Dying and death

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dying and death

So while I'm not on a verge of dying or death, I have had 3 scary experiences in the past 8 months involving passing out and having no recollection of it really. Apparently low blood pressure is not to be trifled with.

This has led to a lot of thought about what happens when we die or are in the process of dying. I'm afraid this is the end but I can't rationalize an afterlife - what it would feel like, look like, be like, why would I be there. I've probably got a good 40 years left in me but with this passing out (and each time ive done it i've fallen. HARD) it just makes me scared about not knowing. How do you olds deal with the spectre of death?
    "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
    'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

You really should stop indulging in Auto asphyxiation.
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Drugs
      John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
        You really should stop indulging in Auto asphyxiation.
        The heart wants...
        'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

I had a similar ailment. The doc prescribed a drug for it that alleviated the problem until a combination of more fluids, a better diet and more exercise resolved it.
          I wouldn't pass out but was on the verge of it almost every time I stood up. It was scary as hell.

Death will come to all of us. For some like me, it's not that far off.

I figure you can do one of a few things.
          Get religious and convince yourself that this isn't all there is.

Or you can just come to terms with it and enjoy every day that you get.

Each day is a bonus.

As our body fails and we feel the pain, think of the alternative. The pain doesn't seem that bad then.
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Don't worry. One of these times you'll pass out and your brain will trick you into believing it's a religious experience, thereby resolving the question of what comes next.
            Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
              Don't worry. One of these times you'll pass out and your brain will trick you into believing it's a religious experience, thereby resolving the question of what comes next.
              Provided I can remember it

Comment

I'll be dead...what will I care? It is not BEING dead that scares me...it is DYING.

Like rah says...every day is a bonus. I would only modify that by saying that every healthy day is a bonus. The ones when death is very near will probably suck.
                "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Originally posted by PLATO View Post
                  I'll be dead...what will I care? It is not BEING dead that scares me...it is DYING.

Like rah says...every day is a bonus. I would only modify that by saying that every healthy day is a bonus. The ones when death is very near will probably suck.
                  I guess its more an issue of not being ready to not care.

Comment

Originally posted by MRT144 View Post
                    I guess its more an issue of not being ready to not care.
                    But what choice do you have? It is inevitable. When you die you will either be in an afterlife or totally cease to exist (depending on what your beliefs are and if they are correct or not). So why worry about it?

It is far more important to worry about what you are going to do today. Are you going to live it to the fullest or worry about the inevitable? My vote is live it to the fullest and let your day of death worry about itself.
                    "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

drink more water

you'll be okay

or you won't
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

It is far more important to worry about what you are going to do today. Are you going to live it to the fullest or worry about the inevitable? My vote is live it to the fullest and let your day of death worry about itself.
                        I think the older you are, the more you'll come to agree with this statement.
                        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

If there is no afterlife and we cease to exist, it is hard to imagine because, really, we won't even be there to experience not being there. It's not the same as considering the time from before we were born, because we here to note that, and to also note that our memories fade into fog long before we reach our own beginings. At our end there will be no fog. There will be no us.

I once said, in reference to binge drinking, "if you don't remember it, can you really say you were having fun?"

The same mostly applies here.
                          No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

You know what would suck? If we all were just one consciousness and used existence as a means to pass the time. But then when each one of us dies, we're left omnipotent yet maddeningly alone.
                            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

But what choice do you have? It is inevitable. When you die you will either be in an afterlife or totally cease to exist (depending on what your beliefs are and if they are correct or not). So why worry about it?

What if living life to the fullest is the incorrect answer for getting into the correct afterlife?
                              Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                              "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Working...
                              X