<marquee> new random thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sava View Post

That's good. Endurance will serve you well.

You'll need to eat some serious food if you want to gain weight. The protein will help your body repair and build muscle. I'm just guessing, but you probably have a low body fat percentage.

You can definitely benefit from strength training regardless. But going back to the whole notion of attractiveness... having a bit of muscle will certainly make women forget about the height issue.

Lifting can burn a lot of calories. It's unhealthy to not balance that out with an increase in consumption... at any performance level or weight.
    I feel like bodyweight stuff will keep me healthy enough as is, but thanks for the advice. And you are correct, my body fat is negligible. I'm 135 pounds.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
      What are your thoughts for those looking to increase fitness but not really muscle mass?
      High intensity interval training.
      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
        I feel like bodyweight stuff will keep me healthy enough as is, but thanks for the advice. And you are correct, my body fat is negligible. I'm 135 pounds.
        Yes. I would agree. I just figured I've give you my whole spiel and you could take what you want from it... if you were so inclined.

Weights are a natural fit for me. I'm very dense (as you all know) at 5'10'' 230 lbs and put on muscle easy. My sport is hockey... so in addition to needing a bit more mass, I need the leg strength.

Do you play sports at all? Or have specific activity you'd like to improve?
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• I'm thinking about getting into cross country skiing this winter, other than that no.

Comment

I'm thinking about getting into cross country skiing this winter, other than that no.
            You're currently in school, correct? Do you have access to exercise equipment? I would recommend the elliptical. You can do a variety of exercises to help improve your overall fitness level. As I told BK, high intensity interval training. Apologies if I'm telling you something you already know.

15-20 minutes max. Do 5 minutes light warm up. Go balls out for 30 seconds. Go at a slower pace for 2.5 mins. Go balls out for 30 seconds. Time it so your last 5 minutes is a light cool down.

The time goes by quick (if you have issues with doing cardio for extended periods). Do HIIT no more than 1-2 times per week, resting for at least 48 hours between sessions. It's just as hard on (lol) your muscles as strength training.

It works on your Glycolysis energy system (sprinting, essentially... but for around 30 seconds). The Phosphagen system is more a 10 second burst system that you can work, but you need to go your absolute max during that period to work it. It can be difficult to do.

Both of those systems get worked during HIIT... with Glycolysis being the main beneficiary. It trains your body to turn blood and muscle sugars into usable ATP (energy your muscles use) more efficiently. Your overall fitness level increases... including max endurance.

Maybe do a light cardio session or two (if you feel like it) during the rest of the week.

Since fat loss and muscle gains aren't a priority, you don't need much else. Body weight resistance is enough to maintain strength. If you want a little extra, maybe do some bicep curls (for the girls, as the derps say). You have a low enough body fat % to see some decent aesthetic gains from relatively little effort... and certainly, with no need for a dedicated nutritional program.

Just be sure to eat some fruits and veggies. You'll need healthy carbs or else you'll just feel fatigued.
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• We did a lot of HIIT in ROTC. I haven't kept it up since I left though. I know the routine.

Comment

• High intensity interval training.
                Ok. So I should be able to do that while swimming. I've been trying this, especially with butterfly strokes to work on upper body some. Legs are ok, but knees are not great so I've been avoiding work on the track.
                Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

I'm not a fan of mint in drinks.
                  So we're unlikely ever to share a pot of mint tea ?

Sad now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	moroccan-mint-tea-on-tray.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	9101209

It's soothing, refreshing, thirst-quenching and fragrant.
                  Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

• i was on mojito #3 within an hour of getting home from work, and didn't have the distractions i had intended. sorry if i missed you, Sava.
                    I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
                    [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

• Originally posted by self biased View Post
                      i was on mojito #3 within an hour of getting home from work, and didn't have the distractions i had intended. sorry if i missed you, Sava.
                      it's cool, i was talking with a new friend for most of the night
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

We did a lot of HIIT in ROTC. I haven't kept it up since I left though. I know the routine.
                        Then I got nothin' for you.
                        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

it's cool, i was talking with a new friend for most of the night
                          good for you.
                          I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
                          [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

• GOOOOOD FOOOOR YOOOOOOOOU
                            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• HODOR.
                              Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                              I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                              Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

BUT HIS IS A HOAX BECAUSE I"M PLAYING AN INTERNET PERSONALITY AND IN NO WAY PARTICIPATE IN ANY CRIMINAL ACTIVITIES
                                Best on-going web comedy series ever*!

*On Apolyton, that I can remember, that is regularly updated, by you.
                                Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

Working...
                                X