Dying and death

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm a stranger in this land. For me, death is gain
    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
      Interesting indeed, TMM.
      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

This is all we get. Make the most of every day. They are not infinite. Personally, I'd rather not live forever. I would get too tired of the BS and the memories of the past.
        We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

I'm 45 and not tired of life at all. I suppose if I weren't healthy it would be different.

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious View Post

Was touched by God once, now I have no fear of death. Dying is another matter, wait and see how that goes.

Its like a door you have to go through, a solid oak door. You approach the door and pick a number out of a hat to determine how many times you will have to beat your head on the door to get through. Could be zero, come on in! Could be a lot. Whatever it says that's what you will do.

Some pass quietly in their sleep. Some suffer terribly.

Everyone goes through the door.
            Last edited by Lancer; April 3, 2014, 03:36.
            Long time member @ Apolyton
            Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Originally posted by MRT144 View Post
              So while I'm not on a verge of dying or death, I have had 3 scary experiences in the past 8 months involving passing out and having no recollection of it really. Apparently low blood pressure is not to be trifled with.

This has led to a lot of thought about what happens when we die or are in the process of dying. I'm afraid this is the end but I can't rationalize an afterlife - what it would feel like, look like, be like, why would I be there. I've probably got a good 40 years left in me but with this passing out (and each time ive done it i've fallen. HARD) it just makes me scared about not knowing. How do you olds deal with the spectre of death?
              I ceased to care about what a lot of other people think- of what I like, do, wear or say. It's refreshing. I don't watch things such as 'X Factor'- you can feel your life ebbing away as that moronic inferno drags you down.

You really should stop indulging in Auto asphyxiation.
              Sister Bendy

Shouldn't you have started ?
              Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

On scout camping trips we'd sing this song:

Oh, plant a watermelon vine upon my grave and let the juice ... ssssssiiiippp ... sip through.
                Oh, plant a watermelon vine upon my grave that's all I ask of you
                Oh, momma makes chicken dumplins oh so fine,
                but I can eat watermelon any old time.
                So plant a waterlemon vine upon my grave and let the juice ... sssssiiippp ... sip through.

Comment

Maybe you should PM Pekka for another perspective.
                  “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Originally posted by pchang View Post
                    Maybe you should PM Pekka for another perspective.
                    I'm thinking about it.
                    "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                    'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Pekka is a breath of fresh air and truly is super citizen.
                      'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Life - certainty
                          Death - certainty
                          Deity - certainly
                          Some form of afterlife - possible
                          What exactly - ???

Ultimately whether there is an afterlife or not, this is the life you are living, so live it well and don't worry about what comes after, if you can help it - worry about stuff which is important to you here.

Even if you carry something over ( memory/form/else? ), and this current life is some "real" start towards something else, does it matter what the afterlife is? As when you die, casualty is broken and whatever comes after - should not directly matter to you here, what matters is how you live during those 80 years or so that you have, right here, right now.

If you need some sort of existing theory, pick the religion of choice whichever feels right, and roll with it.
                          Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                          GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
                            Why are you still here? Do you need help figuring out how to get yourself killed?

Comment

Originally posted by AAAAAAAAH! View Post
                              Why are you still here? Do you need help figuring out how to get yourself killed?
                              I have to surrender to God, then it's his call.

Comment

Originally posted by OneFootInTheGrave View Post
                                Life - certainty
                                Death - certainty
                                Deity - certainly
                                Some form of afterlife - possible
                                What exactly - ???

Ultimately whether there is an afterlife or not, this is the life you are living, so live it well and don't worry about what comes after, if you can help it - worry about stuff which is important to you here.

Even if you carry something over ( memory/form/else? ), and this current life is some "real" start towards something else, does it matter what the afterlife is? As when you die, casualty is broken and whatever comes after - should not directly matter to you here, what matters is how you live during those 80 years or so that you have, right here, right now.

If you need some sort of existing theory, pick the religion of choice whichever feels right, and roll with it.
                                Hilariously enough, my wife has started to develop a new philosophy on death and the afterlife tailored around those fleeting moments of consciousness and what happens afterwards. Its fun and comforting

Comment

Working...
                                X