Google Hiring More People Who Didn't Go To College

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Hiring More People Who Didn't Go To College

After years of looking at the data, Google has found that things like college GPAs and transcripts are almost worthless in hiring. Following these revelations, the company is hiring more and more people who never even went to college.

In an interview with The New York Times, Google's Senior Vice President for People Operations Laszlo Bock revealed that the number of degree-less hires has trended upwards as they've stopped asking for transcripts for everybody but the most recent graduates.

"What’s interesting is the proportion of people without any college education at Google has increased over time as well," Bock said. "So we have teams where you have 14 percent of the team made up of people who’ve never gone to college."

Bock's critique of higher education goes beyond debunking the GPA as a hiring metric. He says the academic setting is an artificial place where people are highly trained to succeed only in a specific environment.

"One of my own frustrations when I was in college and grad school is that you knew the professor was looking for a specific answer," Bock says. "You could figure that out, but it’s much more interesting to solve problems where there isn’t an obvious answer. You want people who like figuring out stuff where there is no obvious answer."

After two or three years, performance at college is "completely unrelated" to performance at Google, because the skills you learn are so different and you change so much, Bock says.

Of course, most of Google's hires are still college graduates.

After all, college is still the surest way of learning advanced engineering and other stuff that gets you a job at Google. A college degree still provides some guarantee of intelligence and commitment. And at the end of the day, people with a college degree are far more highly employed and make more money than those who don't graduate.

Google has found that a GPA is worthless and is hiring more people who do not have a college degrees.

And in a single moment, underachieving nerds everywhere exclaimed:

To us, it is the BEAST.

Google has to be wrong about this.
    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

After years of looking at the data, Google has found that things like college GPAs and transcripts are almost worthless in hiring.

In an interview with The New York Times, Google's Senior Vice President for People Operations Laszlo Bock revealed that the number of degree-less hires has trended upwards as they've stopped asking for transcripts for everybody but the most recent graduates.

"One of my own frustrations when I was in college and grad school is that you knew the professor was looking for a specific answer," Bock says.

From this we can conclude that Bock's own degree is useless, that he may have been a terrible hire, and that his conclusion that degrees are worthless has no merit.
      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Wow. Looks like Sava might get a real job someday.
        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

If anyone needed proof that a degree is no guarantee of competency, I think the poster above me provides living evidence.

Comment

If anyone needed proof that a degree is no guarantee of competency, I think the poster above me provides living evidence.
            And yet I still have more education than Kentonio. I thought Europeans believed school was important!
            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

No, you really don't.

Comment

How is college even necessary when you can find pretty much any information you need by Googling it? College is only useful for people who can't learn independently and need to have their hand held and be guided through the process.

Comment

In my educational adventures, I've discovered that there's a difference between learning about something and learning something itself. Learning about a particular subject is easy, but it doesn't necessarily teach you how to actually do the material of the subject. So, for example, when I taught myself calculus two years ago, I didn't really learn it until I watched a series of video lectures on the subject and did the exercises that came with them. You don't learn unless you practice. You can learn without college (obviously, as I did), but it's very heard to learn without any kind of structure. Generally, the internet is pretty lousy about providing structure.
                  Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                  "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by kentonio View Post
                    "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

What are these degree-less people doing? Google employs people with different skillsets, after all. Also, not having a degree can mean vastly different things. Someone might not have a degree but founded a successful tech startup that he sold, could have retired from the military as senior enlisted without having gone to college, etc. Some of these degrees-less might have decades of work experience which easily outstrips a diploma
                      "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

I'm a programmer, and my current boss doesn't have a college degree (though I think he's the only programmer at the company that doesn't)
                        <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Originally posted by Sava View Post
                          http://www.businessinsider.com/googl...aduates-2013-6

And in a single moment, underachieving nerds everywhere exclaimed:

Makes me happy
                          "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                          'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

How is college even necessary when you can find pretty much any information you need by Googling it?
                            Maybe Gribbler and Kentonio can found the axis of ignorance!

Comment

You can google and learn things yourself if you already know what you're looking for. A lot of the value of a college course is revealing the unknown unknowns--things you don't know, and didn't even know you were supposed to know. At least for Computer Science.

You can learn to program without a CS degree, but I've found that most of the time your code will be complete **** and not follow any modicum of good practice. In the end, the code is completely unmaintainable and ends up needing to be scrapped if it ever sees production. There are exceptions of course.
                              If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                              ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Working...
                              X