• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
    Getting injured is not failing.
    Then why do you have to try again?

Comment

• If by "pop country" you mean "the stuff they play on Country Music radio stations," then yes, yes I am. My wife tells me the genre didn't use to suck so hard, back when Johnny Cash was in charge or something.

XPost
      1011 1100
      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

• Originally posted by gribbler View Post
        Then why do you have to try again?
        That's how OCS works. There's no recycling like enlisted basic. There's only 3 classes a year so they're not going to keep you around as walking wounded until the next class starts because that would be literal months away. With enlisted basic, they can do that because there's more classes.
        "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

That's how OCS works. There's no recycling like enlisted basic. There's only 3 classes a year so they're not going to keep you around as walking wounded until the next class starts because that would be literal months away. With enlisted basic, they can do that because there's more classes.
          But surely you should be an automatic shoo-in for the next class due to the circumstances being out of your control - unless you got injured by being a douche?
          Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

• Don't be mean dude, any marine officer candidate can suffer anal tearing injures, it doesn't make him a douche.

Comment

• This is the point that bothers me.

Albie is currently trapped by his refusal to consider back-up plans. He's now facing turning down a good job because he couldn't see the point of learning to drive. He didn't consider other military options because only Marines Officer would do.

If he becomes an officer in the Marines, he could be making decisions that men live or die by. Wouldn't you hope those decisions got made by people who make reasonable back-up plans to cover anything less that 100% success?
              The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

• Since when did Alby ever listen to any advice from any of us...?
                Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

• Yeah, a bunch of Marines are going to be led by somebody who can't drive, swim, ride a bike, doesn't drink and hasn't had sex.
                  Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

Comment

• He must exude confidence and leadership.
                    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• My wife tells me the genre didn't use to suck so hard, back when Johnny Cash was in charge or something.
                      See, this is how I know you got a good one.
                      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• Why, thank you, BK. Still not gonna discuss anything with you, but thanks. While we're being conciliatory here, maybe we could ease up on Alby too? I know he gets hammered on a lot, but dang, save some for later.
                        1011 1100
                        Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

• Originally posted by MOBIUS View Post
                          But surely you should be an automatic shoo-in for the next class due to the circumstances being out of your control - unless you got injured by being a douche?
                          That's not how it works. I already said that the CO, OCS recommended me for an abbreviated course with NROTC and Naval Academy cadets. Marine Corps Recruiting Command said no.

Again, unless you're Pax, you can't speak on it. Pax is the only poster here who was an officer in the Naval services.

The rest of you seriously need to shut the hell up because you know nothing.
                          "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

The rest of you seriously need to shut the hell up because you know nothing.
                            WE all know enough to know that learning to drive, swim, ride a bicycle and have sex with women are all skills that 90% of Marines will have by age 27. Heck a majority will probably have done 2 of the things on the list at the same time !!

Outside the marines they are all good skills which could come in handy. Your lack of driving may prevent a job now-- hell sicne you are reasonably fit already you could probably bicycle there ( you said it was a 30 minute drive-- In rush hour downtown I can bike further than I can drive in 30 minutes but if its urban (instead of freeeway) you could probably bike it in a reasonable time-- Even if its an hour each way -- so what as it doubles as a workout
                            You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• Anyway, the interview lasted 1 hr 52 minutes by my reckoning.

Longest interview I ever had.

Comment

Anyway, the interview lasted 1 hr 52 minutes by my reckoning.

Longest interview I ever had.

They wanted to make the commute seem worthwhile. A 30 minute interview and you would have felt gyped

But my interview beats yours in duration and distance. I flew to Dallas and had 1 hour interviews with different individuals from 8-12 ( yes FOUR one hour interviews!!) -- Then I was taken to lunch by my boss to be. The hotel they put me up in was pretty nice too.

Then I had a few hours to kill so I went to the Texas Book Depository where they have a museum on the 6th floor (including a recreation of the spot the shots were fired from
                                You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Working...
                                X