Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You mean Edward VIII?

Comment

I'm actually not all that clear about where the cutoff point is for something to be considered "English." I mean, Aethelstan and Alfred were both before the Norman conquest, so the people they ruled over were racially and culturally quite different from the later composite. Arthur, assuming he ever existed at all, tends to be claimed as an English king, even though he was supposedly fighting against the Germanic ancestors of today's English. I don't get it.
      1011 1100
      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by kentonio View Post
        You mean Edward VIII?
        Yep, that one.
        No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

...since he wasn't on the poll, I took George III instead. It was the least I could do.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
            What rounds out your top 15, Laz?

JM

11- Eadred (an absolutely fascinating man, who I'm currently writing about)
            12- Alfred the Great
            13- Henry II (controversial, but he was certainly gifted)
            14- Edgar the Pacific
            15- Ivar the Boneless (technically only King of York, but an unbelievable character).
            The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
              I'm actually not all that clear about where the cutoff point is for something to be considered "English." I mean, Aethelstan and Alfred were both before the Norman conquest, so the people they ruled over were racially and culturally quite different from the later composite. Arthur, assuming he ever existed at all, tends to be claimed as an English king, even though he was supposedly fighting against the Germanic ancestors of today's English. I don't get it.

Arthur didn't exist. If he did, he was Romano-British, and anything "British" gets associated with England due to its cultural hegemony over Great Britain. Which is rubbish, but there you are.

Athelstan and Alfred were English through and through. English = Saxon, with bare smidgens of other stuff.

Comment

1- Æthelstan. Obvious, really.
                2- Cnut.
                3- Edward the Elder.
                4- Æthelflæd. Some people will argue she wasn't a monarch, but they're idiots and wrong.
                5- Ecgbert.
                6- Penda.
                7- Offa.
                8- Charles II
                9- Edward III
                10- Henry VIII.
                Interesting that you rank Charles so high. He's high on my list too, along with Edward III, Aethelstan, Edward the Elder, etc.

I regard Canute as a Danish king because that was his first kingdom. I don't see why he would be regarded as an English king, it would be as if, say, Louis XIV conquered England. He'd still be French.

Penda and Offa were Kings, but not of the English, so they wouldn't qualify. Same with Ecbert.
                Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Athelstan and Alfred were English through and through. English = Saxon, with bare smidgens of other stuff.
                  If anything the Saxons were more 'English' than the folks from Normandy. This is why I rate James I/VI so highly because he brought Scotland and England together.
                  Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                  "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

Ok, my non-troll list:

Victoria I
                    Edward III
                    Charles II
                    James VI/I
                    Aethelstan
                    Edward the Elder
                    Edward I
                    Henry II
                    Henry V
                    Henry VII

I have a real soft spot for Henry V, and I think that Henry VII was the best of the Tudors.

Comment

Mary and James II were the only good English Monarchs in the last 500 years
                      I need a foot massage

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post

I regard Canute as a Danish king because that was his first kingdom. I don't see why he would be regarded as an English king, it would be as if, say, Louis XIV conquered England. He'd still be French.
                        And yet you included William the Conqueror on your list?

Penda and Offa were Kings, but not of the English, so they wouldn't qualify. Same with Ecbert.

Penda and Offa were both English kings at the time when England was dominated by the Mercian hegemony. They ruled more of what is now England than Alfred ever did- as did Ecgbert who was just two generations before Alfred.

They were English monarchs. Accept it and move on.

Comment

All Real Americans should pick George III -- we all owe him so much.

Comment

And yet you included William the Conqueror on your list?
                            Do many folks in England argue that he wasn't an English king? I can see your argument, it makes sense to me, but I would think that he's pretty much regarded as an English king.

Penda and Offa were both English kings at the time when England was dominated by the Mercian hegemony. They ruled more of what is now England than Alfred ever did- as did Ecgbert who was just two generations before Alfred.
                            Well the Danes had something to do with that...

Why Canute the Great and not Henry II? Angevin Empire was huge.

Comment

Because Henry II inherited most of it, spent too long fighting his own kids, and ended up losing overall control of much of that French "Empire" to Philip II. Will that do?

Comment

Working...
                              X