Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
    Don't do that.

Don't talk about your depression, insecurities, or how you might be arrogant. Don't actually try to put a flawed human face on yourself unless it's humorous.

Yeah.

Last thing he wants to do is seem like a human being.
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Don't do that.

Don't talk about your depression, insecurities, or how you might be arrogant. Don't actually try to put a flawed human face on yourself unless it's humorous.
      Yeah, for once Reg Collider speaks a modicum of the truth - go with acceptably flawed in a 'nice' way as that makes you more human and approachable and make your profile as 'unique' as possible. I.e. avoid all the cliches of being some kind of mega fit, healthy eating person who loves travelling and saving the planet, or whatever. Oh and lots of clever humour. Humour is a sure-fire 'social lubricant' as far as the fairer sex is concerned...
      "Aha, you must have supported the Iraq war and wear underpants made out of firearms, just like every other American!" Loinburger

Comment

• Originally posted by FlameFlash View Post
        I'm so glad, having read this thread, that I didn't have to deal with any of this.
        I actually kind of miss my dating phase, it was a target rich environment with plenty of fun and variety - and I never got to play with tinder...
        "Aha, you must have supported the Iraq war and wear underpants made out of firearms, just like every other American!" Loinburger

Comment

• Originally posted by I AM MOBIUS View Post
          Yeah, for once Reg Collider speaks a modicum of the truth - go with acceptably flawed in a 'nice' way as that makes you more human and approachable and make your profile as 'unique' as possible. I.e. avoid all the cliches of being some kind of mega fit, healthy eating person who loves travelling and saving the planet, or whatever. Oh and lots of clever humour. Humour is a sure-fire 'social lubricant' as far as the fairer sex is concerned...
          It's weird. I agree with your statement. However, reg's just seems totally wrong. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding him?
          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
            You obviously don't have dinner in the same places that I do.
            No, you probably don't eat dinner in my bedroom very often.

Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
            Don't do that.

So this is a case where I can call upon the success of my relationship history. All three of the women I've had relationships with knew beforehand what they were getting into. I was very explicit with them about how ****ed up I am. The only difference is that we had friendships which developed beforehand that then turned into relationships, whereas in this case I'm putting myself out there on a dating site.

That could very well be a significant difference, but I'm relying on the advice of a friend I trust a great deal more than I trust you that this is a good approach. I have a friend irl who is essentially honest at all times about everything. Like me, he's got some weird ass opinions. He also has a pretty ****ed up past involving abuse, homelessness, rape, suicide attempts, and a host of other issues. Unlike me, he has absolutely no problem making friends. He is, in fact, weirdly charming, not in spite of but because of his honesty. His approach works damn well. He's a funny looking overweight guy who does not exactly exude confidence, and women hit on him all the time (one newly acquired acquaintance once offered to give him a blowjob if he let her **** on his chest (not the weirdest proposal he's received)).
            Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

• Originally posted by I AM MOBIUS View Post
              There's humor scattered throughout my profile--my brand of humor, anyway.
              "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

• As with anything that encompasses a wide variety of people almost any approach with work for somebody.

My only fear of displaying all your weaknesses is that it may attract women that think they can fix you.

While I love women, those that think they can fix you will always try. It never ends well.
                It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Originally posted by Sava View Post
                  It's weird. I agree with your statement. However, reg's just seems totally wrong. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding him?
                  Probably you are--my point is if you want to sell yourself you have to do that and you can't spend much time talking about your downsides, I think that's something to get out of the way on date 1 or 2 after there's been some investment. Folks don't go out looking specifically for depressed people.

I think the best way to get your flaws across is to work them into the punchline of a joke.

Comment

• Fix it Felix!

Click image for larger version

Name:	vanellope_von_schweetz_and_fix_it_felix_by_demonexile0708-d5r350y.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	224.9 KB
ID:	9101477
                    I'm not conceited, conceit is a fault and I have no faults...

Civ and WoW are my crack... just one... more... turn...

Comment

Probably you are--my point is if you want to sell yourself you have to do that and you can't spend much time talking about your downsides, I think that's something to get out of the way on date 1 or 2 after there's been some investment. Folks don't go out looking specifically for depressed people.

I think the best way to get your flaws across is to work them into the punchline of a joke.
                      Gotcha. Totally agree.

My mistake.
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• This may be one of the most awkward things that has ever happened on this site. But, the father of the woman I'm currently seeing may be a member here.

He's apparently a huge Civilization nut going back to the first one.

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• You're totally dating rah's daughter, aren't you?

Comment

• If so, PREPARE TO DIE.

Where does she work? (just in case)
                            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Originally posted by Sava View Post
                              This may be one of the most awkward things that has ever happened on this site. But, the father of the woman I'm currently seeing may be a member here.

He's apparently a huge Civilization nut going back to the first one.

Oh, in that case, he's a CFC poster. NO worries .
                              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Originally posted by rah View Post
                                If so, PREPARE TO DIE.

Where does she work? (just in case)

I'm pretty sure it isn't you. Here are some personal details.

Her parents are divorced. The mom remarried. Her mom has a very successful career. She's functionally the CIO of the company she works for, setting up network infrastructure.

She has a 27 year old brother who is high functioning autistic.

They are originally from St. George's county in Maryland... or lived there for a long time.

Plus, even if it was you, we'd be the best son-in-law/father-in-law combo ever.

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                                X