stupid ass. ur dad is taking the name and using it as a slur. racist what part of that do u not get? just how dumb are you?
                              Ivye_Allen:

Antwort an @EricTrump
                              First of all its the listener who infers. The speaker implies. Second, there's a massive difference between a children's movie and a racially motivated slur being repeatedly used against a sitting US Senator. Besides your father and grandpa LIED about being Swedish for decades
                              Martin Paul:
                              Antwort an @EricTrump
                              Gosh, you and your brother do take the race "Who is the dumber one?" seriously, right? The suspense...! I won't deny I appreciate your determination...! Keep it up!
                              Jeffrey Evan Gold:
                              Antwort an @EricTrump
                              It's offensive when used as a pejorative (pssst Eric- means expressing disapproval or contempt) as in, for example "you are almost as dumb as Eric Trump"
                              Last edited by Proteus_MST; November 30, 2017, 03:29.

Comment

• Funny sidenote:
                                First Donald sent his tweet to the wrong Theresa May ... poor woman, now surely getting pestered by Trumpists
                                Spoiler:

Comment

Working...
                                X