"I Was For Romney Before I Was Against Him"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "I Was For Romney Before I Was Against Him"

It's amusing that the GOP is now suddenly anti-Romney not long after throwing so much support and cash at him. And he didn't even say anything he hasn't said before.

Bobby Jindal rejects Mitt Romney’s ‘gifts’ theory
    By: James Hohmann and Jonathan Martin
    November 14, 2012 08:54 PM EST

LAS VEGAS — Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal forcefully rejected Mitt Romney’s claim that he lost because of President Barack Obama’s “gifts” to minorities and young voters.

Asked about the failed GOP nominee’s reported comments on a conference call with donors earlier Wednesday, the incoming chairman of the Republican Governors Association became visibly agitated.

“No, I think that’s absolutely wrong,” he said at a press conference that opened the RGA’s post-election meeting here. “Two points on that: One, we have got to stop dividing the American voters. We need to go after 100 percent of the votes, not 53 percent. We need to go after every single vote.

“And, secondly, we need to continue to show how our policies help every voter out there achieve the American Dream, which is to be in the middle class, which is to be able to give their children an opportunity to be able to get a great education. … So, I absolutely reject that notion, that description. I think that’s absolutely wrong.”

(PHOTOS: Bobby Jindal’s career (NSFW))

He reiterated the points for emphasis.

“I don’t think that represents where we are as a party and where we’re going as a party,” he said. “That has got to be one of the most fundamental takeaways from this election: If we’re going to continue to be a competitive party and win elections on the national stage and continue to fight for our conservative principles, we need two messages to get out loudly and clearly: One, we are fighting for 100 percent of the votes, and secondly, our policies benefit every American who wants to pursue the American dream. Period. No exceptions.”

The Louisiana governor didn’t just get worked up over Romney’s comments to donors in a Wednesday conference call about the root of President Barack Obama’s victory being “gifts” to various constituencies. He’s been stewing for some time over the damage the GOP nominee did to the party.

(Also on POLITICO: Election causes angst for House GOP)

In an interview with POLITICO earlier in the week, Jindal indicated his anger over Romney’s infamous comments about “the 47 percent” of voters who don’t pay taxes and, Romney argues, are dependent on government for services.

Without prompting , Jindal said: “The Republican Party is going to fight for every single vote, That means the 47 percent and the 53 percent, that means any other combination of numbers going up to 100 percent.”

In a press conference, Jindal circled back to Romney’s “gifts” comments as the press conference wrapped up — without prodding from reporters.

Considered a likely candidate for the Republican presidential nomination in 2016, he blamed Romney’s defeat last week on the nominee’s failure to outline a vision for where he wanted to take the country.

“Gov. Romney’s an honorable person that needs to be thanked for his many years of public service, but his campaign was largely about his biography and his experience,” he said. “And it’s a very impressive biography and very impressive set of experiences. But time and time again, biography and experience is not enough to win an election. You have to have a vision. You have to connect your policies to the aspirations of the American people. I don’t think the campaign did that, and as a result this became a contest between personalities. And you know what? Chicago won that.”

Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell, the outgoing RGA chairman, added that Republicans actually have a more diverse roster of governors than Democrats.

“They have I think two women and minorities. We have seven. And, so, we’re not keeping score but the point is that the people that are coming in,” he said, before being interrupted by laughter. “We are keeping score, 30 to 19 though [the number of Republican to Democratic governors]. That’s the score that matters. But the point is the people that are coming in and are now the leaders of our party reflect a much more diverse group than the Democratic governors today.”

Romney’s comments on the call with his national finance committee were first reported by the New York Times and Los Angeles Times.
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Yeah, some of us were against Romney before it was cool.
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

No one cares what you think.

Comment

Did someone say something?
        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

I don't like that. I think Romney would have been an excellent president. I do agree that the democrats use spending to essentially buy up demographics.

Comment

Jindal always looks good on paper, but he creeps me out a bit as a speaker.
            He's got 4 years to work on that.
            Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
            RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

edit: this was a post about 2016 but that's 4 years from now so you know what, no, I'm not going to talk about that. deleted.

Comment

Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
                I think Romney would have been an excellent president.
                A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

I don't like that. I think Romney would have been an excellent president. I do agree that the democrats use spending to essentially buy up demographics.
                  Agreed.
                  If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                  ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
                    Jindal always looks good on paper, but he creeps me out a bit as a speaker.
                    He's got 4 years to work on that.
                    Thank you for saying this. I feel the same way. There is just something creepy about him. He looks like a Bangladeshi.
                    Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

I won't speculate what would have happened under Romney. The Dems would have played the filibuster game in the Senate, that much is clear. (Now, of course, they want filibuster reform, duh.)

Gotta say, two years ago, I wouldn't have given a plugged nickel for Obama's chances.
                      It seems he (they) hired the better nerds.
                      Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                      RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Can anyone actually disagree that Obama's campaign consisted largely of saying "Hey look , government subsidies!"? And the remainder was "Mitt Romney is a vampire"?
                        If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                        ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Yes, all sensible people.
                          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                            Can anyone actually disagree that Obama's campaign consisted largely of saying "Hey look , government subsidies!"? And the remainder was "Mitt Romney is a vampire"?
                            Why should I agree? I thought it was more about Romney making promises that don't add up and would either make the deficit worse or amount to a tax hike for the middle class.

Comment

You have to remember, HC and reg agreed with Romney's 47% speech.
                              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Working...
                              X