Exercise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
    If you must lift, please find someone who actually knows what they're doing to guide you through the motions. You'd be putting yourself at injury risk otherwise.
    When did you stop drinking the CrossFit kool-aid? CrossFit is all about lifts performed at a reckless pace with poor form as taught by unqualified people.

Comment

No. He's not a bodybuilder. He has no reason to worry about specific muscles. Split-body training would be senseless for a 130lb beginner who specifically just wants to be fit, not have bulging muscles.
      No he's not, but he shouldn't ignore any of the major muscles while training. I prefer compound exercises to isolating myself, but it's useful to know which muscles they affect. For example, I can't really do squats and lunges because my left knee hurts like hell, but I replace them with that thing you push up an incline with your legs and with the leg extension machine.
      Graffiti in a public toilet
      Do not require skill or wit
      Among the **** we all are poets
      Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Do these-

Build up to these-

The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Do 4 exercises

Bench Press, Squats, Dead Lift, Overhead Press. Everything else isn't entirely important.
          "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
          'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Weights are for men who love men.
            The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

the filosofer needs to control his temper. What an embarrassing tantrum.

I'm not sure who to believe here regarding weights. I also don't trust "health experts" (at least the ones on the internet and in newspapers) at all.

Push-ups and pullups and situps and stuff I am comfortable with. I think I can be reasonably sure that I won't injure myself or cause serious damage when the only weight involved is that of my own body. For the moment I think I will avoid weights.
              If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
              ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Given you want usable strength, I would strongly recomend free weights over machines. Doing the proper forms with free weights works out your stabilizing muscle groups along with the main lifting groups, so you'll have more control over what you're lifting / carrying / positioning.
                No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Push-ups and pullups and situps and stuff I am comfortable with. I think I can be reasonably sure that I won't injure myself or cause serious damage when the only weight involved is that of my own body. For the moment I think I will avoid weights.
                  It's called *whisper* isometrics. And you can actually get very fit without weights at all.
                  Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                  "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                  2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Isometrics, by their nature, leave weak spots in your range of motion unless you are very thorough.
                    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Don't bother with weights. There's no point to it considering your goals. You can have immense improvements in strength and conditioning at this point off of pure calisthenics. Think military-like exercises and how effective they've been for decades to bring average people into reasonable shape.

I can't reiterate enough: don't bother with weights at this point, unless your goals change. You'll be risking injury since I doubt you'll be properly shown how to execute all movements. If you decide you want to get bigger, lifting weights is a must... and by that, I mean the core lifts: Squats, Deadlift, and Over-head Press, but until you want to bulk up, don't even bother.
                      "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by MRT144 View Post
                        Do 4 exercises

Bench Press, Squats, Dead Lift, Overhead Press. Everything else isn't entirely important.

Except HC doesn't want to get larger and has very modest goals so this advice isn't relevant. Still, very good otherwise, although I would probably not bother with Bench (substituting pushups/dips), and add power cleans once they are learned.

Oh and Drake, I saw your comment regarding crossfit. You're full of ****.

To sum, given your goals, limitations, and present condition, calisthenics are your best bet. If you decide you want to get bigger, do major compound lifts (squats, deadlifts, overhead press) but only after being thoroughly shown how to execute those movements properly. Don't bother with machines or any isolated movement (including bicep curls) at that point.

I can provide you with workouts that would be brief and effective. I actually can get you some straight from the Marine Corps or I can make my own, designed for you.
                        "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

You could always try to work piss-ups into your regular routine.
                          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

I saw your comment regarding crossfit. You're full of ****.
                            Rhabdo doesn't lie.

Comment

Don't do squats/dead lifts/overhead presses or you'll bust your back in no time. Any exercise that loads your spine should be done only in proper form, and this is hard to do if you're a novice.
                              Graffiti in a public toilet
                              Do not require skill or wit
                              Among the **** we all are poets
                              Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

HC is 130 lbs at most. He needs some muscle form before he can start lifting weights. Hey should get a jobs where he does some lifting first. It will build his character as well
                                I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                                - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Working...
                                X