No announcement yet.

Who was the greatest American ever?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How about James Madison. Secretary of State who purchased the Louisiana Territory, 4th US President and one of the principal agents behind getting the Bill of Rights added. He'd have been even better if he hadn't let the Red Coats burn the White House.

Comment

Any list that has GWB in the top 10 is suspect.
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I'll toss in Mark Twain, the literary legacy of the USA is unique. He would certainly be high in the most loved category.

A controversial one would be Muhammad Ali - not so popular in the USA but on the same level as Pele in global esteem. His name is known in the most remote village anywhere in the world. He somehow gave hope to the little guy.
        Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Charlie Chaplin.

Yeah, I know he wasn't an american citizen, and no, it isn't because of his movies.
          With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Many worthy candidates... Ben Franklin was great. So was Eleanor Roosevelt. But in the end, I think Martin Luther King, for all his flaws, must be on top.
            Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
            I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
            Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse View Post
              I'll toss in Mark Twain, the literary legacy of the USA is unique. He would certainly be high in the most loved category.
              Mark Twain Defends Small Penises

In 1902 Twain was invited to attend a yachting party with millionaire
              Henry Rogers and other high-rollers who called themselves "The Mammoth
              Cod". Twain couldn't make it, but sent the following...

Thank you for inviting me. Along with my regrets I send you
              this poem that I wrote for the instruction of children. It is
              intended for Sunday Schools and when sung by hundreds of sweet,
              guileless children, it produces a very pretty effect.

I.
              I thank Thee for the Bull, O God!
              Whene'er a steak I eat
              The working of his Mammoth Cod
              Is what gives us our meat

II.
              And for the ram a word of praise!
              He with his Mammoth Cod
              Foundation of our mutton lays
              With every vigorous prod

III.
              And then the Boar, who at his work
              His hind hoofs fixed in sod.
              Contented packs the Embryo Pork
              All with his Mammoth Cod

IV.
              Of beasts, man is the only one
              Created by our God,
              Who purposely and for mere fun
              Plays with his Mammoth Cod!

I object to your society for several reasons, but primarily
              because I fail to see any special merit in penises of more
              than usual size. What more can they achieve than the small
              ones?

Yours, Mark Twain
              The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

That's pretty convincing. I'll go with Twain.
                Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Any list that has GWB in the top 10 is suspect.
                  So says the 'Republican.'
                  Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                  "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                  2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by H Tower View Post
                    How about James Madison. Secretary of State who purchased the Louisiana Territory, 4th US President and one of the principal agents behind getting the Bill of Rights added. He'd have been even better if he hadn't let the Red Coats burn the White House.
                    My first thought was "whoever bought Louisiana would be a contender".

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                      So says the 'Republican.'
                      What's your point? Or are you one of those loones that just because they belong to a party must march in goose step and support anybody else that claims the same label?
                      There are good republicans and bad ones. I like to judge people individually instead of making a judgment based on the group they belong too. And I don't consider GWB one of the great ones. Do you?
                      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

hes among the 5 worst

Comment

Vespucci may not be the greatest American, but he got damned good naming rights.
                          One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

In my opinion Ben Franklin.

Comment

George Rodgers Clark, who single handedly expanded the borders of the nascent American nation from the Appalachain mountains to the Mississippi river.
                              "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Larry Flint.
                                There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

Working...
                                X