The Mystery of Fashion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

some of us like to go outside.
    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

There are no advertisements in the woods (yet).
      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Men were once fashion 'victims' (and some still are of course) :

Who wants to flaunt their liripipe ?

Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot_2011-12-17_at_6.29.54_pm1324164346876.png
Views:	1
Size:	424.8 KB
ID:	9100851

Or fish out their codpiece ?

Name:	Chestburster%u00252BCodpiece.jpg
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	9100852

Is Victoria giving Albert's tight trousers a piercing look ?

Name:	AlbertVictoria.jpg
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	9100853

Don't step on my blue suede poulaines !

Name:	poulaines_shoe1__05800_zoom.jpg
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	9100854

This is the modern world :

Name:	011011-bowie02.jpg
Size:	237.5 KB
ID:	9100855
        Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

In any case, freedom of speech protects advertisers and their right to post their messages where they want to, if they've paid for the space.

Banksy is against free speech. Not surprising for someone who also doesn't respect property rights.

Comment

Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
            In any case, freedom of speech protects advertisers and their right to post their messages where they want to, if they've paid for the space.
            No. Sorry. It doesn't.

Advertising Is Protected by the First Amendment - Learn about Advertising and the First Amendment.

At least... not the way you think it does.

I'll quote relevant information because I have zero faith in your critical thinking and reading comprehension skills.

In Central Hudson, the Supreme Court set out the important four-part test for assessing government restrictions on commercial speech:

"[First] . . . [the commercial speech] at least must concern lawful activity and not be misleading. Next, we ask whether the asserted governmental interest is substantial. If both inquiries yield positive answers, we must determine whether the regulation directly advances the governmental interest asserted, and whether it is not more extensive than is necessary to serve that interest."

This four-part analysis endured to this day as the constitutional benchmark in commercial speech cases.
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

...that article says it does, in the way I think it does. c0ckney is not complaining about false advertising, he's complaining about the presence of advertising in general, as is Banksy.

Comment

...that article says it does, in the way I think it does.
                Then maybe you need better writing skills? Because the things you say directly contradict reality.

c0ckney is not complaining about false advertising, he's complaining about the presence of advertising in general, as is Banksy.
                I don't care about what c0ckney says.
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Banksy is against free speech. Not surprising for someone who also doesn't respect property rights.
                  There are no rights.
                  Graffiti in a public toilet
                  Do not require skill or wit
                  Among the **** we all are poets
                  Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava View Post
                    It should be okay if you have a giant rooster on your sign.
                    Sriracha Sauce
                    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
                      Sriracha Sauce
                      hipster ketchup
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                        I try to give fashion designers the benefit of the doubt by thinking that the stuff you see in magazines and on the runway is really just a type of art, not stuff you're actually supposed to wear. It's not a type of art I appreciate or understand, however; My fashion begins and ends at Target.
                        Reminds me of that monologue in the "Devil Wears Prada" by Merryl Streep's character - what people are wearing today, the colors, styles, etc, come from fashion shows a few years prior to it. It's not a direct analogue, obviously, because fashion shows are designed to get people to notice certain colors or styles in an exaggerated way, but it does filter down over time.
                        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

The thing is, I simply don't care enough about fashion to bother. Yes, what's hip in the fashion industry will filter down to Target at some point, at which point I'll be wearing that--not because I like it, not because I'm trying to show off how much I don't care about fashion, but because it's an easy choice that requires essentially no effort on my part.
                          Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Imran watched The Devil Wears Prada.
                            No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by molly bloom View Post
                              Blame the homos. Typical.
                              Fine, I'll blame the Irish part of you instead. Lousy woman-hating micks and their crazy clothing ideas.

Better? If not, I can branch out to white people in general, it's always okay to blame the cracker.
                              1011 1100
                              Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by C0ckney View Post
                                People are taking the piss out of you everyday. They butt into your life, take a cheap shot at you and then disappear. They leer at you from tall buildings and make you feel small. They make flippant comments from buses that imply you’re not sexy enough and that all the fun is happening somewhere else. They are on TV making your girlfriend feel inadequate. They have access to the most sophisticated technology the world has ever seen and they bully you with it. They are The Advertisers and they are laughing at you.

You, however, are forbidden to touch them. Trademarks, intellectual property rights and copyright law mean advertisers can say what they like wherever they like with total impunity.

**** that. Any advert in a public space that gives you no choice whether you see it or not is yours. It’s yours to take, re-arrange and re-use. You can do whatever you like with it. Asking for permission is like asking to keep a rock someone just threw at your head.

You owe the companies nothing. Less than nothing, you especially don’t owe them any courtesy. They owe you. They have re-arranged the world to put themselves in front of you. They never asked for your permission, don’t even start asking for theirs.

- Banksy
                                My god, it's like he was writing about me.
                                “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                                "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Working...
                                X