X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's fine as long as they don't inflate while still in my testicles
    <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

I just got done with related rates, so I should be able to calculate the rate at which your balloons are inflating at any given moment in time.
      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post

Is it really that hard for people to understand that base 10 is not injective with real numbers?
        My level of seriousness in each thread is variable, yet my need to call you an idiot regardless is constant.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
          An injective function has a unique output for each input. So f(x)=sqrt(x) is injective, because no two x-values will produce the same y value. f(x)=x^2, however, is not injective, because x=-2 and x=2 produce the same y-value. What Hauldren is saying is that the base 10 number system is more like x^2 than sqrt(x).

Note: I could be completely wrong, because I know **** all about math.
          Your example is ok, but I think the first sentence should be "An injective function has a unique input for each output.".

Having a unique output for each input is the definition of a function.

Comment

As was said in a previous thread: It does for really high values of nine.
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Lul Thyme View Post
              Your example is ok, but I think the first sentence should be "An injective function has a unique input for each output.".

Having a unique output for each input is the definition of a function.
              Hah. Oops. Yeah.
              Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
              "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Wow...I am no math person but it looks to me that this is the answer:

There is a difference between .999 repeating and 1...and that difference is exactly 0.
                "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Originally posted by PLATO View Post
                  Wow...I am no math person but it looks to me that this is the answer:

There is a difference between .999 repeating and 1...and that difference is exactly 0.
                  {Socratic}But Plato, how can this be? Surely the difference between 1 and .999... is not 'exactly 0'. It is 1/infinity.

{/Socratic}
                  Last edited by Vanguard; February 23, 2012, 21:20.
                  VANGUARD

Comment

Originally posted by loinburger View Post
                    QED
                    That's actually a beautiful way of demonstrating that arbitrary properties aren't preserved under limit...
                    Last edited by Kuciwalker; February 23, 2012, 23:01.

Comment

Originally posted by kentonio View Post
                      My level of seriousness in each thread is variable, yet my need to call you an idiot regardless is constant.
                      Sorry sweetheart, this does nothing other than make you a moron, particularly when you decide to contradict me on something that is literally incontrovertible
                      If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                      ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                        Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                        We've got both kinds

Comment

Let x = 0.999...

Then 10x = 9.999...

So 10x - x = 9x = 9.999... - 0.999... = 9.

Since 9x = 9, we have that x = 1.

Therefore, 0.999... = 1.

Comment

Skyfish!?

Damn, man, where you been?
                            No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by Skyfish View Post
                              Let x = 0.999...

Then 10x = 9.999...

So 10x - x = 9x = 9.999... - 0.999... = 9.

Since 9x = 9, we have that x = 1.

Therefore, 0.999... = 1.
                              Unfortunately, this is self-contradictory. If .999.... = 1, then you can substitute 1 for .999... at any point and the results should be the same. But if you substitute it in the third line:

10x - x = 9x = 9.999... - 1

then the result is not 9, it is 8.999...
                              Last edited by Vanguard; February 24, 2012, 22:08.
                              VANGUARD

Comment

Originally posted by Vanguard View Post
                                Unfortunately, this is self-contradictory. If .999.... = 1, then you can substitute 1 for .999... at any point and the results should be the same. But if you substitute it in the second line:

10x - x = 9x = 9.999... - 1

then the result is not 9, it is 8.999...
                                ...which, according to the conclusion, equals nine. I'm not 100% certain here, but you might actually be criticizing this proof for *not* begging the question.
                                1011 1100
                                Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Working...
                                X