No announcement yet.

Yet another damn terrorist attack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think it hardly matters who was responsible at this point. I expect the end result will be much the same whoever did it: a vigorous hardening of attitudes towards foreigners, especially refugees; a big and fairly long-lived uptick in support for hardliner crypto-Nazi parties; Europe taking a more active role in the anti-IS fight. IIUC the ultimate goal of all such terror raids is to breed further terror by deepening conflict and forcing everyone, however peaceable, to take a side in the conflict. In that respect, I expect these attacks to be astonishingly successful. In the long run, I do not believe they have any hope of achieving any strategic goal, but then I think these people have always been underpants gnomes.
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

• Today we are all French?
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• Has Dauphin posted yet?

Anyone else in Paris?
        There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dauphin View Post
          More shootings. Paris is turning into just another U.S. city.
          Thanks for posting.
          There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
            If you want to see me being terrible at communicating (at probably the best forum I have ever had) you can watch me

In my defence as an experimentalist I always give powerpoint talks and giving a blackboard talk (Even one that I had given before in powerpoint form) was a lot more difficult than I expected.

JM
            UCSB
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• Originally posted by DinoDoc View Post
              Syrians would offer a two for one deal if we're going to assume hatred is my motivation here.

An attack by a redux of the Red Brigade would offer me the opportunity to laugh at everyone who automatically assumed it was Islamic Terror though and that assumption as we've seen crosses the political aisle.
              They were shouting Allah Ackbar so they were definitely Islamic terrorists.
              Last edited by Dinner; November 14, 2015, 03:45.

Comment

• *sigh* 153 dead is the latest count, with authorities expecting the death toll to rise.
                "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

• Over 200 wounded and at least 80 of those are critical.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dinner View Post
                    They were shouting Allah Ackbar so they were definitely Islamic terrorists.
                    Originally posted by Gatekeeper View Post
                    *sigh* 153 dead is the latest count, with authorities expecting the death toll to rise.
                    People have short memories, the news I was reading headlined that 120 dead made it the deadliest attack on aWestern capital since 9/11. Madrid 2004 clean out of their memory.
                    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

• yep.
                      191 dead there and 1.800 wounded.
                      Completely changed spain's policy (it changed gov and immideately withdrew from iraq) and made us a bit concerned since we were organizing the olympics that year

Comment

• bbc are reporting at least 127 dead and 180 wounded.

ISIS officially claims responsibility (in french)
                        "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

• rather chilling message. And in impecable french

Comment

• The legacy of George W Bush lives on

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
                            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• Why are they hitting France, anyway? France is not a first anti-terrorist fighter in the world, yet they were hit twice in a row.
                              Knowledge is Power

Comment

• My personal take is that France was the only country that actually did something against terrorism in the last decade, ie they saved Mali and pushed Al Qaida out of the country.

They probably hate them the most, for Iraq, Lybia, Syria AlQ leadership probably has warm and fuzzy feelings about the US and UK role.
                                Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                                GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Working...
                                X