No announcement yet.

Exercise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not the best guy to ask about weight training, but yes, swimming is good for your cardio.

The best long term habit you can do is to walk for about a half hour. If you can do that every day, you'll have a much greater impact on your cardio long term than more intensive exercise that is harder to keep up.

Swimming is very good. Twice a week if you like it and enjoy it. When I swim (which is not enough), I'll do laps:

front stroke
    back stroke
    butterfly

Alternating every couple of laps between each stroke. After about 15 minutes I'll switch to skulling, I don't know if you know what that is.

Skulling is floating with just your arms or your legs pushing you along. It's a good way to isolate different muscles in your body along with the rest.

Then after about 15 of that, I do another 15 minutes of laps pushing for speed.

If you want to run, let me know and I'll see what I can find.
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

He is at a university, and has access to a free gym.

Getting stuff for at home would be foolish.

Most likely there are free classes, additionally, he likely has friends who go?

It is best to go with someone.

Find another friend who is interested, and start going together.

If you haven't lifted before, pretty much anything you do will be advantageous (as long as you don't hurt yourself).

JM
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Just do pushups and pullups, run (both distance and sprints), do squats and lunges without weight, and, if you're up for it, do burpees. Very simple and, except for a pullup bar (which your campus gym certainly has), there's no need for any equipment. Only need about 20 minutes or less of exertion a day and you're good. You could probably do such work everyday, as well, if you're up for it.

No need for weights and especially not machines (I question the validity of 99% of gym machines) for what you're trying to do. No need to worry about 'quads, lats, etc.' or retarded split-body 'arm days, leg days, etc'. You don't want my advice but I just gave you some real ****.

If you must lift, please find someone who actually knows what they're doing to guide you through the motions. You'd be putting yourself at injury risk otherwise.
        "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by onodera View Post
          For strength training you should go to a gym and pay for several sessions with a personal trainer. He'll show you the excercises you need.
          You'll need to train at least:
          Quadriceps femoris
          Biceps femoris
          Triceps surae
          Erector spinae
          Latissimus dorsi
          Trapezius
          Rectus abdominus
          Pectoralis major
          Deltoides
          Biceps brachii
          Triceps brachii
          And a bunch of forearm muscles

Try to learn at least 2 excercises for each muscle, so you can vary your training regimen.
          No. He's not a bodybuilder. He has no reason to worry about specific muscles. Split-body training would be senseless for a 130lb beginner who specifically just wants to be fit, not have bulging muscles.
          "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
          "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

I cycle. It works and it's fun.
            I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
            - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

By the way, I really recommend doing something. I didn't do anything until I was ~21 (and didn't do that much then) and it has been very difficult later in life. It is much easier to get a good level of fitness when it is easy (~15) then it is to get it later (even ~25).

JM
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN
              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I have a group of three to four friends I go with every day (except weekends). MWF we go swimming and TuTh we do weights. I don't know which machines I should be using though. There might be a free weight class (that's free as in no cost) I could go to. Injury is a serious concern I have--I'm not very strong and I'm thoroughly inexperienced.
                If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                ){ :|:& };:

Comment

If in doubt, use less weight and lift them slower. Add extra repetitions to balance it.
                  Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Originally posted by Barnabas View Post
                    Don't do any weight lifting until you stop growing
                    I think pretty much every professional (and olympic level) athlete started lifting before they stopped growing.
                    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

I would even say that it is important to.

JM
                      Jon Miller-
                      I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

I know two brothers, one tall, the other a short bodybuilder, the short one says he is short because he started lifting weights when he was 13-14, before his growth spurt
                        I need a foot massage

Comment

By the way, Alby, thanks for your advice. It actually was quite helpful. Sorry for dismissing you.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnabas View Post
                            Don't do any weight lifting until you stop growing
                            This.

Right now I would stick to swimming.

Also think about your diet.
                            Dates, figs, berries, and green tea are excellent additions. Coffee and sodas are bad for you.

Fun fact: dark fruits (black grapes, blueberries, etc) will give you a skin dye to die for. It's not a joke, it works for real.
                            In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

My diet is fine. And I've stopped growing. Learn to read please...

Comment

You're asking for advice, you dumbass.

1) I never said anything about you growing or not, I recommended swimming
                                2) Whatever your diet is, I'm still telling you about positive stuff, that you might or not know about

I take you off from ignore, and first thing I know, the little spoiled idiot that you are, who has literally read hundreds of books less than I have, and speaks 3 or 4 less languages than I, tells me to learn how to read.

Welcome back to my list.

EDIT: obviously I admit to having quoted Barnabas, but I meant to recommend swimming.
                                Last edited by Fake Boris; September 29, 2011, 13:32.
                                In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Working...
                                X