No announcement yet.

A Game of Thrones - TV Show Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IIRC the fire on Thoros' sword (which Beric borrows) is made from wildfire.

Personally I find the way magic is worked into the books pretty cool, which is why I like Bran's storyline a lot.

Comment

• Yeah, the flaming sword wasn't magic just chemistry (as wild fire is some sort of alchemist's creation) though the whole resurrection thing is definitely magic though usually it requires some sort of sacrifice (something has to die for something to live) and I'm still not convinced this flame god isn't evil especially since some of its adherents seem to love having people burned alive.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bugs ****ing Bunny View Post
        Generally speaking, the more supernatural this show gets, the less I enjoy it. I watch it for the scheming and intrigue, not the Dungeons and Dragons guff which just detracts from the rest of the plot.
        Are you talking **** about D&D?!??!!1?!
        John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bugs ****ing Bunny View Post
          Generally speaking, the more supernatural this show gets, the less I enjoy it.
          Should probably leave now
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Originally posted by Nikolai View Post
            I have read it. And I never thought of it that way. But it fits! Did you think this up yourself?
            Unfortunately not.
            I seem to miss all that stuff while reading, and just discover it 2nd hand on forums like westeros.org.
            Formerly known as "CyberShy"
            Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Plomp View Post
              Unfortunately not.
              I seem to miss all that stuff while reading, and just discover it 2nd hand on forums like westeros.org.
              Yup, I'm slow about that sort of thing I didn't even figure out about the tasty pies in ADwD until reading up on westeros.org.
              Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

• That was one of the few things I did pick up on. Glorious. Absolutely glorious.
                "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• That one was pretty obvious. I'm vaguely proud to have, for once, recognized a Shakespeare reference when I saw it. Titus Andronicus was his best play.

Comment

• I wouldn't go that far, but I go enjoy it quite a bit. It is extremely pulpy.

Spoiler:
                    Did you see the film adaptation released 10-15 years ago? Titus, Anthony Hopkins (natch) in the title role. Very weird, very awesome.

Also, I assume that wasn't the only Shakespeare reference you noticed in the fifth book...

Incidentally, quite a bit of this should probably be spoilered.

Comment

• I assume you're talking about
                      Spoiler:
                      Jon Snow's stabbing?

I haven't seen any adaptations of Titus Andronicus, only read it (and a while ago at that), and I don't seriously think it's his best play on merit but I like how goddamn violent it is.

Comment

• Correct on all counts.

The actor who plays Aaron, in particular, is magnificent. Highly recommend seeking it out.

Comment

• Spoiler:

Shakepeare, in GoT? Do you mean the stabbing of Caesar?
                          Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                          I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                          Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

• Spoiler:
                            We're talking about two things here. Wyman Manderly baked three of the Freys into pies and served them at Ramsay Bolton's wedding. That's the Titus Andronicus reference. When Jon Snow gets stabbed, that's a reference to Julius Caeser.

Comment

• Holy ****!

Joffrey shot a man in Reno just to watch him die.

Er, that is, shot a hooker in the red keep just to watch her die.

Holy holy holy ****, I didn't see that coming.

Comment

• I was just starting to like Ros, too.

I think Littlefinger's speech tonight removes any doubt: he is the Joker.

Comment

Working...
                                X