Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is is better for a society to be mostly Christian or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's particularly dumb, because you have a much stronger argument right there, by just saying that like most things in life people have often misused religion, yet people like Wilberforce are examples of how it can inspire people to acts of courage and greatness too.
    Pretty sure that is my argument
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• Also, with the printing press came much tolerance. Thenn people could read the Bible (common people). More people read the Bible than ancient philosophy, and the Bible had a much greater influence on the common man.
      I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
      - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
        Renaissance predates it by two centuries.
        So what? It didn't help your church be tolerant, did it?

Comment

• Originally posted by Giancarlo View Post
          From what I've read here you want to cause serious harm. And I already said I was young and dumb. I grew up, received an education and ditched the stupid politics. I had a dose of reality. Maybe you need a dose of reality? And perhaps go get laid?
          You got your education from MSNBC. You drank the KOOL AID. You have nothing to offer me.

Comment

• So what? It didn't help your church be tolerant, did it?
            Catholics built the printing press and used it to distribute the Vulgate.
            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

Let me ask you this BK, which translations of the Bible do you find acceptable?

Comment

Pretty sure that is my argument
                Then make that argument and stop trying to cover up for truly horrific acts commited by people in the name of Christianity over the centuries. You'll find people a lot more responsive to it.

Comment

• Let me ask you this BK, which translations of the Bible do you find acceptable?
                  For English?

Personally I use the NIV which is good for about 99 percent of the things in which it's needed. But I prefer Douay-Rheims.

For Latin - it would be the Clementine Vulgate.

Comment

For English?

Personally I use the NIV which is good for about 99 percent of the things in which it's needed. But I prefer Douay-Rheims.

For Latin - it would be the Clementine Vulgate.
                    Well your church was not as tolerant of people translating the Bible, and reading whatever Bible they wanted to. That's why they persecuted people.

Comment

• Well your church was not as tolerant of people translating the Bible, and reading whatever Bible they wanted to. That's why they persecuted people.
                      Which explains why my Douay-Rheims predates the KJV?

Comment

Which explains why my Douay-Rheims predates the KJV?
                        Again, so what?

Comment

• If the Catholic church were opposed to translating the bible into languages other than Latin - why then is my DR older than the KJV? It makes no sense. Clearly the Church didn't drag it's feet in the publication.

Comment

This actually makes my point perfectly. The Catholics would never have done so unless Christians were rebelling against the Catholic Church. Protestantism forced Catholics to become more tolerant, or at least appear so.

Comment

If the Catholic church were opposed to translating the bible into languages other than Latin - why then is my DR older than the KJV? It makes no sense. Clearly the Church didn't drag it's feet in the publication.
                              Owning a Bible was prohibited by the laity. Again, you have no point. If it weren't for Protestantism you wouldn't be able to read the Bible.

Comment

• This actually makes my point perfectly. The Catholics would never have done so unless Christians were rebelling against the Catholic Church. Protestantism forced Catholics to become more tolerant, or at least appear so.
                                In 1455?

Owning a Bible was prohibited by the laity. Again, you have no point. If it weren't for Protestantism you wouldn't be able to read the Bible.
                                Then how did Gutenberg get ahold of his copy?

If it wasn't for Catholicism, there would be no bible to read.

Comment

Working...
                                X