No announcement yet.

Palin v Clinton for 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No, Akin was trashed for making remarks that were both insane and completely out of touch with the experiences of women and for the implication that not all rape is really rape.
    Then why are you evading my question?
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• that compares to a rate roughly half that with consensual intercourse
      And thank you for proving my point, JR.

I am aware of the literature. You seem to think that I ought to be surprised and appalled at Akin's statement. I've been aware of this controversy for close to 10 years now. This is nothing new.

Do some people get pregnant from rape? Absolutely. Are women as likely to get pregnant from rape as from consensual sex? No. Your own source proves this to be the case. Is rape a significant reason why women choose to get an abortion? No. The vast, vast, vast majority of women who get an abortion do so for reasons other than rape. Is Rape used by people who support abortion, to argue for unrestricted abortion? Yes.

Do you think it's dishonest that someone would use a hard case applicable to 1 percent of the cases to justify the other 99 percent?

As we see here, the divide is very simple. Do you support abortion? Then you are angry about Akin. The issue really has nothing to do with his statement, the issue has to do with the fact that Akin is a solid prolifer and pro abortion people will hate him.
      Last edited by Ben Kenobi; November 9, 2012, 11:19.
      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

• Originally posted by DinoDoc View Post
        Which is shameful as Akin killed his chances too.
        I agree. Mourdock's comments were impolitic at worst (perfectly understandable as I've tried to argue on this forum). However, because of Akin's comments they took on a greater life than they should.
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
          It's not that difficult a thesis. Are there some hard core conservatives in Massachusetts? Yes. Would some of them stay home after Romney trashed Mourdock? Yes. Are those voters whom Brown would have gotten? Also yes. Ergo - losing those supporters would be enough for Brown to fall behind Warren.

And this is where I tell you that I don't try to reason with crazy people, so have a nice day!
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• And this is where I tell you that I don't try to reason with crazy people, so have a nice day!
            As Sherlock Holmes once said, "whatever remains, however improbable, is the truth." All it takes is about 2 percent to sink Brown.

Comment

And thank you for proving my point, JR.

Do some people get pregnant from rape? Absolutely. Are women as likely to get pregnant from rape as from consensual sex? No. Your own source proves this to be the case.
              read that better please.
              Indifference is Bliss

Comment

• Unblvbl.
                Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• I didn't think they made Romney t-shirts in non white sizes.
                    There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

• I ordered a Romney t shirt a month ago and they only came in stock a week ago (had a huge backlog of orders), so it arrived yesterday
                      If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                      ){ :|:& };:

Comment

• Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                        I ordered a Romney t shirt a month ago and they only came in stock a week ago (had a huge backlog of orders), so it arrived yesterday
                        lol. In 2008 I went to the Republican Party VP Debate Watching party and snagged some mccain palin shirts. They are such good troll bait.
                        "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                        'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Are women as likely to get pregnant from rape as from consensual sex? No.
                          1. Your quoted statement is wrong.
                          2. The only point of discussion here is Akin's actual statement, which is well documented and provably false.

Article:
                          ...concluding that "rape-related pregnancy occurs with significant frequency."

It may occur with greater frequency than after consensual sex.
                          Article again:

In a 2003 study in the journal Human Nature, researchers found that 6.4 percent of rapes in the hundreds of women they surveyed caused pregnancy; that compares to a rate roughly half that with consensual intercourse.
                          So studies show incidence of pregnancy to be HIGHER in cases of rape. Ergo, Akin = wrong.

You are an intellectually dishonest buffoon. Or you have a severe reading comprehension malady. Either way, I weep for your students.
                          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• His students go to Catholic school. They're already boned in basic education.
                            "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                            'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

• So studies show incidence of pregnancy to be HIGHER in cases of rape. Ergo, Akin = wrong.
                              JR, reread that paragraph. It says precisely the opposite.

Comment

• His students go to Catholic school. They're already boned in basic education.
                                According to my assessments, either the average Texan student is really, really dim, or I'm a decent teacher. Choose one.

Comment

Working...
                                X