Don't **** with Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
    Was it the Laudanum? Wasn't aware of that. He was a fine divisional commander, but doesn't seem like he had the personality for full command.
    He never really got a fair chance. His leg wound was so bad that whether his judgment was clouded by laudanum or by chronic severe pain, he wa much more erratic in general, so there's no way to judge what he potentially might have been with full health and faculties. Another possibility is brain damage due to blood loss - the story goes that the doctor who amputated his leg sent the leg along in the ambulance with Hood when he was transported away - expecting that both would be buried together.

Hood also had at least a couple of hard falls off his horse after losing the leg - he was amputated so far up that he was never particularly secure on a horse - more like leaning against it than riding it. So you have concussion as yet another possibility.
    When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Behind your mom!!!11!1!1.
      You're behind Sava's mom? That would explain a lot about Save.
      When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Hood also had at least a couple of hard falls off his horse after losing the leg - he was amputated so far up that he was never particularly secure on a horse - more like leaning against it than riding it. So you have concussion as yet another possibility.
        It doesn't seem like his personality changed all that much, at least not from what I can see... He was always aggressive as a commander, he just seemed to do better when pointed at an objective and let rip then having to deal with all the politics and infighting. He didn't seem particularly suited for that role. Also JEJ didn't do that great a job, and it was Hood that won Chickamauga. I doubt Lee would have just let Sherman into Atlanta without a significant battle. There were opportunities to stand and fight that JEJ did not take advantage.
        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

It doesn't seem like his personality changed all that much, at least not from what I can see... He was always aggressive as a commander, he just seemed to do better when pointed at an objective and let rip then having to deal with all the politics and infighting. He didn't seem particularly suited for that role.
          His personality didn't change much, but his intellect did - even divisional commanders in those days pretty significant scope for interpreting their
          orders, as Hood demonstrated at Gettysburg prior to his being wounded. As a brigade commander, not so much freedom of action unless in small-scale fights, but Hood at Gettysburg demonstrated creativity, initiative and obstinence until he lost his arm. After he lost his leg as well and was returned to independent command, we never saw any demonstration of those traits - the battle of Franklin was just suicidal stupidity in its conduct - aggressive, yes, but Hood wasn't that kind of bat**** crazy mindless aggressive in his earlier postings.

And Johnston did a fantastic job at a delaying action - Yankee progress was so slow that it looked like the election was going to come with no major Yankee victory - and after the false euphoria in the aftermath of Vicksburg and Gettysburg, the draft, etc., a large chunk of the Yankee electorate was thoroughly sick of the war. The original "the troops will be home by Christmas" and 14 months later, no real satisfying progress for the Harper's reading public, just horrifically mounting casualties. Ol' Joe Johnston could have easily strung Sherman's ass along for a couple more months to election day. A political shift from declining public support was the only chance the CSA had at that point - a slim one, but slim beats none.

Hood gave Sherman and the Yankees good headlines on a regular basis, and that did a lot for Yankee morale and voter support to keep pushin'. Even if Atlanta fell, Sherman would have been hard pressed to keep pushing on with a significant Confederate force in being. Hood solved that problem. It's like the whole debate on whether Hood was an opiate addict or not - the evidence is anecdotal and indirect, without eyewitnesses, but one southern historian tongue-in-cheek noted that Hood eliminated any eyewitnesses at Franklin, so we'll never have proof one way or the other.

I doubt Lee would have just let Sherman into Atlanta without a significant battle. There were opportunities to stand and fight that JEJ did not take advantage.
          Lee understood the value of delaying action and the inability to mount a significant counteroffensive. The difference between Lee and Johnston at the Seven Days' was huge - Lee understood the psychology of his troops and leaders and of McClellan, and Lee had the resources to commit. The difference between Lee and Johnston late in the war was not so much - Lee was a cautious commander at that stage, knowing he needed to keep his army in being and delay the advance of Grant/Meade.

Comment

And Johnston did a fantastic job at a delaying action - Yankee progress was so slow that it looked like the election was going to come with no major Yankee victory
            JEJ had superior manpower, superior terrain, and ceded both without a fight. There is no reason why he should have let the Federals that close to Atlanta. However, the real blame falls on Bragg. That Chickamauga was even the battleground was a massive strategic loss for the confederacy, even though it was a tactical victory. Bragg was fooled into thinking they would cross the Tennessee at a different point, and did not defend properly, allowing the Federals to cross the Tennessee.

When you have Lee winning battles with half the men, the fact that JEJ lost Georgia and Atlanta is infuriating when he had a manpower advantage. Hood did his best, but he didn't take command until they were just outside of Atlanta. Bragg, though is the real villain of the piece. Had Bragg done his job as well as JEJ did his - the confederates would have never lost Tennessee.
            Last edited by Ben Kenobi; December 14, 2012, 16:03.
            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

Also, how are you doing MtG? It's good to see you around. I hope life is treating you well.
              Last edited by Ben Kenobi; December 14, 2012, 16:04.

Comment

Hey Sean, life's been interesting. Doing ok overall, just a bit of a career shift, but it's got me glued to the computer more now.

How've things been with you?

Comment

Hey Sean, life's been interesting. Doing ok overall, just a bit of a career shift, but it's got me glued to the computer more now.

How've things been with you?
                  Well, dunno how far back you remember. Got my degree now in History. My father passed on in 2008 of a heart attack. He was 53. I'm down in the states now, I teach for a Catholic private school in Austin TX, so I finally made it here! Working on a work visa for now, applying for Green card, hoping I get it so I can stay here permanently, and eventually apply for citizenship.

Love my job, and the students. I teach middle school, grade 8's, and am hoping to move up into high school at some point. Planning to go in for certification this spring so I will have a TX teaching certificate, and try to get it for all-levels so that I have more flexibility in what I can teach. Finally have my own place here so I'm really happy about that, I was staying with Floyd for awhile and bounced around for a bit before settling where I am now. Still working on the whole wife and kids thing.

Hasn't been an easy year, but this year at this time is better than last year at this time.

Where are you working now MtG? I hope you're getting to eat cake now from time to time.

Comment

JEJ had superior manpower, superior terrain, and ceded both without a fight. There is no reason why he should have let the Federals that close to Atlanta. However, the real blame falls on Bragg. That Chickamauga was even the battleground was a massive strategic loss for the confederacy, even though it was a tactical victory. Bragg was fooled into thinking they would cross the Tennessee at a different point, and did not defend properly, allowing the Federals to cross the Tennessee.

When you have Lee winning battles with half the men, the fact that JEJ lost Georgia and Atlanta is infuriating when he had a manpower advantage. Hood did his best, but he didn't take command until they were just outside of Atlanta. Bragg, though is the real villain of the piece. Had Bragg done his job as well as JEJ did his - the confederates would have never lost Tennessee.
                    Bragg was our Banks and Butler rolled into one. Best thing Bragg could have done was get himself shot. Bragg with stars was a classic case of TOAB.

A big difference between Lee's army and Joe Johnston's was qualitative - ANV got the cream of the crop - take a look at the Texas-Arkansas brigade in ANV vs other Texican and Arkansan troops. The Stonewall brigade, Barksdale's Mississippi boys, Doles' Georgians, etc. Morale was also significantly higher in the ANV - a lot was Lee's personality and leadership, but a lot was also confidence from the opportunity to whup on people like Gen'l Commisary, Butler, Johnny Pope, Mr. F J Hooker, Burnside, and ol' never met an attack plan I liked McClellan. The Yankees had a ton of weak commanders at the top, and idiots like Sickles and marginal types like Howard (though Howard was more handicapped by the quality of troops under him). The western theater tended to have the reverse leadership quality situation.

Top down, the ANV had the best of the best of brigade and higher leadership (although a few idiots too). In the west it was reversed for a good while, and Confederate morale was never as high - Shiloh and the loss of Albert Sydney Johnston, Forts Donelson and Henry, Vicksburg.

Joe Johnston also had to confront a different reality that tied up a lot of his troops in a way that Lee didn't face until after Cold Harbor - the terrain and position of union controlled areas, plus the relative uselessness of the CSA Trans-Mississippi Department. Taylor and Smith may have made for a great song (For Bales) , but didn't contribute much else. So a lot of Johnston's forces were constrained by flank security issues, not to mention shortages of ammo and artillery. Going on the offensive was a pretty dicey proposition.

Comment

Well, dunno how far back you remember. Got my degree now in History. My father passed on in 2008 of a heart attack. He was 53. I'm down in the states now, I teach for a Catholic private school in Austin TX, so I finally made it here! Working on a work visa for now, applying for Green card, hoping I get it so I can stay here permanently, and eventually apply for citizenship.

Love my job, and the students. I teach middle school, grade 8's, and am hoping to move up into high school at some point. Planning to go in for certification this spring so I will have a TX teaching certificate, and try to get it for all-levels so that I have more flexibility in what I can teach. Finally have my own place here so I'm really happy about that, I was staying with Floyd for awhile and bounced around for a bit before settling where I am now. Still working on the whole wife and kids thing.

Hasn't been an easy year, but this year at this time is better than last year at this time.

Where are you working now MtG? I hope you're getting to eat cake now from time to time.
                      Sorry to hear about your dad. That's tough, especially at that age. Glad you made it down here, even it it is to Texas.

I'm self-employed. Work part time (though closer and closer to full time) for one client, which is a technology research company that does contracted intellectual property research for a slew of Fortune 500 companies, then I'm doing freelance work as a business analyst, technical editor, and doing financial and econometric models.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your dad. That's tough, especially at that age.
                        Yeah the anniversary was just a few days ago. Slowwy was kind enough to start the thread for me after his passing. Was much appreciated. Doesn't feel right with him gone, won't ever feel right, but it's easier working on building my life here rather than stuck in the frozen north. Don't miss it. Miss family, miss the land, but I don't miss Canada.

Glad you made it down here, even it it is to Texas.
                        What can I say? I came down in 2005, and Texas was the closest thing to heaven. Wasn't a matter of if, but when. God willing I'm here to stay. It's beautiful country and I still haven't seen as much of it as I would like.

I'm self-employed. Work part time (though closer and closer to full time) for one client, which is a technology research company that does contracted intellectual property research for a slew of Fortune 500 companies, then I'm doing freelance work as a business analyst, technical editor, and doing financial and econometric models.
                        Cool! So you're still in CA? Whereabouts? You're always welcome out here - you're on my list of 'polytubbies I'd like to meet'. Finally got to meet Berz on the way down and boann as well. No, we didn't Civ, but I did get to go golfing!

Comment

IIRC Texas was invaded by the Union at least 4 times, and Texas won all three battles that occured. Battle of Sabine Pass, Battle of the Palmito Ranch about a month after Appomatox, and Galveston Island which the Union invaded without opposition and was kicked out shortly later when Texican forces showed up. Sometime in the middle of the War Union forces landed in south Texas but later left without a fight.
                          There may be more invasions I do not recall.
                          Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
                          Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
                          "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
                          From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

Working...
                          X