Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should witch craft, faith healing, crop circles, chakra, crystal healing, and fortune telling be taught in science classes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They were at least learn the basics then.

If they aren't going to go to college, I'm not sure that anthropology or sociology class will be of more use than a 2nd world history one.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I am thinking less history and more philosophy.

JM
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Philosophy is a waste. Learn the basics, that's fine. But what was mind blowing in ancient Greece is pretty much "duh" nowadays.
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I don't mean history of philosophy.

I mean religion, and the philosophies which are discussed now (randism/utilitarianism/empircism, etc).

JM
          Jon Miller-
          I AM.CANADIAN
          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I don't think that people need to know when Muhammed lived and what the history of the crusades were.

Although that would be good.

I think that they need to know what Islam is and basically what beliefs it has. Which does include a bit about its history, but is not primarily history.

JM
            Jon Miller-
            I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

You guys don't have any idea how bored high school students would be in a world religion class. Most adults don't even give a **** about other people's religions, and that includes people on this site. And that's the right attitude because other people's beliefs are, in fact, boring.
              I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
              - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

school sucks
                it doesn't matter what you teach
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava View Post
                  school sucks
                  it doesn't matter what you teach
                  Yeah, but a religion class would be especially boring. History is the most boring class, and it's the class that is most like what a religion class would be. But at least with History you can try to make it interesting for kids.

Comment

I enjoyed my world religions class in high school. It was one of the more interesting ones.
                    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
                      Yeah, but a religion class would be especially boring. History is the most boring class, and it's the class that is most like what a religion class would be. But at least with History you can try to make it interesting for kids.
                      I find it hard to quantify the suckitude of specific subjects

while I don't mind saying one is especially sucky, it implies that other subjects aren't as sucky

they are all on a level of suck
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Most students do think certain classes suck less, like science or any kind of hands on class. They also like classes that relate to their lives.

Comment

I'm attacking the notion of teaching Christian creationism as science. I'm not attacking Christianity itself.
                          Oh right. The thread starts off as a critique of hippy dippy bull**** and then segues into the usual attack on Christian fundies.
                          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                          2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Well, seeing as I'm the history teacher, everything that you folks are saying would be boring isn't so. I teach all this stuff in my class.

I find that students are challenged to explain why we have a 7 day week and a 365 day year.

You say religion and 'comparative religion is unimportant in your life? Then why do you celebrate Woden today?

I spend a class on the medieval explanation - 7 visible heavenly bodies, 7 days of the week. Explain what a 'planet' means and it's significance to the ancients. Most find it fascinating to learn that something so mundane as the days of the week comes from Roman and pagan structures of the world.

I think it is important for a Christian to understand how christianity is different from other religions. You can't understand your own faith well if you believe that there aren't alternatives.
                            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

If your students find the 365 day year challenging to explain they might be mentally challenged.

Comment

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
                                My original comment questioned the usefulness of required courses in general. If you are not interested in explaining why you are generally in favor of forcing high school students to learn about things that do not interest them, the effectiveness of doing so be damned, then I don't see why you responded to my comment.
                                Pd. 1 Pursuit and stimulation of female genitals
                                Pd. 2 Advanced FPS strategy
                                Lunch
                                Pd. 3 Covert acquisition of controlled substances
                                Pd. 4 Gym
                                1011 1100
                                Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Working...
                                X