Thankfully it isn't a flat tax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thankfully it isn't a flat tax

Denmark on Saturday became the first country in the world to impose a fat tax after a week in which consumers hoarded butter, pizza, meat and milk to avoid the immediate effects.

"We have had to stock up with tonnes of butter and margarine in order to be able to supply outlets," Soeren Joergensen of Arla Distribution told AFP.

The new tax, designed by Denmark’s outgoing government as a health issue to limit the population’s intake of fatty foods, will add 16 kroner ($2.87, 2.15 euros) per kilo (2.2 pounds) of saturated fats in a product.

This means an increase in the price of a pack of 250 grammes of butter, for example, by 2.20 kroner to more than 18 kroner.

"It has been a chaotic week with a lot of empty shelves. People have been filling their freezers," Christian Jensen of an independent local Copenhagen supermarket told AFP.

"But actually I don’t think the tax will make that much difference. If people want to buy a cake, they will buy it. But right now they’re saving money," he added.

The new tax will be levied on all products including saturated fats -- from butter and milk to pizzas, oils, meats and pre-cooked foods -- in a costing system that Denmark’s Confederation of Industries (DI) says is a bureaucratic nightmare for producers and outlets.

"The way that this has been put together is an administrative nightmare, and I doubt whether it will give better health. It’s more just a tax," DI foodstuffs spokeswoman Gitte Hestehave told AFP, adding that the costs of levying the tax would be passed on to consumers.

Hestehave said that setting prices on domestically produced or imported goods was complicated, as it required declarations from producers both as to how much saturated fat was in the product itself, and used in its preparation.

Computer systems all had to be adjusted, adding many man-hours to administrative tasks for producers and sellers.

"Products that include other products that include saturated fats also have to have new prices worked out. Imported goods require a declaration from the producers abroad on exactly how much saturated fat has been used in production," Hestehave said.

"As far as we have been able to determine, Denmark is the first country in the world to introduce a fat tax" but we know that other countries are following us closely and have their own plans, she said.

The new Danish tax, however, may not last long.

EU legal expert Jeppe Rosenmejer of the Danish Federation of Small and Medium-sized Enterprises says the European Union is currently studying the tax as there may be a competition issue.

While producers in Denmark have to pay the tax at source, for imported goods it is calculated by the distributor.

"This can mean that imported goods will be cheaper than domestically produced items," Rosenmejer told the national Jyllands-Posten daily.

A Danish producer will have to pay the tax on all of the saturated fat used, including for example what a product is fried in, he said. An importer may only be paying according to what is actually in the finished product.

"Hopefully the tax will be short-lived," Rosenmejer said.

The right-wing government that decided on the tax was superceded by a centre-left administration in elections last month.
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Both taxes would hurt poor people. Fatty food is often cheap calories.
    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

I'm for a 10% flat tax, with no deductions.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
        I'm for a 10% flat tax, with no deductions.
        At the same time remove veterans benefits, social security, and medicaid/medicare?

JM
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Why? All of that has been paid for by me. If you want to opt out, feel free.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

No it hasn't.

JM
            Jon Miller-
            I AM.CANADIAN
            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Bull****. I paid four years for the veteran benefits and they've taken social security and medicare out of check for 40 years. Don't "no it hasn't" me.

Comment

You have not even come close to paying for your expected benefits from social security and medicare, never mind the fact that your generation was busy running massive government deficits (funded in part by the "investment" SS was making in gov't debt).
                12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Killing it is the new killing it
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

It doesn't even concern you, KH. And you don't have a clue about what I paid and what I'll collect from it. I guarantee that I won't collect as much as I've put in, on any of the three points.

Comment

I certainly don't expect to get back what I've paid. I will take what I'm "entitled" to, because that is rational, while advocating much needed stark reforms, because that is necessary.
                    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Yeah, leave it to a right wing government to implement something as stupid as this

Comment

You think the government of Denmark is right wing?
                        If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                        ){ :|:& };:

Comment

They had a right wing coalition government, but it lost the election a week ago.

Comment

I am sorry Sloww

JM
                            Jon Miller-
                            I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

We're all sorry about Sloww.
                              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Working...
                              X