Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A younger me would be throwing a brick right now...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is the lowest you can pay in the center of a very rich NYC suburb to get a nice 2br apt.

For comparison, a 4br house outside the town center would go for 800k-1MM. Mortgage would be ~3500-4000 and property taxes + insurance would be another 500-1000 a month. Mortgage would be (partly) tax deductible, so bring it down to a total of 3500-4000.

Also, it should be noted that my rent is only a very small fraction (mid single digit percentage) of my income. I could economize further, but would have to sacrifice pretty concrete utility in terms of space (share a br with my kid) or commuting distance (fairly bad tradeoff, given that I value my time at >100 an hour).
    Last edited by KrazyHorse; November 14, 2013, 08:16.
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
      lulz 6 figure = hoighty toity. Do you still live in a world where 100k family income is anything more than middle class?

Also, I choose to save my money rather than spend it on silly ****. My rent is less than 2500 a month.
      You stated in another thread that if the cap on FICA was lifted it would put you in a 55% tax bracket. That indicates that (1) you're self-employed, (2) your income is way, way, way above $100 K per year.
      "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

My rent is < 600/mo. But I only have a 5 figure job. And I have to park on the street.
        Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove View Post
          You stated in another thread that if the cap on FICA was lifted it would put you in a 55% tax bracket. That indicates that (1) you're self-employed, (2) your income is way, way, way above $100 K per year.
          According to the post above ~5% ("mid single digit percent") of his salary is 2500 a month, which puts him ~ $600k.
          Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
          Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
          We've got both kinds

Comment

AKA slightly less than Mrs KrazyHorse.
            Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
            We've got both kinds

Comment

Base or total ?
              "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

BTW glassdoor gives average salary for his role at his company as $118k (82-320 range) + $45k (20-110 range) bonus, and they only have 13 datapoints.

I AM LIKE ALBY THE INTERNET STALKER
                We've got both kinds

Comment

Maybe he's blackmailing them.
                  "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Oh no wait, that's a more junior role than his. So anyway, more than that.
                    We've got both kinds

Comment

Average $374k range 175k to 576k. Love Glassdoor.
                      We've got both kinds

Comment

And people wonder why Canadians leave for the US
                        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Probably similar reasons as Americans who move to Canada.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH View Post
                            According to the post above ~5% ("mid single digit percent") of his salary is 2500 a month, which puts him ~ $600k.
                            Or maybe he's counting whole household income. That seems some what more plausible.
                            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Probably similar reasons as Americans who move to Canada.
                              He was in Quebec, I guarantee you he wouldn't be making that there.
                              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                              2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Quebec doesn't have an equivalent of Goldman Sachs? Quelle surprise. Or whatever it the French word for surprise is.

Comment

Working...
                                X