No announcement yet.

Irish Marriage Equality Referendum Draws Near

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two consenting adults can get married. Three consenting adults can't. A person who can exercise consen't can't marry any entity who can't (be it a child, an animal, or a potted plant). It's not very hard.
    Why can't three consenting adults sign a contract? Happens all the time. Also, same question as was asked before - what age do you think children can consent to sex?
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Yes. So either a government is responsible for private individuals' healths and livelyhoods, or it isn't. Chose one.
      At the time, the Irish were shipping out more food than they were eating. You really need to read up on the famine. Had they simply kept what they were already growing, the Famine would have not been an issue. Like pretty much every famine ever, it was the creation of Government laws in England at the time.
      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
        At what age do you believe that children can consent to sex?

Comment

Why can't three consenting adults sign a contract? Happens all the time. Also, same question as was asked before - what age do you think children can consent to sex?
          Um, they can. They just can't get married. Three consenting adults also can't own 50% of a car each.
          At whatever age they are allowed by law to do so. Also, irrelevant WRT marriage.

At the time, the Irish were shipping out more food than they were eating. You really need to read up on the famine. Had they simply kept what they were already growing, the Famine would have not been an issue. Like pretty much every famine ever, it was the creation of Government laws in England at the time.
          Yeah, the US has the greatest spenditure in health per capita. Thousands of people from throughout the world go there to get treated (so it's effectively exporting healthcare). It's good to know you support universal healthcare.

I also like that you support that debtors who can't afford to repay their loans should default. Or actions taken throughout central america against the united fruit.

I'd say that attributing every famine ever to the English is taking it a bit too far.
          Indifference is Bliss

Comment

What nonsense? You blame Irish troubles on the Church which is on par for the English. Rather than looking at the truth which is that the Catholic church has served Ireland well. I suppose you'd rather blame too many Irish for the Famine that culled them, eh?
            the nonsense contained in this post and your others in this thread. the low sophistry, the non-sequiturs, the sheer irrelevance of what you're reduced to posting is all highly assuming.
            "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Originally posted by giblets View Post
              Children are excluded from marriage because they can't exercise consent... duh.
              Ben needs someone to explain consent to him and how it relates to children.
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Not sure what gay marriage has to do with the Great Famine, but then again I didn't major in History.
                Well, the one is small potatoes, the other was blighted potatoes. Sort of related.
                1011 1100
                Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Um, they can. They just can't get married.
                  Isn't that discrimination?

Three consenting adults also can't own 50% of a car each.
                  Why are you assuming that marriage is a union? Why can't they own a third of each other?

Also, irrelevant WRT marriage.
                  Ha. Not irrelevant in the slightest. Please answer the question. You say consent is important yet refuse to state the age at which consent occurs? I guess consent just wasn't that important after all.

I also like that you support that debtors who can't afford to repay their loans should default. Or actions taken throughout central america against the united fruit. As
                  As opposed to defaulting when they die from famine? Who said anything about defaulting? They can catch up in future years when the famine is less.

Comment

There really isn't a good reason for marriage to be restricted to 2 people.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson View Post
                      I wouldn't consider it discriminatory to have such a restriction.

Comment

Originally posted by N35t0r View Post
                        Two consenting adults can get married. Three consenting adults can't. A person who can exercise consen't can't marry any entity who can't (be it a child, an animal, or a potted plant). It's not very hard.
                        but 3 adults can consent

Comment

The only good reason I've ever seen was tax related.

Comment

I wouldn't consider it discriminatory to have such a restriction.
                            Agree.
                            Agree.

(Mobile app quoted them out of order )
                            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Isn't that discrimination?.
                              How is it discrimination?

Why are you assuming that marriage is a union?
                              Because the alternative would be slavery.

Why can't they own a third of each other?
                              See? Owning people is not generally viewed upon in good light. On account of it being slavery.

Ha. Not irrelevant in the slightest. Please answer the question. You say consent is important yet refuse to state the age at which consent occurs? I guess consent just wasn't that important after all.
                              The answer to the question is right there in the part of my post you didn't quote. Also, consent, being a legal construct, is not necessarily binary. You can have 15 year-old being legally allowed to give consent for sex, but not for medical procedures, for example.

As opposed to defaulting when they die from famine? Who said anything about defaulting? They can catch up in future years when the famine is less.
                              Food was being exported because the price paid for those crops abroad was greater than what the Irish would pay. If you are seriously going to argue that they should have banned food exports to drive domestic price down, then you have some issues with your views, since in the past you have argued the exact opposite (of course, in those cases the victims weren't mainly catholic and the governing body wasn't England )
                              Indifference is Bliss

Comment

How is it discrimination?
                                You're denying their right to be married.

Because the alternative would be slavery.
                                Why should anyone 'own' anyone else in marriage? Why should it be exclusive?

You can have 15 year-old being legally allowed to give consent for sex, but not for medical procedures, for example.
                                Ok, so consent is 15 to get married. Thanks for answering the question. If consent is indeed binary, what's the justification to put it at 15? You say consent is this great, amazing standard, but when pressed, it's really not much of anything. "consent is binary" is an admission that consent really isn't a standard worth having.

Food was being exported because the price paid for those crops abroad was greater than what the Irish would pay.
                                Food was being exported because the landowners were British and the government had quota requirements for Irish exports.

banned food exports to drive domestic price down
                                The quota requirements for Irish export drove British food prices down. That was the reason for the export. Britain should simply have suspended them until normal circumstances resumed.

Spending money to shovel food into Ireland while at the same time exporting it makes no sense to me. You'll spend to ship it out and the price that the food would fetch wouldn't pay to ship food back into Ireland. This is the perverse incentive associated with quotas.

Why would any responsible landlord destroy the basis of their wealth? If they felt that the government would confiscate their land if the quotas were not met.

Comment

Working...
                                X