The Mystery of Fashion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Mystery of Fashion

So, my kid went in for dental surgery today. Nothing super-drastic, but since he's two he needed anesthesia. Of course I brought along something to read in the waiting room: the Persian epic Shahnameh (the Book of Kings), composed by the great poet Ferdowsi. Except I got up at 4:30 this morning, and the wife was going crazy with worry next to me. So instead we picked up a Glamour from the table and passed a happy forty-five minutes mocking the models together.

Who comes up with the crap that passes for fashion? About half those women had "tousled" hairdos that reminded me of There's Something About Mary. And half were got up in this bizarre mishmash of clothes that didn't go together at all, accented by equally unfortunate heaps of gold jewelry. With considerable overlap between the halves. One was wearing what looked like a bellhop's jacket over a skimpy tube top, with about three pounds of tacky bling. The combined effect was something like "crack whore dressed in random stuff she got from the donations box at the Beverly Hills homeless shelter." Except, according to the captions, these outfits were outrageously expensive, some of them totaling several thousand.

Does anybody happen to know what the point of all this is? The getups are spectacularly ugly--I assume gay fashion designers are to blame. They look too uncomfortable for women to inflict on their own sex, and men who find women attractive wouldn't go to such lengths to make them look ugly. And they're way too pricey for your average magazine reader to actually wear, even if she's sniffed enough glue to make them look good.

Anyway, we were interrupted by the dental surgeon, who came out to tell us the surgery went fine, and noticed the Shahnameh lying closed on my lap. He was Persian, so he was very pleased to see it, and very gracious about the fact that I'd been neglecting his culture's masterpiece in favor of bad-fashion smut. The End.
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Fashion is stupid and often borders on frank misogyny.
    "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

I try to give fashion designers the benefit of the doubt by thinking that the stuff you see in magazines and on the runway is really just a type of art, not stuff you're actually supposed to wear. It's not a type of art I appreciate or understand, however; My fashion begins and ends at Target.
      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Fashion is stupid, dress sticks in them.

ACK!
        Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

High fashion is ugly and stupid, but if you think the stuff young women are wearing out and about when it's sunny oh, right about now isn't fantastic then you are as gay as the men who designed those awful dresses.

Actually, I would probably think differently if I had a 16-year-old daughter, nonetheless.

Comment

Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
            Fashion is stupid and often borders on frank misogyny.
            I don't agree with the latter for the simple fact that men's tastes are actually pretty ****ing simple, and fashion is ridiculously complicated. I doubt men are to blame.
            If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
            ){ :|:& };:

Comment

We need more accessible fashion and better fashion education. The crap people wear outside of their homes today is shameful. Stretch pants and a t-shirt are not "going out" clothes. They are "give up on life" clothes.
              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
                High fashion is ugly and stupid, but if you think the stuff young women are wearing out and about when it's sunny oh, right about now isn't fantastic then you are as gay as the men who designed those awful dresses.

Actually, I would probably think differently if I had a 16-year-old daughter, nonetheless.
                WTF? Why even say that?
                “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

We all know you don't understand fashion, Elok, Lori, and HC. We saw the pictures.
                  "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                  "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

It's kind of sad that they get their jollies mocking an industry they neither understand or appreciate.
                    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                      We all know you don't understand fashion, Elok, Lori, and HC. We saw the pictures.
                      Pictures? I presume they're on your harddrive?
                      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                        Pictures? I presume they're on your harddrive?
                        Indexed and cross-referenced, I presume.
                        Graffiti in a public toilet
                        Do not require skill or wit
                        Among the **** we all are poets
                        Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

He's seen our Polymeet pictures, when I'm pretty sure none of us were trying. Aside from that, I don't know.

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                          We all know you'd have liked to be one of those fashion designers. TIME TO BREAK OUT THE SHORTS!
                          1011 1100
                          Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

I sort of vaguely recall Al posting a picture of himself in an ugly pink shirt and boat shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
                              He's seen our Polymeet pictures, when I'm pretty sure none of us were trying. Aside from that, I don't know.
                              To be fair, I'm almost never trying. I probably wore the same thing to the Polymeet that I'm wearing at work today. At my friend's wedding in January, I meant to dress up but discovered half an hour before the wedding that the dress pants I'd brought along had a broken zipper that couldn't easily be fixed. I wore jeans.

Comment

Working...
                              X