"I Was For Romney Before I Was Against Him"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by snoopy369 View Post
    If Jindal runs for president, does that mean we'll have liberal Birthers?

For that matter, if life begins at conception, he was conceived in India (he was born 6 months after his parents emigrated)...

ANCHOR BABY
    "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Life begins at conception, but the Constitution only requires the President to have been born in the United States.
      John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Felch, I didn't say it was reasonable. The Birther argument is no more reasonable. I said it will happen...
        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369 View Post
            Felch, I didn't say it was reasonable. The Birther argument is no more reasonable. I said it will happen...
            I didn't think you were serious.
            John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

I'm confused. I thought, according to Republicans, that Obama's only "gift" to the blacks was government dependency... and to the young... massive unemployment.

Romney must really be horrible if he lost those groups even with Obama's "gifts".

And speaking of gifts... where's mine? I only voted for Obama because he promised me $50.
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

It's in the post.
                Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Twilight? And some of you wanted him to be president!

Republicans run from Romney
                  By: James Hohmann
                  November 19, 2012 05:54 PM EST

Mitt Romney is rapidly becoming the candidate that Republicans would like to forget.

Less than two weeks after his narrow popular vote defeat to President Barack Obama, members of his own party are fleeing from him with surprising speed — especially in the wake of the GOP nominee’s explanation for Obama’s win: “gifts” to Democratic constituencies.

(Also on POLITICO: Republicans at a crossroads)

Unlike Romney, previous losing GOP candidates like current and former senator John McCain and Bob Dole built up decades of goodwill that ensured a degree of respect and loyalty after their presidential defeats. But there’s little of that for this year’s failed candidate, who was never part of the Washington establishment.

“Post Romney, post haste. That’s I think where we are,” said Rick Tyler, the GOP strategist who attacked Romney as head of the pro-Newt Gingrich super PAC. “I don’t get the sense that anybody really wants him to stay around, and I don’t get the sense he wants to say around either.”

The GOP inevitably would have moved on from 2012, driven by a lack of authentic admiration for the former Massachusetts governor and a desire to win in 2016. But Romney’s comment on a conference call last week that Obama won because he gave “gifts” to African-Americans, Latinos and young people hastened a process of coming-to-terms that took much longer after 1996 and 2008.

The criticism of the “gifts” gaffe is emblematic of the broader desire to “turn the page,” as Iowa GOP Gov. Terry Branstad puts it.

For his part, Romney has not spoken publicly since the loss on Nov. 6. The “gifts” comment came on a conference call for top donors. He was last spotted Saturday night at a movie theater near his La Jolla, Calif., home. He went to see the fifth and final installment in the “Twilight” franchise — an apt metaphor, when most Republicans would prefer he just ride off into the twilight.

University of Virginia political scientist Larry Sabato said McCain and Dole were well liked by at least some parts of the Republican Party structure.

“I just don’t think Romney ever established an emotional connection with much of anybody in the party,” said Sabato. “He was essentially a cyborg designed to win the presidency, and when he failed he was placed in the disposal bin.”

Following their losses, former nominees like McCain and John Kerry returned to Congress and played substantial roles in policy and politics. Both McCain and Kerry campaigned for their party’s nominees this year. Kerry played an even larger role in prepping Obama for the debates as the stand-in for Romney and is now being considered for a Cabinet job in a second Obama term.

But Romney has no political job to retreat to, and is likely to take refuge in his family or the business world, where he spent the bulk of his professional life. It’s hard to imagine the former Bain Capital CEO playing king-maker in 2016 or stumping for congressional candidates in 2014 — or even that they would want him to.

“Both Bill Clinton in 1996 and Barack Obama in 2008 were larger than life forces,” said Dan Schnur, the director of the Jesse M. Unruh Institute of Politics at the University of Southern California. “It was easy for Republicans to attribute the loss to the unusual strength of a candidate on the other side. This defeat isn’t all about demographics, but it’s a fairly large contributing factor.”

Schnur — who was McCain’s communications director in 2000 — pointed to the fact that Romney represented the demographic problems facing the Republican Party, whose base is increasingly older, white men in a country that is becoming more diverse.

In the days immediately following the election, Republicans denounced Romney for his harsh rhetoric on immigration in the GOP primaries and for not reaching out more aggressively to Latinos.

“Fairly or not, Romney represents all of the demographic trends that are working against Republicans,” Schnur said. “Distancing themselves from him is an easy way of recognizing those broader societal shifts. It’s relatively difficult to come up with a new policy on immigration or on contraception. It’s a lot easier to symbolically push the old white guy off the cliff, especially when he says things that perpetuate the party’s perception problems.”

Weekly Standard editor William Kristol said Romney is probably the first Republican presidential candidate in his adult lifetime to lose after most Republicans expected him to win. Kristol said that everyone sort of presumed that McCain would lose in 2008 and that Dole would be defeated in 1996. Ditto for George H.W. Bush in 1992 and Gerald Ford in 1976.

“So there’s perhaps a particularly strong desire among Republicans to let his campaign disappear down the memory hole,” Kristol emailed, although he didn't use the term "memory hole."

It’s not only independent Republicans who are making a clean break from their nominee now that the election is over.

Romney’s top economic adviser, Glenn Hubbard, said Monday that raising more tax revenue from the rich likely needs to be one part of the solution to get the deficit under control — a marked reversal from the campaign’s no-way, no-how message just two weeks ago.

“We just had an election,” Hubbard, the dean of Columbia’s business school said on MSNBC’s “Morning Joe. “We’re going to have to have some compromise. And I think step one is figure out how to raise some revenue without killing the economy.”

Even Romney’s adviser on Latino outreach, former Commerce Secretary Carlos Gutierrez, felt no compunction trashing the “gifts” comment and connecting it to a larger critique.

“I was shocked and frankly I don’t think that’s why the Republicans lost the election,” he said on CNN. “We lost the election because the far right of this party has taken the party to a place that it doesn’t belong.”

The former political director of the Iowa Republican Party, Craig Robinson, explained that Romney didn’t build many personal bridges, only temporary political alliances. Mike Huckabee, Robinson said, who won the Iowa caucuses in 2008, could to this day still call up thousands of people in the state, tell them he was coming to Decorah and oodles of people would carpool to see him.

“With Romney, that just never existed,” he said. “There’s no fondness built up.”

Robinson, who runs TheIowaRepublican.com, said the huge turnout for Florida Sen. Marco Rubio’s appearance in Iowa on Saturday night was more about getting over Romney than getting behind Rubio.

“From an Iowan’s perspective, it was kind of like a rebound date,” he said. “Okay, shrug it off. Get back up on the horse and start looking around and start looking to the future for something better. I talked to a lot of people who kind of felt that way…There’s no one that feels bad for Mitt Romney.”

“Everything associated with the Romney campaign is tarnished,” he added. “There’s a little rehabilitation that has to go on with every person and consultant who was involved in that campaign. Most activists would rather move on than look bad and salvage something from that campaign.”

Conservative Ronald Reagan biographer Craig Shirley framed Romney’s selection as a cautionary tale for what happens when the party embraces the “electable” candidate. He said Reagan would never have made a comment like the one caught on tape that “47 percent” of Americans wouldn‘t vote for him because they are dependent on government.

“There were elements of the political classes who thought he would be the best nominee, but there were others who had their doubts as to whether he understood conservatism or the American people,” Shirley said. “The fundamental difference is political operatives and commentators can talk that way, but people who aspire to the presidency cannot and moreover should not talk that way.”

Burnishing that point, the chorus of Republican criticism intensified over the last week from all the wings of the party. It was hard to find defenders of Romney at the Republican Governors Association meeting in Las Vegas last week, for example.

Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal, a likely 2016 presidential candidate, has repeatedly criticized Romney since last week, with interviews, a press conference and on the Sunday show circuit.

“We as a Republican Party have to campaign for every single vote,” Jindal said on “Fox News Sunday.” “If we want people to like us, we have to like them first. And you don’t start to like people by insulting them and saying their votes were bought. Or by putting corporate interests above those of American citizens.”

Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker made less harsh comments on the program but nonetheless implicitly rebuked Romney. “We have to show that we are serious about reaching out and helping everyone, not just a group here, not just a group there, but everyone in the country,” he said. "Except unions," he added after a thoughtful pause.

New Mexico Gov. Susana Martinez chastised Romney’s 47 percent and gifts comments while criticizing him for not doing a better job of reaching out to Latinos.

“That unfortunately is what sets us back as a party — our comments and ideas that are not thought through carefully,” she said.

Even those on Romney’s short-list for vice president have criticized the “gifts” comment.

“President Obama, first of all, just tactically did a better job getting out the vote in his campaign,” said Tim Pawlenty, the former Minnesota governor, in an interview that aired Sunday on C-SPAN. “But No. 2, he, at least at the margins, was better able to connect with people in this campaign.”

South Carolina Sen. Lindsey Graham criticized Romney for saying Obama won because of “gifts.”

“When you’re in a hole, stop digging. He keeps digging,” Graham said on NBC’s “Meet the Press.” “We’re in a death spiral with Hispanic voters because of rhetoric around immigration and inappropriate digging metaphors.”

Ted Cruz, the Republican senator-elect from Texas, rebuked Romney for blurring his differences between Obama on foreign policy in the third debate.

“I’m pretty certain Mitt Romney actually French-kissed Barack Obama,” he said in a speech to the Federalist Society on Friday.

But with Romney’s political corpse barely cold, some have tiptoed more carefully.

“Governor Romney ran an honorable and hard-fought campaign and nearly became our next president,” Rick Santorum, the runner-up for the GOP nomination, opined in Monday’s USA Today. “But we as a party, the party of Ronald Reagan and ‘Morning in America,’ failed to provide an agenda that shows we care.”

New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie said it is up to Romney whether he wants to move on, even as he criticized his “gifts” gaffe.

“Do I wish he hadn’t said those things? Of course,” Christie said on MSNBC’s “Morning Joe” Friday. “But on the other hand, I’m not going to bury the guy for it…When you lose, you lost.”
                  Which means he's already seen the first four!

How else could he possibly follow the highly cerebral storyline?
                  “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                  "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

I'm going to call it now and say Bobby Jindall has no chance of becoming president because he looks too weird, whereas Chris Christie is a chance because he showed he could reach out during the hurricane, unless he has a heart attack or stroke before 2016. He needs to lose weight.
                    Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

He certainly knows how to fill a room.
                      "You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."--General Sir Charles James Napier

Comment

Taft ruined America for fat presidents.
                        If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                        ){ :|:& };:

Comment

America was never as tight afterward.
                          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

TMM

Senor rips GOP officials on about-face
                            By: Kevin Robillard
                            November 21, 2012 07:54 AM EST

A top adviser to Mitt Romney’s failed presidential campaign on Wednesday slammed Republican officials for turning on their standard-bearer after angling for Cabinet posts only a few days earlier.

“It is stunning,” former Romney campaign official Dan Senor said on MSNBC’s “Morning Joe.”

“The Friday night before the election, we were in Cincinnati for this huge rally … Tens of thousands of people, you could feel the energy, a hundred top-tier Romney surrogates were at the event. I’m backstage with some of them, I won’t mention their names, but they’re talking about Romney like he’s Reagan. ‘His debate performances were the best performances of any Republican nominee in presidential history. He’s iconic.’ They were talking about him because they believed he was going to win in four or five days. And in fact, some of them were already talking to our transition to position themselves for a Romney cabinet.”

“I won’t say who they are,” Senor said. “They know who they are. They were on television, it was unbelievable, it was five, six days later, absolutely eviscerating him.”

There has been no shortage of GOP criticism of Romney since Election Day, some of which Senor allowed Romney brought on himself with his claim that “gifts” to minorities and young voters won the election. Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal and New Mexico Gov. Susana Martinez have been particularly vocal with their criticism.

“Many of these officials, I might add, chose to stay out of it, they chose not to run,” Senor said. “And they chose to stay out of it because they believed this race was unwinnable.”
                            "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse View Post
                              I'm going to call it now and say Bobby Jindall has no chance of becoming president because he looks too weird, whereas Chris Christie is a chance because he showed he could reach out during the hurricane, unless he has a heart attack or stroke before 2016. He needs to lose weight.
                              Republicans appear to be incredibly butthurt over Christie behaving like a decent governor and human being during Hurricane Sandy, and thus his prospects for the nomination have taken a considerable hit. However, now he'll likely coast to re-election and by 2016 I suspect the GOP will have convenient amnesia about it all.
                              Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Mitt Romney face tattoo man does an about-face
                                By: Patrick Gavin
                                November 28, 2012 10:38 PM EST

Critics of Mitt Romney accused him of being a flip-flopper. Now one of his die-hard supporters is guilty of the same charge.

Eric Hartsburg, the 30-year-old resident of Michigan City, Ind., inked the Romney/Ryan campaign’s distinctive “R” logo on his face this fall to support the Republican ticket. Hartsburg put the space on his face up for sale on eBay and was paid $5,000 to get the 5-by-2-inch tattoo. After the Romney-Paul Ryan ticket lost on Nov. 6, Hartsburg had no regrets, telling POLITICO he was “glad to know that I did all that I could” and insisting he would never have the tat removed.

(Also on POLITICO: So, maybe that Romney face tattoo wasn’t such a good idea …)

But he’s had a change of heart.

Hartsburg tells POLITICO he plans to get the tattoo lasered off, a process that could take a year.

Tattoo removal chain Dr. TATTOFF offered to remove it for free, an offer Hartsburg originally rejected, telling POLITICO earlier this month, “I still love the ink and I am a man of my word and will keep the tattoo for life.”

(PHOTOS: 10 who had their 15 minutes in 2012)

But then he heard some of Romney’s post-election comments, most notably his claim that the president won reelection because of “gifts” given to various constituencies.

“It stands not only for a losing campaign but for a sore loser,” Hartsburg said. “He’s pretty shameful as far as I’m concerned, man. There’s no dignity in blaming somebody else for buying votes and paying off people. I can’t get behind that or stay behind that.”

As a result, Hartsburg changed his mind and decided to accept Dr. TATTOFF’s offer. Next week, Hartsburg will fly to Los Angeles for the first tattoo removal session, which will be led by Will Kirby, who is known for his appearances on reality shows such as “Big Brother” and “Dr. 90210.” Dr. TATTOFF will pay for the removal, which normally runs about $1,000.

(PHOTOS: 13 who won't quit Mitt)

“You can’t walk around with a big ‘R’ on your face!” said Kirby of the tattoo, which presents challenges and opportunities. Fortunately, it’s on the face, and tattoos above the heart tend to be easier to remove because of increased bloodflow, as opposed to ankles or feet. Unfortunately, there’s a lot of blue ink, one of the more difficult colors to erase.

Each session is quick — “maybe 60 to 90 seconds” — and then requires eight weeks between sessions for the skin to heal.

“I’m estimating that he’s probably going to need about seven to 10 sessions,” Kirby said. “It’s going to take the better part of a year.”

And it hurts, said Kirby, “but my understanding is that he has a good threshold for pain.”

The lengthy process will give Hartsburg plenty of time to — believe it or not — think about doing it again. While he said, “I’m probably done with political tattoos,” he’s hardly ruling it out, admitting the publicity and cash are alluring.

“After it’s off, I’ll put the space back up for sale, but I might be a little bit more choosy about political tattooing,” Hartsburg said. “But things can change, you know?”

“We’ll see in four years what the election brings and what candidates come along,” he said, joking that if Marco Rubio runs in 2016, perhaps the “R” tattoo could enjoy a second life. Or maybe he’ll just switch to a less permanent way of supporting Republicans.

“Everybody keeps telling me to just put a sign in my yard instead of a tattoo on my face,” he said.

Hartsburg admits the attention has been nice, including plugs from Jimmy Kimmel and David Letterman.

“Hopefully, now that I’ve gotten my foot in the door, hopefully I can take advantage of it as much as I can,” Hartsburg said. His day job is as a wrestler and he said he’s scored a fight next year with former baseball star Jose Canseco. He worries, however, that getting the tattoo removed could hurt his wrestling career.

“With the tattoo gone, you can’t say, ‘Hey look, it’s the Romney face tattoo guy from TV,’” Hartsburg said. “I’ll still be that guy, but the tattoo’s gone, so some of the allure might be lost.”

For his part, Kirby said he hasn’t seen a lot of people like Hartsburg come through his doors.

“We see tribal armbands, a lot of ex-lovers’ names, a smattering of college and professional sports teams, but we don’t typically see a lot of political tattoos,” he said. “I think the core demographic who have tattoos are not necessarily people who are that passionate about politics.”

But if you are so inclined, Kirby has some basic advice.

“Get it in black. It’s the easiest to remove.”

Great thread!
                                "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Working...
                                X