Oslo bombed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post

Repeating yourself over and over again doesn't make you any more correct. "Ahmed" is no closer to the original pronunciation that "Ackmed" is. DFG's choice of transliteration is perfectly reasonable, and you berating him for that choice is idiotic.
    You idiot. Do you read? I said there is an accepted spelling. Ahmed is the accepted spelling. There are a few other acceptable variants, but Ackmed is not one of them. Ackmed is not a name. No one with the name spells it as Ackmed.
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
      I don't particularly care if it's on your silly list or not. The relevant phoneme is as closely related to "ack" (depending on the dialect of English being spoken) as "ah" is...
      FIND ME ONE PERSON WITH THE NAME WHO SPELLS IT LIKE ACKMED!

FIND ME ONE PERSON ON THIS PLANET WITH THE NAME ACKMED!

Oh and who is an Arab. Since who knows what crazy pronunciations Pakistanis or Indonesians or something come up with.
      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• "Mahomet" and "Mussulman" used to be the accepted spellings in English too. "Ahmed" has a relatively short history in English, and is challenged by a number of alternates. Until it shows some kind of permanence of supremacy in the English lexicon, I am loth to condemn alternate transliterations which make just as much sense.

You, on the other hand, have a long history of loudly proclaiming anything you've experienced as the only way to do something, even if there is no logical basis for that assertion, exacerbated by your extraordinary lack of experience outside the ****hole ghetto you inhabit. This is yet another prime example.
        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Killing it is the new killing it
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Ackmed is used in an offensive context. That pronunciation is only used by offensive rednecks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
            Ackmed is used in an offensive context. That pronunciation is only used by offensive rednecks.

So now we can infer the state of mind (and race and geographic origin!) of people based solely on a reasonable alternate transliteration of a phoneme in Arabic.

Awesome.
            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Killing it is the new killing it
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• so albie, should I say "salam" or "salam halikoum" (sorry if mispelled) to you?
              "Life is the only RPG you'll ever play, The religious want to be one with the moderator, the scientists want to hack the game, and the gamers want to do both."

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackCat View Post
                I'm sure that your googlefu are good, so your are probably right about number of choppers and their capacity, but so what ? Do you expect them to sit idle just waiting to take off to Utoya or might they be deployed somewhere in Norway ? Maybe they were active in the activities due to the fact that Oslo centrum looked like a warzone ?

You probably know that Norway are a small country, heck, the pop is only some 5 mill - still, it's one of the larger countries in europe geographically and probably are the size of 5-6 american states. Even filled with lots of mountains.
                A pitiful plea for understanding given the attack occurred relatively near the capital. The fact of the matter is that it took 50 minutes for the SWAT to even be mobilized. That the military or police have no units with rapid access to helicopters just shows that those in charge of the police and military in Norway are incompetent and are lucky that this was the work of one person only.

Comment

• I think this thread WAS about a rampage in Oslo.

I hear the loon is now saying he did nothing reprehesible and does not deserve punishment. He wants time in Court to explain why he did it, and he wants to wear a military uniform.

Comment

• Originally posted by Braindead View Post
                    I think this thread WAS about a rampage in Oslo.

I hear the loon is now saying he did nothing reprehesible and does not deserve punishment. He wants time in Court to explain why he did it, and he wants to wear a military uniform.
                    Yeah, it's really sad that Albert would desecrate a memorial to the dead like this.

Comment

• Originally posted by Oerdin View Post
                      He wants the entire discipline of sociology removed from academia because "only a small minority of sociologists aren't traitors"

Well at least he got one thing right...
                      Unbelievable!

Comment

• The consonant in Ahmad is a stressed ha, often transliterated by the non-lazy as ḥ (Arabic ح, IPA /ħ/), which to our ear is nearly identical to the unstressed ha (Arabic ه, IPA /h/, same as our h) and quite distinct from the kha (Arabic خ, IPA /x/, AKA the phlegmy Germanic sound).

However, berating somebody over an uncommon transliteration is utterly shameful.

Remember:

SP
                        Last edited by Fve Crathva; July 25, 2011, 02:10.
                        I got the Jete from C.C. Sabathia. : Jon Miller

Comment

• Originally posted by Riesstiu IV View Post
                          I know Tolkien disliked his work being used as an allegory but I always regarded Mordor as the negative representation of the mass killing, corruption of nature, and industrialization that Tolkien had experienced throughout his lifetime while Gondor, the Shire, etc. represented a lost idyllic tradition. /Nerd
                          Black Númenóreans served Sauron.
                          Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
                          The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
                          The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

• a real tragedy. glad to hear our norweigan pollytubbies are ok.
                            "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

• What C0ckney said.
                              Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                              Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                              We've got both kinds

Comment

• Last news: A Pole has been taken into custody by the Polish police, on suspicion that he has something to do with the bombing of Oslo.
                                Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                                I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                                Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Working...
                                X