No announcement yet.

So how long will Ben last this time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Actually, it's a rather interesting discussion, IMO. I'm enjoying it.
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• Haven't visited this thread in a couple weeks.

Thrilled to see it has devolved into Ben and Kid discussing/lecturing each other on logic, history, and religion.
      Priceless stuff!
      Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
      RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
          The problem with the protestant argument is that it ignores 11 centuries of history. What does Aristotelianism have to do with Christianity? Is there a better explanation for what happens during the mass? I've never heard one. The reason that protestants refuse to discuss the question is that they really don't believe in the Divine Presence of God.
          Erasmus was not a Protestant. He was a contemporary and good friend of St. Thomas Moore.

You should ask St. Thomas Aquinas about why he spent so much time with Aristotle.
          Last edited by The Mad Monk; February 1, 2016, 01:53.
          No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

• Erasmus was not a Protestant. He was a contemporary and good friend of St. Thomas Moore.
            I think it not a stretch to say that the reformation was the fruit of Erasmus.
            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

• His ideas were certainly supported by Protestants, notably Luther, but he himself was not a Protestant, and was held in high regard by contemporary Popes.

Comment

• His ideas were certainly supported by Protestants, notably Luther, but he himself was not a Protestant, and was held in high regard by contemporary Popes.
                Contemporary opinion was divided. Paul IV just 15 years after his passing had his books on the prohibited list. I think a fairer assessment is that the concerns have merit particularly if you examine his translation.

Comment

• Was the banning a result of what he wrote, or of what others did with what he wrote?

Comment

Working...
                  X