No announcement yet.

Number one Chicken in America!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It only protects them from competing with people who are too lazy to get certified. That does benefit them in some small way although it's not a "tax". A "union tax" would be something along the lines of mandatory union dues.

Comment

• It only protects them from competing with people who are too lazy to get certified.
      Given that fellow teachers control the certifying board, yes, it's a tariff that is used to protect the jobs of unionized teachers in public schools.

That does benefit them in some small way although it's not a "tax". A "union tax" would be something along the lines of mandatory union dues.
      Insofar as it is a requirement and there's no substantial difference between teaching in an accredited private vs public school, yes it is a form of mandatory union dues. How does the state benefit when the better teachers go private? The state would be better served by eliminating the requirement (and eliminating teacher tenure). Thus, it could fire incompetent teachers and hire competent ones.
      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• 1. They're not "union dues" since money is not being taken from teachers and put into the hands of unions. It's not a "tariff" because it doesn't raise revenue. You're trying to redefine words for no apparent reason.
        2. You're assuming the "better teachers" are too lazy to get a certification.

Comment

• Certification is a barrier to entry, not a tariff or a union due or whatever. It's still anti-competitive but for a different reason.

Comment

• Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
            Certification is a barrier to entry, not a tariff or a union due or whatever. It's still anti-competitive but for a different reason.
            Reg, anything that keeps Ben as isolated as possible is a net good for society. Get it straight.
            "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
            'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

• 1. They're not "union dues" since money is not being taken from teachers and put into the hands of unions. It's not a "tariff" because it doesn't raise revenue. You're trying to redefine words for no apparent reason.
              The money goes to fund unions, so yes, it's a union tax.

2. You're assuming the "better teachers" are too lazy to get a certification.
              Lazy teachers don't want to work in an environment where they can be fired anytime, as opposed to an environment where they can work three years and be tenured.
              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

• Reg, anything that keeps Ben as isolated as possible is a net good for society. Get it straight.
                Right. Keeping me out of public schools is a real detriment to me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pax View Post
                  I made no statement or assumption about work force size. No matter how many people are working at KFC/CFA, the hours of operation remain the same. The instore and drive thru traffic are variable.
                  Your statement that my analysis is BS has not one supporting sentence to go with it.
                  If your point was just that the profits of the two companies as a whole are not comparable due to differing operating hours berthas leading KFC to be more profitable per hour operating you would have been fine. You ****ed up when you harped on about how CFA employees get less time with their families due to morning operating hours throughout the week adding up to more time than they get off on Sunday. There is no way to prove that without knowing the workforce numbers so your analysis is pure unqualified speculation. Also known as BS.

So either you are prideful ass who just doubled down knowing you are wrong or you suck at math. Either way you analysis remains BS.
                  "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

• Even when taking his numbers into account, they still don't account for the 20 percent difference in profit. KFC is clearly overbuilt if they have 4,500 locations and are getting their butts kicked by a company a third the size.

Comment

• In terms of business models, this is an apples-and-oranges comparison.

Like most fast food chains, KFC is in the business of selling franchises and collecting fees. Obviously, they have been very successful, going back to the 1960s. They have been less than stellar at keeping the brand fresh and relevant, but it's a mature operation. The corporation owns relatively few locations.

CfA, on the other hand, retains ownership of all its locations; its franchisees are operators, not owners. It's an unconventional (and arguably more sustainable) approach, requiring slower, more controlled growth. Corporate earns far less in franchise fees but gets a much bigger part of the profits.

FYI, a Chick-fil-A franchise goes for $5,000 (get in line) while a decent McDonalds location typically costs about $2 million.

FYI2, Chick-fil-A took the lead in per-franchise sales (#2 is McDonalds) back in 2010, two years before the whole controversy over COO Dan Cathy's statements opposing gay marriage.
                      Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                      RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Originally posted by Patroklos View Post
                        If your point was just that the profits of the two companies as a whole are not comparable due to differing operating hours berthas leading KFC to be more profitable per hour operating you would have been fine. You ****ed up when you harped on about how CFA employees get less time with their families due to morning operating hours throughout the week adding up to more time than they get off on Sunday. There is no way to prove that without knowing the workforce numbers so your analysis is pure unqualified speculation. Also known as BS.

So either you are prideful ass who just doubled down knowing you are wrong or you suck at math. Either way you analysis remains BS.
                        I can admit when I'm wrong. This is just a conversation about something I have a LITTLE interest in, there is no gain or loss of pride involved for me. I do suck at math. However, I stated that it was POSSIBLE because of the longer hours of operation that a person at CFA could have a longer work day than a person at KFC. Basic Math. I never said that it was a fact, I said it was a possibility.
                        What can make a nigga wanna fight a whole night club/Figure that he ought to maybe be a pimp simply 'cause he don't like love/What can make a nigga wanna achy, break all rules/In a book when it took a lot to get you hooked up to this volume/
                        What can make a nigga wanna loose all faith in/Anything that he can't feel through his chest wit sensation

Comment

• Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
                          Certification is a barrier to entry, not a tariff or a union due or whatever. It's still anti-competitive but for a different reason.
                          Only... it's not. It increases competition. Moron.
                          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                            Because the teacher's union lobbied for it?
                            So the state legislature of Texas crumbled before the threat of the mighty Texan teacher's union ?

When did you join the staff of 'Surrealism Today', Sister Bendy ?
                            Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                              Unions are a prominent force in politics even here in Texas.
                              Perhaps then you could give us the date when this 'union tax' was brought in, the name of the teacher's union leader who successfully cowed the state into adopting said 'tax' and who the Governor was at the time ?

I think these would all be intersting to see and would help support your, well I was going to say argument, but possibly 'bout of fanciful wishful thinking' would be a kind euphemism, and more accurate.
                              Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

• Originally posted by Pax View Post
                                I can admit when I'm wrong.
                                Then what the hell are you doing on Poly??
                                Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                                RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Working...
                                X