No announcement yet.

We need an armed guard on every firetruck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Except all three have pretty liberal laws as far as world standards go.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

do we have the blood of people killed by drunk drivers on our hands?

and if we cleanse ourselves of that blood, will we then have the blood of people killed by Prohibition on our hands?

I'd like far fewer guns around, but peaceful means for achieving that goal are preferable to another "war" that'll likely kill far more people

Comment

Originally posted by Dinner View Post
        Except all three have pretty liberal laws as far as world standards go.
        All of them have laws more strict than New Zealand's or Canada's.

Comment

Mexico, Brazil and South Africa? Why are you comparing the United States with third world countries?

Comment

Why does that matter? Do you have a coherent reason why gun control in Brazil would operate differently?

Take note also of the Czech Republic which has pretty weak gun laws and not a ton of crime. In fact, the gun laws in the Czech Republic are generally weaker than those I deal with in Rochester.

Comment

Why should we expect countries with far fewer resources available for enforcing laws to achieve the same results from the same laws?

Comment

Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
                Why does that matter? Do you have a coherent reason why gun control in Brazil would operate differently?
                There's a correlation between income and homicide. The exception is Asia. Culture is a big factor, but you need to look within the US. Within the US, states with more guns have more homicides (controlling for poverty and urbanization).

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/research...ath/index.html
                Last edited by Kidlicious; December 25, 2012, 07:19.
                I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
                  Mexico, Brazil and South Africa? Why are you comparing the United States with third world countries?
                  South Africa's not really a Third World country is it? I thought it's fairly well economically developed.
                  A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Depends on who you are/where you live.

JM
                    Jon Miller-
                    I AM.CANADIAN
                    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Some places are just starting to get electricity...

JM
                      Jon Miller-
                      I AM.CANADIAN
                      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
                        Some places are just starting to get electricity...

JM
                        Those aren't the places with the high crime. That's places like Johannesburg.

Anyway Brazil is a pretty well-developed country, if not super wealthy, especially in cities like Sao Paulo.

Comment

Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
                          Those aren't the places with the high crime. That's places like Johannesburg.

Anyway Brazil is a pretty well-developed country, if not super wealthy, especially in cities like Sao Paulo.
                          Please, enlighten us with your knowledge of places where you have never been.
                          "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                            No, you are the spammer, moron. You are the one that started the thread despite the entire topic being done to death. You don't get to claim someone disrupting your USA sucks masturbation circle is spamming.
                            There is not a thread on the firetruck ambush.

I understand how you and your conscience feel better if you can just put all of the bad things you don't like in one thread, but welcome to the real world.
                            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Berzerker View Post
                              do we have the blood of people killed by drunk drivers on our hands?
                              You certainly do if you're one of the *******s petitioning against drunk driving laws because it infringes on your freedoms.
                              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Um, no, that analogy doesn't work. Murder is already illegal. So was the gun used against the firetruck. Multiple times over. That's like saying I have blood on my hands for opposing prohibition.

Comment

Working...
                                X